8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know it's just a fan and I'm going to get some of you in here and just say yea it sucks, but take the time to read this. I'm alright when it comes to engines but I don't know it all. I do know that this idea gets thrown away when it gets brought up, but take a look at this.

According to the video below, this "Electric Supercharger" (leaf blower) can blow 2 full cans of beer out of it :)biggrin:)
YouTube - ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER,TURBO

And although that's pointless, this video shows this lovely R&D'd item producing 6psi of boost on a boost gauge.
YouTube - Electric Supercharger, Turbo 6psi Boost Gauge

Now I know the engine wasn't running, but it did produce 6psi on that boost gauge. Would it be different if the engine was running? Note that I do not wish to use or do anything with this 'Electric Supercharger' but I wonder if it would yield any gains, maybe make a cool BOV noise for those lovely people out there who want the noise :rotfl: And I just want to start some discussion. No annoying arguments and bashing please.

Update: This one actually works! - Video And here's another website trying it. eRacing :: Home :: The e-RAM Electric Supercharger from e-Racing Motorsports

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
your car will suck in more air than that thing can throw at it by itself. it isint worth it. It's someones dumb idea on "how to get rich quick" and will screw **** up.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Ok so what it made 6 psi with out the engine running. Once that engin is running the thing will NOT overcome the vacuum inside the manifold.

I gaurantee that if he turned it on while the engine was running that it wouldnt even move that boost guage.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so what it made 6 psi with out the engine running. Once that engin is running the thing will NOT overcome the vacuum inside the manifold.

I gaurantee that if he turned it on while the engine was running that it wouldnt even move that boost guage.
I almost fully agree, but the video with the leaf blower in the Si did work, so idk. I wouldn't do it, but I'm jw.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
OK here you go:

The Engine is going to be sucking in about 20 in/hg vacuum when running. If you look here for a conversion table you find that 1 in/hg = .49 psi.

OK, so that means you will need to make over 10 PSI before it's actually going to pressurize the IM on a running engine. In other words the vacuum of the engine will out run the fan and you will have a RESTRICTION in your intake.

If you dynoed the SAME, let alone MORE before and after I'd be surprised.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
so how does a supercharger work at 6psi??? sure it is directry on the IM so i can see that working, but I would think that it would work...the car net gained HP didn't it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK here you go:

The Engine is going to be sucking in about 20 in/hg vacuum when running. If you look here for a conversion table you find that 1 in/hg = .49 psi.

OK, so that means you will need to make over 10 PSI before it's actually going to pressurize the IM on a running engine. In other words the vacuum of the engine will out run the fan and you will have a RESTRICTION in your intake.

If you dynoed the SAME, let alone MORE before and after I'd be surprised.
:yeahthat:

For the hp gained with the leaf blower, the leaf blower wasn't sticked to the intake so the air was added to the vacuum of the engine but if you install it properly, I also think there will be a restriction cause the fan won't run enough... Sorry guys i'm french so I'm trying my best to explain with the good words...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I loled!

Ok, did u see how LONG it took to get to 6 psi? ... wow! While it's trundling on up to 6psi, your poor engine is coughing and sputtering b/c its demand is FAR more than the little blower can handle, esp since its just a FAN and not a compressor.

Ok i dont doubt that an elec supercharger would be possible, but you HAVE to get that energy from somewhere. Big ol' elec batt pack like the hybrids? That's a hurdle.

As for jsb03f's question, i dont think anyone answered it.
"so how does a supercharger work at 6psi??? sure it is directry on the IM so i can see that working, but I would think that it would work...the car net gained HP didn't it?"

The supercharger is *compressing* air and giving the engine OVER atmospheric pressure for it to feed on, actually forcing the air in, instead of the engine sucking in atmospheric pressure. Its volume and pressure that does the trick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.