8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 573 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just to let you guys know Honda has officially released a warranty extension for this issue. The extension is on 2006-2008 civic's equipped with r18 engines and it is covered 100% for 8 years from original purchase date with unlimited mileage. Original purchase date mean if you bought your car used its from whenever the 1st owner bought it. The warranty extension only applies to engines that actually have cracks not "I want a new engine because some day it might crack."

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just to let you guys know Honda has officially released a warranty extension for this issue. The extension is on 2006-2008 civic's equipped with r18 engines and it is covered 100% for 8 years from original purchase date with unlimited mileage. Original purchase date mean if you bought your car used its from whenever the 1st owner bought it. The warranty extension only applies to engines that actually have cracks not "I want a new engine because some day it might crack."
That's great news! I just bought out my lease on my '06 and that was my biggest concern.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I personally replaced two of these engines last week and one other guy in our shop replaced one a day earlier. The seem to always come in groups. Right now we have six cracked blocks sitting in crates against a wall in the shop just waiting to be picked up.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm curious. What is Honda replacing them with? I know the blocks are an improved design, but what about the engine internals? Are they new or reman?

·
Registered
17,716 Posts
I've done it with J-B weld on the block of a boat engine that someone left water in over the winter and it froze. the crack was bad but after the J-B weld cured(about a day) we cranked the boat right up and haven't had a problem with it since. we learned that J-B weld is actually as strong as they say it is and to never lend your boat to anyone who doesn't know to drain the water out of it when they are done playing with it.
If it's covered under warranty, why use JB weld? I'd rather take it to honda...

·
Registered
233 Posts
They are replaced with the same short block. All new internals. The blocks come completely assembled. We just swap over literally everything else. New upper gasket kits are installed too. The casting on the block is slightly thicker and in my opinion looks poorly done, ie a lot of excess metal. I guess they are taking no chances. Everything is 100% brand spanking new though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is interesting news -- can you provide any source or documentation?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well the source would be I work for honda as a master tech and I got the information from my boss and he got it from our rep. It is listed on honda's interactive network under warranty extension bulletin number 10-048. It is effective as of august 17, 2010.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well the source would be I work for honda as a master tech and I got the information from my boss and he got it from our rep. It is listed on honda's interactive network under warranty extension bulletin number 10-048. It is effective as of august 17, 2010.

Excellent, that's what I was looking for, thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Honestly we have seen no rhyme or reason as to what causes the failure. We see them in the heat and the cold. Most of our failures have been between 60k and 70k miles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine had 62,000 miles. I have read here somewhere that one of the possible causes is a porous thin casting in the area where they are typically cracking

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes that is the cause of the cracks however we don't know what makes it happen all of a sudden. That's what I meant. There is nothing that we have seen so far that will make it crack any faster.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes its luck of the draw. That's why its covers every 06-08 civic. There are no warning signs. It will literally just happen. You will be able to smell the coolant and in most cases there will be a large puddle on the ground.

21 - 40 of 573 Posts