8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
I guess im screwed hopefully I can pass with header and catback in mac and retuned back to stock tuned

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
We're you flagged? if not use the OEM calibration with all your sensors on and functioning. You should be all set. If not throw a cat on and go to Mac. I didn't have that option with the turbo kit on.
They opened my hood but didn't look under my car or put it on their lift.

·
Registered
63 Posts
EDIT-i should be able to pass in future with a hybrid tune as I re-read the thread. that's correct right?

just paid for a tuning update via [email protected] E-Tunez.com

glad to hear you are free and clear now Tfox.

so skip Braintree, skip Bourne. Medford was okay for me pretty easy. maybe Brockton is not bad anyone?

what was the sensor issue did you need to drive the car around a little on cruise to set the monitors?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The inspector failed the test because your car has more then one not complete sensors. Now this varies depending on the year of the car. If its a 2000+ then the maximum not completes is one. From 96-99 you can have two at max, below 96, its tailpipe test. When the guy checks your car, he needs to pop the hood. Most inspectors don't care so they dont, but if they do and see no oxygen sensor they will fail the test. When an inspection is done right,there is no way you can pass it without oxygen sensors,or incomplete sensors

·
Registered
63 Posts
actually no i don't think thats right el_andy. here is why:

*my car has sensors working. has a secondary O2. its all bolt ons.
*i passed all emissions each of last 2 years with the tune and passed emissions this year
*this year the inspection station tech was mystified, he even said dont get it you passed all emissions and all your sensors your flagged to go to MAC and have no idea why sorry buddy
*I was standing right there at the MAC center next to my car, and the fellow had my last years and this years report and they both had red circled "CAN" where the VIN# was supposed to be. We had a long conversation about why i failed-they had me flagged from past years inspection with the "CAN" so no matter if I was even stock tune this year, would have failed this year i was flagged in the MA emissions database to go to a MAC center

Maybe I am wrong, maybe the MAC tech was wrong, so lets hear it....

You right-if your >1 sensors not working you don't pass emissions.

But this is entirely different case- all my sensors work or at most 1 does not, emissions pass, emissions have passed thus for last 2 years with my tune. Thats not the issue for me maybe others.

I am curious why a hybrid tune is supposed to work-does it not have the "CAN" on the ECU where the VIN# is supposed to be??

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Well I delayed long enough... I finally made my appt... tomorrow evening at medford.

I re did my tune using the native civic cal / hybrid / MAF / whatever you want to call it, so we'll see how it does... All my monitors have been ready, so we'll see if the vin # issue is ok on these tunes. I'm expecting that it will be, but time will tell.

I'll post back as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
---PASSED USING A MAF / CIVIC CAL---

All monitors turned on including S02, but I did turn off the MAF sensor over / under limit trouble code. So this should be proof that boosted people DO NOT need to return to stock... just say you did or you fixed it. Read on.

MAC center was the easiest thing ever, the guy didn't even go outside and look at the car or even plug it in. He just said I was flagged for a VIN mismatch and asked if the shop plugged me into another car. I said no and asked what the vin number on his sheet said. He said he didn't have access to the actual data so could not tell me if it said "CAN" or anything else. So I said I think it's due to me reflashing my ECU and said it was running code from a non US car when I got it inspected the last 2 times. I said I got rid of that tune and due to the research I've done I think it should be good to go now because it's back to the US civic code (didn't say stock :) ). I told him all my monitors were ready to go and I could get re inspected right away... and as quick as that he removed the flag and said to go get it inspected and call him back directly if it failed. It was so quick, it only took about 15 minutes.. including parking, finding the place, and waiting for him to be ready.

I then ran home and got it re inspected... they plugged it in and it passed. Back dated to the original fail month of May, and I had to repay, but I'm happy it passed.

That was Medford btw. No idea if it's the main guy or not.

And as a note these MAC centers are not run by Mass, they are Parsons Corp, the actual company that runs the MA Vehicle Check system... They're not out to bust balls, but to correct an anomaly that was spotted in your inspection... I'd maybe worry if the car is a multi level fail just due to the fact that these inspectors can lose their drivers license for getting caught passing cars, but these MAC centers are for OBDII stuff, not safety stuff.

·
Registered
432 Posts
---PASSED USING A MAF / CIVIC CAL---

All monitors turned on including S02, but I did turn off the MAF sensor over / under limit trouble code. So this should be proof that boosted people DO NOT need to return to stock... just say you did or you fixed it. Read on.

MAC center was the easiest thing ever, the guy didn't even go outside and look at the car or even plug it in. He just said I was flagged for a VIN mismatch and asked if the shop plugged me into another car. I said no and asked what the vin number on his sheet said. He said he didn't have access to the actual data so could not tell me if it said "CAN" or anything else. So I said I think it's due to me reflashing my ECU and said it was running code from a non US car when I got it inspected the last 2 times. I said I got rid of that tune and due to the research I've done I think it should be good to go now because it's back to the US civic code (didn't say stock :) ). I told him all my monitors were ready to go and I could get re inspected right away... and as quick as that he removed the flag and said to go get it inspected and call him back directly if it failed. It was so quick, it only took about 15 minutes.. including parking, finding the place, and waiting for him to be ready.

I then ran home and got it re inspected... they plugged it in and it passed. Back dated to the original fail month of May, and I had to repay, but I'm happy it passed.

