8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am getting tons of PMs and still see threads on em1 issues with slipping and engagement. Hopefully this will clarify everything and put this to bed once and for all. When i originally did my cmc swap i followed the illustrations on hybrid racing's website and like many others, ripped the cmc apart and swapped pieces that should not be swapped. The main piece being the retainer that hold the rod, piston and spring inside the cmc bore. te retainer from the stock cmc has 2 tabs that compresses the piston slightly, but causes the clutch to not fully engage when the pedal is released. So the slipping that occurs isnt from worn clutch but not fully engaged clutch. This will eventually though lead to worn clutch if not corrected.

I found this only after replacing a perfectly good clutch because i thought it was worn. when the brand new one slipped, i tried to gravity bleed my clutch and noticed fluid wasn't moving when the cylinder was not compressed. when i removed it i tried to blow from the input to output and couldn't do it. The cmc was also actually struggling to get fluid from the reservoir. luckily i hadn't thrown away anything and rebuilt the em1 to "out the box".

Once completed correctly my clutch felt the same as stock. many say that a specific bracket and rod need to be used but i think any should be ok once it is adjusted correctly.

Here is a shot of the parts that should be used when doing this swap.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
You're forgetting the most important part. This does NOT always solve the issue.

You almost always need to adjust the pedal stop switch at the top of the pedal travel to get the proper amount of free play.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Thanks guys yeah i pm u both i appreciate it. Theres too much information all over in that thread so i honed in on u 2 since you both seemed the most fluent with this install. Im just really fed up with these cmc's. 1 stock 2 omni now this. The OMNI Sucks i dont care what anyone says yes its shorter distance and works great when it works, but a performance cmc that cant handle slow daily driving without blowing a gasket over and over is very very frusturating! I will do everything to make sure i follow the steps both u 2 provided.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Okay i just got my car back from shop. Soon as i went to pick it up i lifted up hood unbolted underdash cover to check everything. Pushed the slave in by hand and i couldnt even push it went under dash and sure enough the pedal switch was all the way in. I had them undoe the switch now its all the way out. I went to slave and u can push it in by hand ever so slightly. I think i need to go home and adjust the rod one way or the other to give some more freeplay. Being the switch is all the way up and clutch pedal is basically even with brake pedal im assuming adjusting the cmc rod itself willl allow for lil more freeplay?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Okay i just got my car back from shop. Soon as i went to pick it up i lifted up hood unbolted underdash cover to check everything. Pushed the slave in by hand and i couldnt even push it went under dash and sure enough the pedal switch was all the way in. I had them undoe the switch now its all the way out. I went to slave and u can push it in by hand ever so slightly. I think i need to go home and adjust the rod one way or the other to give some more freeplay. Being the switch is all the way up and clutch pedal is basically even with brake pedal im assuming adjusting the cmc rod itself willl allow for lil more freeplay?
As long as you can push the slave in by hand...then your CMC is adjusted fine!!..If you want more freeplay ONLY adjust the pedal switch upward more!!

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
I couldnt really i just did it now i have it set that i can push the slave in by hand but if i turned the rod the other way by the slightest then i wont be able to. So i think im good to go now. Thanks for your help guys i will post once i drive around awhile with it. I dont want to see another CMC for this car again!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Glad you got squared away. Thanks woot for adding that. I guess i forgot to add that by assuming everyone know how to correctly adjust the pedal and were just using wrong parts. Still though, you can adjust the rod and switch till thy kingdom come, if that stock retainer is in there it wont work correctly unless you bend or snap the tabs off.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
im sorry but when you looked at the picture from hybrid racing, you swap the wrong parts out?
The information on this page is correct dont go by the hybrid page unless they fixed that page but according to this page is the way i did it. And my car seems correct at this point :woowoo: so listen to these guys install correct bleed correct and set correct and at the end of the day u will still have a clutch!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just in my experience all the ones i've installed i had to adjust that switch or they still had the issue.
Yea it all depends on what combination of rod and bracket are used and the amount of free play in the pedal. the stock bracket is shorter and i believe i used that. probably why i didnt need to adjust my switch.

I dont believe in having much free play if any at all. just enough that i can feel/see a difference. if that makes sense. if there is too much free play it could potentially take up pedal travel that isnt transferred to the cmc. so when the pedal in floored the cmc might not be fully compressed.

what you think?

·
Registered
71 Posts
First impression when i installed my em1 cmc by following instruction on the HR website is the shift was very smoother and clutch point was higher than oem and six month later started to slip and second gear grind appears. Now i fix the swap em1 retainer and em1 snap ring are in place , clutch point return as oem , shift feel little bit harder as oem too . Last week my second gear restarted to grind ...what the **** happen with this **** , my pedal clutch clicking noise appears too ... i feel like there is no solution for second gear grind ! And for ya Parrowman do you have any second gears gridning till u've change your em1 retainer and em1 snap ring ? do you feel the shift are return to oem.feeling and clutch point ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm doing this soon and I just wanna be clear.. So you just put the OEM CMC ROD on the EMI CMC? Just exchange rods? Use all the parts from the EM1 CMC except the rod?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts