8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyone have a thought why my Emission (engine) light popped on? I haven't been driving much because of the lockdowns, etc... but I have been taking the car out once a week to get it moving, etc... (some round town to get to a highway, then some even HW miles... maybe 20-30 miles). It was fine last week, but when I went out today the "engine" light was on when I started it up.

I am leaning 02 sensor, but fearing worse...

The details:

08 Si Coupe
Unmodified other than a short ram air intake (been on since the car was new, clean filter)
Literally passed inspection less than a month ago
Original Owner
Only 91 -- 93 octane

Thanks for any and all thoughts, and in before "take it to AutoZone to read the code" (which I'll eventually have to do, I presume).

·
Registered
229 Posts
If it is emission related it could be either the O2 sensors (mostly the downstream sensor) or worse, the CAT.

But before putting in money on the parts, suggest that you get the car scanned for the code for confirmation and also visually inspect the CAT and then invest on the parts.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is emission related it could be either the O2 sensors (mostly the downstream sensor) or worse, the CAT.

But before putting in money on the parts, suggest that you get the car scanned for the code for confirmation and also visually inspect the CAT and then invest on the parts.

Thanks, yeah... I suspect the o2 but doubt the Cat just because it recently passed inspection, but who knows until scanned :/

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks, yeah... I suspect the o2 but doubt the Cat just because it recently passed inspection, but who knows until scanned :/
I was just wondering what made you think that the CEL was emission related? Why can't it be anything else?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was just wondering what made you think that the CEL was emission related? Why can't it be anything else?
More often than not when the CEL comes on, it is emission related.
Kind of like when a woman is upset, more often than not it is drama related.

In both situations, it is not always the case but typically...

·
Registered
229 Posts
More often than not when the CEL comes on, it is emission related.
Kind of like when a woman is upset, more often than not it is drama related.

In both situations, it is not always the case but typically...
LOL... just because car is always related to feminine gender that was a dramatic comparison...

But typically the CEL comes on basically with the malfunction of any of the sensors related to the engine like the MAF, TPS, CPS, Oil Pressure, etc and not just the emission. But the symptoms do vary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts