8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I've already searched.

I want (need) an engine block heater. Even the state of the art R18 sounds like a drowning cat when I try to start it in -20 weather. I'm a little ignorant on them. Is it a simple install, or does it require lifting the engine out of the car to put it in? I'm just wondering how much an install is going to cost me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This kind requires draining the engine coolant and removing the frost plug, but the engine stays in the car. Instructions are linked at the bottom of the page. I recommend using the right tools. I managed to round the head of the frost plug using a 12 point socket I already had instead of spending the extra money for a 6 point. No idea on the cost for someone else to do the work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just went to my local Honda dealer they had them in stock.
I had a friend of mine install the block heater, just remove the plug. Make sure you catch the engine coolant in a pan underneath then dispose, quickly screw in new block heater. The block heater was 100 in Canada. Installation quoted was 85. Good luck.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Might try a fleet supply dealer for alternatives. I had very good success with several in-line devices installed into a heater hose. These were quick & easy to install and had small circulation pumps to distribute heat throughout the entire water loop. There is nothing like instant defroster heat on a cold winter morning.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Might try a fleet supply dealer for alternatives. I had very good success with several in-line devices installed into a heater hose. These were quick & easy to install and had small circulation pumps to distribute heat throughout the entire water loop. There is nothing like instant defroster heat on a cold winter morning.
If I ever need to install one in my Civic,I would get the one you are talking about since it warms up the engine all around ,but I have gone through a very cold Canadian winter without a block heater and had no problem starting and warming up the engine,all I did was to drive around a block in 2nd gear (20 km /h)for about 2-3 minutes and the car warmed up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The install on the R18 is fairly simple, the drain plug you have to remove is on the front of the motor. I just installed a block heater on the K20 in my '09 Si and it was awful... the bung for the heating element is on the back of the engine and really high, above the oil filter! What a bear... I also installed an oil pan heater, those two working in conjunction do a great job of preheating the engine!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I found that the engine block heater works great when starting out at home, but didn't help a bit in the parking lot at work. At -20F the engine cools off rapidly. At least we have a pretty good heater in our Civics. It starts throwing out a little heat after a few blocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts