8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you fuel miser gurus ever down shift to slow down?
I always down shift to 3rd when coming to red lights, sometimes even into second. I always blip the gas to revmatch, but am i wasting gas doing this?

Im in the fuel saving phase right now, and am trying my best to get over 700kms to the tank int he city. The best i did was 600
So far ive minimized AC, pumped oem dunlops to 32psi, removed spare/jack, and try to drive as calm and slow as i can, shifting up before 3KRPM. However i always downshift, its a habit.
would just throwing it into neutral and braking give me a lot more milage out of the dang thing?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I throw it into N and brake if I know im going to go into a complete stop. (If the light then turns green while im in N and going like 10-20 I'll throw it in 2nd). I usually get anywhere between 22-27 mpg. Sounds normal to me so I'm cool with it. And I'd rather not put unnecessary work on the clutch. (like downshifting to stop)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, if you match the rpms to the flywheel perfectly, you shouldnt be doing too much more work for the clutch.
but im just curious to see how much this affect fuel milage

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
i read that downshifting uses less gas.

When your in neutral your engine is needing fuel to stay running. When you downshift, the cylinders are still moving without the need of fuel. If your not trying to create power, you dont use gas. I am not explaining it right. I cant think and its too late. There is a thread on here about it and whoever wrote what i am trying to re-write needs to make a sticky on it. it was detailed as hell

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I dont care what other people "say". Whenever the car is on the car is using fuel. period.
You dont care to understand is the correct wording.

Downshifting helps slow down and save wear on brakes, your engine cuts the fuel when your off the throttle because the wheels are keeping the engine alive rather than the fuel.
when your in neutral the engine has to use fuel to stay alive.
The best method is to leave it in whatever gear you are in and and clutch in when your at about 1000 rpms.

Personally I like to downshift because, it really helps slow the car down plus you get the benefit of hitting the gas in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Downshifting helps slow down and save wear on brakes, your engine cuts the fuel when your off the throttle because the wheels are keeping the engine alive rather than the fuel.
:thumb:

·
Registered
959 Posts
I dont care what other people "say". Whenever the car is on the car is using fuel. period.
:yeahthat:

ur still making the engine work when youre downshifting so i dont understand how that would save gas. just put it on neutral when u see red and let the car roll. just today, i averaged 30.1 MPG (312 miles) :dancing: when i filled up...i rarely drive in the 80s anymore, slowed down my driving overall, and shift below 3k rpms thats helped increase my mileage from the 28s to the upper 29s/30s...in the winter!! the past 2 winters, my Si has averaged 27mpg...so just be very conservative with your driving...just use :vtec: when necessary. :thumb:

·
Registered
959 Posts

The best method is to leave it in whatever gear you are in and and clutch in when your at about 1000 rpms.

Personally I like to downshift because, it really helps slow the car down plus you get the benefit of hitting the gas in an emergency situation.
it does save wear on brakes...but it does more wear on the engine by downshifting and slowing down an almost 3000lbs car with you in it...id rather pay a couple hundred dollars to replace my brakes than my engine.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I've put over 250k miles on various manual trans and hardly ever downshift when coming to a stop or slowing down. I down shift on my sportbike -just to make noise!

After 130k miles my VW Golf was still on the orginal rear brakes and only one set of pads on the front.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
it does save wear on brakes...but it does more wear on the engine by downshifting and slowing down an almost 3000lbs car with you in it...id rather pay a couple hundred dollars to replace my brakes than my engine.
Well your talking about wear on the transmission and clutch rather than engine. The engine will be spinning regardless of fuel or no fuel.
downshifting is a double edged sword, while you do have to rev match (or double clutch) which uses gas to get the rpms up, you save gas when you get it into gear, but that saving depends on distance and how low of a gear you downshift into. i prefer to downshift based on the fact that i was taught that way and plus drivers in florida arent actually the most safest.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've put over 250k miles on various manual trans and hardly ever downshift when coming to a stop or slowing down. I down shift on my sportbike -just to make noise!

After 130k miles my VW Golf was still on the orginal rear brakes and only one set of pads on the front.
:rockwoot: ding ding!!

Well your talking about wear on the transmission and clutch rather than engine. The engine will be spinning regardless of fuel or no fuel.
downshifting is a double edged sword, while you do have to rev match (or double clutch) which uses gas to get the rpms up, you save gas when you get it into gear, but that saving depends on distance and how low of a gear you downshift into. i prefer to downshift based on the fact that i was taught that way and plus drivers in florida arent actually the most safest.
ok...:pat:...then i'd rather pay a couple hundred dollars on replacing my brakes than thousands for a new transmission....but i guess you have the money for a new trans. :iorun:

to each his own i guess...ive been getting upper 29mpg/low 30mpg the past few weeks (in the winter!) so im sticking to how i drive...ive been averaging 27mpgs the past 2 winters so this type of driving im doing this yr is definitely giving me more miles to the gallon than the past. on downhills, i do recommend keeping it in gear though. :surrender:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that since the Rpms raise up when u downshift, it would have a negative effect on your milage, since the RPMS dictate how fast your engine is spinning.
When u throw it into neutral your engine is basically sitting at 1000rpm just like idling, so i figure that would be best for saving fuel.
Anyone have the real deal on this subject???

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
It's in the other threads, but the deal is that the fuel cuts off when coasting in gear above 1000 RPM as long as you let off the gas above 1500 RPM. The momentum of the car keeps the engine moving. I am curious as to whether the spark plugs still fire though....

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
when i am driving if i see that there is a red light ahead i always coast to it..i have a AT and i just let off the gas, with the AT you can kinda trick the trans to kick it out of gear and down to idle by letting off the gas and then tapping on it again..i don't typically put it into neutral..

·
Registered
127 Posts
when i am driving if i see that there is a red light ahead i always coast to it..i have a AT and i just let off the gas, with the AT you can kinda trick the trans to kick it out of gear and down to idle by letting off the gas and then tapping on it again..i don't typically put it into neutral..
useless information

·
Registered
87 Posts
on the subject of gas mileage. What makes your average gas mileage go down during the winter, is it the quality of the gasoline or the fact that your heater is running much more? Im just curious because my mileage just went from around 29-30 to 25.5.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.