8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

In the 10 years I've owned my R18, I've probably degreased it 1 or 2 times. Yes, I should be shot, I know. What dressing are you guys using after you de-grease? I've tried BacktoBlack and other "creamy" (non-spray) products and even Amour-All. I even hit the inside wheel wells, but would like to find a product that lasts and is safe for the engine bay/wells.

thanks!

Meguiars Vs. Stoner Trim Shine. (looks promising)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I use Autoglym's Vinyl & Rubber Care*, it leaves a clean but somewhat shiny appearance with out being overly glossy if sprayed on a wet engine, applied to dry parts the effect is much more glossy but requires buffing with a lint less cloth. They also make a Bumper and Trim Gel that can be used to spot shine any plastic or rubber parts, it seems to last longer under the hood than on the trim outside (weathering obvious washes it away in time).

With Vinyl & Rubber Care, post washing & rinsing of the bay you just spray it on while things are still wet, it seems to dry to an even coating, its less work than applying it to each part with a cloth though because it uses the water to level out you will have to spot dry areas which are low and which water pools (the cavities around the lip of the R18 air box for example).

I'd say both last for a couple of months, rain, road grime and such will eventually coat over things before it washes off.

*I use the same stuff on the lower part of the doors and interior plastics, IMHO its much better than Amour-All's offering, smells better too (orange scent), but is the same type of water based silicone shine sprays.

I'd just wash the wheel wells well with soap and dedicated microfiber cloths to pick up the dirt film, unless your parking inside to admire off season (i.e. winter). A long lasting product would be one of those wipe on solvent/polymer products. I have used the tire version on my summer tires and they are still very shiny after two weeks (the product was applied last November after they came off for storage and the snow tires got installed). The manufacture claims 6th months but given the porous and flexible nature of tires I am doubtful. There is a product like that on the market for restoring the look of vinyl plastic furniture, given that the well wells are similar plastic it should work on on those parts.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I use Zaino Z16 tire gloss. It leaves a nice clean matte sheen and isn't at all greasy feeling that I like over every other product I've used.

One coating lasts almost an entire year. Cleaning off the dust and any water spots in between coats is as easy as a quick wipe down with a microfiber cloth.

I haven't cleaned my car in a long time but this is what a quick wipe down of the drivers side radiator cover, ecu cover, fuse box cover and drivers hood strut looks like. I last applied the Z16 about 9 months ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you hose your engine bay @EdNaviEx?
Not yet. I still haven't purchased the Stoner product. I can't seem to find it and can only find it on Amazon. Problem is that Amazon only offers it in a 6 pack. It goes for $30 (not bad), so I dunno.

I'll post any pics I can if/when I get to this.

Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used tire shine on a clean engine in the past. That would give it a nice shine, and would last as well. oil based would attract dirt though. water based was better.

What I will be trying next this weekend though is Corrosion Block.
Not that my engine bay is bad, but I want to keep it from looking bad.
it maintains the rubbers, and gives it a nice gloss. metals always stay fresh & clean as well.

one could use WD-40, and the results are phenomenal as well, but over time the WD-40 would swell up and deteriorate the rubber components, like hoses, wires, etc. over time. ( a very long time)

have not had that issue with Corrosion block. will try and post up pics this weekend. Used it before on outboard motors and they look like new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts