8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 civic exl coupe
So I did the test with the test light where you connect the test light clip to the negative terminal connector(not battery), and touch the negative post of the battery with test the light. If the light comes on that means you have a open circuit that's not closing and what not. I disconnected every fuse under the hood, and under the steering wheel for this test as well. I couldn't find it!? Has anyone ever ran into this problem?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Are you looking for something draining your battery ?
Unless something specific is not working there is no reason to look for open circuit's.

If the light comes on it means you have a completed circuit from the negative battery post, through the test light, through the negative cable terminal, though someplace back to the positive battery post on the battery.. or in simple terms a complete circuit. The issue is how much current, amperage, is flowing ?
This could indicate you have a circuit causing a drain an abnormal drain on the battery. But on '08 08 EX there will always be a small amount of current flowing for the security and remote lock/unlock circuits.

There are wire diagrams posted on this site, don't remember the link but search will find it. Removing all the fuses is a good first step and eliminates a lot. I next set up the same test using the positive side of the battery, but either will work.
Then remove the connectors from the fuse panel's. After that there is not much that should be directly to the battery directly, unless someone has added something, like a stereo amp, connected to the battery with an inline fuse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing I can think of is these pins in the oem radio harness. Has the oem navigation system audio system. The audio will go away because I believe one of the pins is coming off of the harness not touching. Was gonna just install new harnesses instead just to avoid that problem anyways, but not having luck finding stock radio harnesses. Besides that, when I turn the car off and leave the key turned over the check engine starts to blink then goes away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you looking for something draining your battery ?
Unless something specific is not working there is no reason to look for open circuit's.

If the light comes on it means you have a completed circuit from the negative battery post, through the test light, through the negative cable terminal, though someplace back to the positive battery post on the battery.. or in simple terms a complete circuit. The issue is how much current, amperage, is flowing ?
This could indicate you have a circuit causing a drain an abnormal drain on the battery. But on '08 08 EX there will always be a small amount of current flowing for the security and remote lock/unlock circuits.

There are wire diagrams posted on this site, don't remember the link but search will find it. Removing all the fuses is a good first step and eliminates a lot. I next set up the same test using the positive side of the battery, but either will work.
Then remove the connectors from the fuse panel's. After that there is not much that should be directly to the battery directly, unless someone has added something, like a stereo amp, connected to the battery with an inline fuse.
Thanks for the reply bro. I literally forgot the stock oem amp went out. I believe that will be my next area to check. I did it the the way you explained as well just to be safe. But cant think of anything else. Yes I did install a amp. But this was going on before all that, and I got a gel battery as well, new durable terminals for clean connection for the bigger gauge wire. Last thing will be to take it in and look for the parasitic drain on the machine. Thx once again for the reply. Everything helps bro.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts