8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, yea i know this is bad, but i got done installing some Ebay HID's on my buddies 4dr SI, new 08'.

These:

We did a clean install, and everything. Have the ballasts all nicely tucked in the bumper, but we put the car back together, go to the 2nd click, and nothing!

They looked like decent quality, but now they arent working! What do you think it could be? I remember reading that with thes cheap kits sometimes the ballasts could be bad? But both? I checked the 10amp fuses, as on my prelude with my HIDs they blew. And needed 15amp ones.

But i pull the fuse and they were fine, the 10 amp stock ones.

So what could it be? We have every thing hooked up right. :sadwavy:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
80 bucks lol. Well my buddy did.

One more question, how do most HID kits work with the day time running lights? SI's have that right? As i understand it, day time running lights work all day, but just at low voltage. Will this effect the HIDs?

·
Registered
75 Posts
a common problem is that the plug and play plugs take alot of pressure to snap in. Whoever suggested channel locks on both sides, that worked for me. Give it a shot!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i clicked it in, i had to remove this white piece(in the oem connector) order for it to work right.

I dunno. LOL I heard a click, i used the frame as leverage and my body weight to push it in to click. Its clicked in, i might just take 2 wires and make a direct connection from the OEM plug to the ballast plug to see if thats it.

I doubt now that it could be the ballast going bad. Who knows, got too dark out and now my buddy is running around with his high beams pissing everyone off hahahaha.

·
Banned
2,384 Posts
Before you guys install these kits... You need to test them BEFORE they go on your car. I bought a cheap eBay kit H3 for my fogs and have had no problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea lol. I shot myself in the foot on this one! LOL Well pulling the bumper will be a blast now for me!

On my civic hatchback 93', first time i pulled my dash it took me like almost 2 hrs. LOL

After I did, i had to fix my heater core, so i had to pull the dash again, this time it only took 15mins! Hahaha.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I bought the same kit for my 98 civic beater and for my gf's fit and they worked perfect. No problems now for like 6 months.

I would check the harness wires from the kit make sure it is going positeve to positive from the wire harness to the ballast and to the car. My buddy had the problem with his kit and all i did was reverse the wire because it was backwards positive was going into neg and vis versa. so check that. if thats not it them you can pm me and will try my best to help you

·
Registered
229 Posts
double check which position you connecting the connectors...make sure the +&- wires are match look for the color on the wires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ It's because you bought EBAY brand HID's...ever think about that haha.
Haha. Thats what i told him! He was like its just 80 bucks, if they suck then its no big deal. I used to rock my baller Phillips Ultinon 6000k kit, lasted a looong time, and looked and worked perfect in my non projectored Prelude back like almost 5 years ago! LOL But he went the cheap route cause a buddy reccomended them to him...pssshhh
I bought the same kit for my 98 civic beater and for my gf's fit and they worked perfect. No problems now for like 6 months.

I would check the harness wires from the kit make sure it is going positeve to positive from the wire harness to the ballast and to the car. My buddy had the problem with his kit and all i did was reverse the wire because it was backwards positive was going into neg and vis versa. so check that. if thats not it them you can pm me and will try my best to help you
Yea man i'll see whats up tommorrow, we're gonna tackle this again. Thanks dude. :thumb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
now THAT may be the ballast or bulb, talk to them and tell them that. Most of these ebay cheapie HID kits have a warrenty surprisingly. So send them an email and you might be able to get a new ballast.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
I waited like 2 weeks for this?! I hate ebay. I knew I shouldnt have listened to my buddy. I was so excited when I got home from work and my kit was here. Then I deal with the nonsense of takin apart half my car to find out a ballast is gone. If they dont send me a new ballast im gonna trash this guy everywhere I can. hehe. I put the good ballast on the side that was shutting down and the bulb is fine so I know its the ballast.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
I checked my connections like a 100 times. I even switched ballasts from side to side and the same one kept doing the same thing no matter what combo of parts i threw at it. I swithched harnesses and bulbs. It still keeps shutting off after 15 seconds. I give up. I'm just gonna wait for a new ballast. I hope. By the way the company's called VVME. Its a seperate website from the name on ebay. I forget the name he uses on ebay tho.

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
Do you hear a faint humming noise from the ballast when turning them on?

If you do, it could be your wiring or the bulbs.

If you dont, it could be your ground or the ballasts are bad.

I have an Ebay kit also and had to replace 1 ballast within the week of purchase. Other than that, no problems.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts