8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Honda Civic Cracked Engine Block: 157 Complaints

This is for the 2006 Civic, basically now cars who are out of the 10 year extended warranty. Scarry how many reports are just in March April and May 2017.

I know, mine is a late 2007 and the reports for cracked engine are 2.5x less, but boy I'm getting worried about what "IF".

Both 2007 and 2008 seems to be having significantly less reports at least...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honda is very famous for this. Instead of putting out a recall to fix a safety or mechanical issue, they will put out a TSB instead, and sometimes "extend" the warranty. They say they will mail out a letter to all owners letting them know of the TSB. That pretty much leaves it up to the owner to know about the TSB and be aware of it.

I have had this happen twice now. One with the OPDS sensor in a 02 Accord, and one with the sun visors in my 08 Civic. Both times I had to find out that Honda had issued TSB's for these issues and extended the warranty to 7 years or 100,000 miles by looking online. And both times I was just beyond the warranty expiration. On the OPDS, I was able to get Honda to pay for the labor while I paid for the part. On the sun visors they pretty much told to to go pound sand. And both times when I was fighting with them to get the items repaired, they said they "mailed" out letters advising me of the extended warranty. No they didn't. The ONLY letter I have ever received from Honda regarding an extended warranty to repair an issue not caused by me was for the extended warranty on the engine block for the Civic.

This is how they get around issuing a recall.

To fix this would be pretty much a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The first step if you have an issue that has occurred past the warranty is to contact the dealership and file a warranty claim with the Service Manager. They will in turn contact their Division Service Manager or their Zone Office to see if they will goodwill the repair. They won't cover the repair fully, but they might pro-rate the repair, depending on how long out of warranty you are. Document who you talk to and when.

DO NOT call Honda's 800 number. They will not help you, and if you call them first you have taken it out of the dealerships hands (and generally, the dealership will be easier to work with than Honda).

·
Registered
626 Posts
In reality - the cars in question are 10+ years old, you're taking a gamble anyway purchasing anything that old. Honda has to draw the line somewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In reality - the cars in question are 10+ years old, you're taking a gamble anyway purchasing anything that old. Honda has to draw the line somewhere.
I'll have to disagree with you on some of that statement. While I agree that if you purchase a used car you inherit all the headaches that come with it, many owners have had their cars since new, including me. And we're not talking wear and tear items here, we're talking mechanical or safety items that have been poorly designed, and have been acknowledged as possibly being defective by Honda and prone to failure. Should it make a difference when that failure occurs if the failure is caused by an issue that is directly related to the poor design ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I disagree as a Original Owner of a 2007 EX with 87K miles that runs great and has had no issues. All servicing done at dealer.

I'd completely forgotten about this issue till I realized that my warranty has run out.

Honda should cover this issue as long as people keep their cars provided all recommended services are done, specially for original owners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 with only 35k on it. Meticulously maintained and garage kept. Last week it was diagnosed with a cracked engine block. We buy Honda’s because of their reliability. No more especially since the company is not willing to do anything

1 - 12 of 12 Posts