That was Medford btw. No idea if it's the main guy or not.

And as a note these MAC centers are not run by Mass, they are Parsons Corp, the actual company that runs the MA Vehicle Check system... They're not out to bust balls, but to correct an anomaly that was spotted in your inspection... I'd maybe worry if the car is a multi level fail just due to the fact that these inspectors can lose their drivers license for getting caught passing cars, but these MAC centers are for OBDII stuff, not safety stuff.
So did u passed with all back to stock or bolts ons? Im thinking going medford then just a hike from lowell

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
So did u passed with all back to stock or bolts ons? Im thinking going medford then just a hike from lowell
I did not go back to stock, neither tune or engine. I am supercharged and have bigger injectors so I can't put the stock tune back on without buying parts to make the stock injectors fit, which I didn't feel like doing unless I HAD to.... and I wanted to test this out for my own benefit, and everyone else here with questions about this....

So, I left all that installed and changed ONLY my tune. I showed up to the MAC center with the new tune, and I got it re inspected on the new tune. The mac guy said that if there was an issue I would fail and immediately be re flagged and I would not be able to try again (which would have been the actual stock tune for me) till the flag was removed once more... but it passed, so that proved the new tunes are good.

So change your tune over to the new Civic / Hybrid / MAF tune (they go by so many names, so that's why I use the slashes, sorry if it's confusing) and go to the mac. You'll be fine. If you have catless exhaust then fix that first, you will need your rear o2 working / turned on or the cat monitor will never set.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I did not go back to stock, neither tune or engine. I am supercharged and have bigger injectors so I can't put the stock tune back on without buying parts to make the stock injectors fit, which I didn't feel like doing unless I HAD to.... and I wanted to test this out for my own benefit, and everyone else here with questions about this....

So, I left all that installed and changed ONLY my tune. I showed up to the MAC center with the new tune, and I got it re inspected on the new tune. The mac guy said that if there was an issue I would fail and immediately be re flagged and I would not be able to try again (which would have been the actual stock tune for me) till the flag was removed once more... but it passed, so that proved the new tunes are good.

So change your tune over to the new Civic / Hybrid / MAF tune (they go by so many names, so that's why I use the slashes, sorry if it's confusing) and go to the mac. You'll be fine. If you have catless exhaust then fix that first, you will need your rear o2 working / turned on or the cat monitor will never set.
Ok so on flashpro pro those are the tune names I look for? Sorry I have my tuner do all my tuning so I have no idea how work fp but just put a base map from one of those and set my 02 then I should be good right?

By the way I think I spoke to you before at new england dragway are the one that had the fuelflex badge in the rear of your si?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Ok so on flashpro pro those are the tune names I look for? Sorry I have my tuner do all my tuning so I have no idea how work fp but just put a base map from one of those and set my 02 then I should be good right?

By the way I think I spoke to you before at new england dragway are the one that had the fuelflex badge in the rear of your si?
holy crap, yeah that's me, good memory! That surprised me, especially since my user info pic is wrong and not even a civic, haha.

Yeah tell your tuner all the tunes with "RACE" in them are the bad ones.

The ones that say RRB in the title are the way to go, you can run them 100%.

For an example mine started off as Civic-Si-RRB-2-Tuned, and I went from there. For you just pick something close to what your mods are and run it for a few days before MAC time, or talk to your tuner if you are going to get a new tune. No need to worry about the o2 sensors, all that stuff is turned on and ready to go in the RRB tunes from the start.

·
Registered
432 Posts
holy crap, yeah that's me, good memory! That surprised me, especially since my user info pic is wrong and not even a civic, haha.

Yeah tell your tuner all the tunes with "RACE" in them are the bad ones.

The ones that say RRB in the title are the way to go, you can run them 100%.

For an example mine started off as Civic-Si-RRB-2-Tuned, and I went from there. For you just pick something close to what your mods are and run it for a few days before MAC time, or talk to your tuner if you are going to get a new tune. No need to worry about the o2 sensors, all that stuff is turned on and ready to go in the RRB tunes from the start.
Haha yea I remember talking to you but was not sure but ok good info maybe u can add me on fp jonathan rivera and like that if I have any issues I just get in contact with u like that or if I cant get my tuner to do for me on time I can have u do for me and ill throw u a couple bucks cause idk how mess with fp haha

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
yeah feel free to ping me if you ever have any issues or need a hand. I don't do any social networking stuff so just PM me here, I get the message notifications and usually get back asap or within a day or two if I am away.

·
Registered
432 Posts
yeah feel free to ping me if you ever have any issues or need a hand. I don't do any social networking stuff so just PM me here, I get the message notifications and usually get back asap or within a day or two if I am away.
Ok man I thanks I really appreciate it im store my car for winter but need inspection in March so im buy a defouler and I might call u see if u can help me out with the fp

·
Registered
172 Posts
ugh.. im having the same issues. I failed emissions 9/6 because of a readiness code - catalyst converter..
i guess i have the most recent update with FPM and a hybrid tune. My wide band was previously replacing the secondary 02 sensor with its own sensor for AFR..

I now have a secondary 02 sensor w/ a defouler that ill be swapping out..
My concern and question is.. will i still fail ? or should this fix the issue

201 - 220 of 257 Posts