8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fd-zwe1fWB0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fd-zwe1fWB0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Steven Paul "Elliott" Smith (August 6, 1969 – October 21, 2003) was an American singer-songwriter and musician. Smith was born in Omaha, Nebraska, raised primarily in Texas, and resided for a significant portion of his life in Portland, Oregon, where he first gained popularity. His primary instrument was the guitar, but he was also proficient at piano, clarinet, bass, drums and harmonica. Smith had a distinctive vocal style characterized by his "whispery, spiderweb-thin delivery"[1] and use of multi-tracking to create vocal harmonies.

After playing in the rock band Heatmiser for several years, Smith began his solo career in 1994 with releases on the independent record labels Cavity Search and Kill Rock Stars. In 1997 he signed a contract with DreamWorks Records, for which he recorded two albums. Smith rose to mainstream prominence when his song "Miss Misery", included in the soundtrack for the film Good Will Hunting, was nominated for an Oscar in the Best Original Song category in 1997.

Smith battled with depression, alcoholism and drug addiction for years, and these topics often appeared in his lyrics. At age 34, he died in Los Angeles, California from two stab wounds to the chest.[2] The autopsy evidence was inconclusive as to whether the wounds were self-inflicted.[3] At the time of his death, Smith was working on his sixth studio album, From a Basement on the Hill, which was released posthumously on October 19, 2004.
Soon after his death, a fan memorial was initiated outside of Solutions Audio (4334 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, California), the site at which the cover of the Figure 8 album was shot. Farewell messages to Smith were written on the wall, flowers were brought and photos, candles and empty bottles of alcohol mentioned in Smith's songs were left.[60] The owner of Solutions has, as of April 2008, allowed the memorial to stand. Memorial concerts were held in several cities in America and England.[54] A petition was soon put forth with intent to make part of the Silver Lake area a memorial park in Smith's honor. It received over 10,000 signatures, but no plans to go forth with the park have been announced.[54] Another memorial is located inside Smith's former high school, Lincoln High, and was erected in July 2006.[61]

and finally after fresh paint.

and photos from the album cover/sleeves.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wrote on that wall. i was there like 6 months after he died. it was a sad day.
i did as well. I just dont remember when it was.

every once in a while i still head down there and just read all the messages left behind.

·
Registered
627 Posts
yeah, i go to LA to see a friend of mine quite reguarly and we check it out from time to time. stupid graff. artists ruin everything.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4cJv6s_Yjw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4cJv6s_Yjw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
51 Posts
Heatmiser's Mic City Sons is still one of my all time favorite albums. Elloitt Smith was truely a musical genius, IMO. RIP.
- Greg

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
so where's this wall at? it helps if you post up the address.
And Elliot Smith? Never heard of the guy but his music seems tranquil

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so where's this wall at? it helps if you post up the address.
And Elliot Smith? Never heard of the guy but his music seems tranquil
4334 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, California

2-3 blocks from pinks. make a night out of it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts