8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that it is good to change the motor oil early around 1-2k miles because of the chemicals released by the engine while it is "breaking in". Also, I heard that Honda puts in motor oil that is supposed to be used for 8k miles because the oil is used for "breaking in" the motor.. Any ideas?

I have an FG2 with 2k on it.
Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've always heard you should change the oil of a new engine within the first 100 miles. If you get an UOA done the amounts of metals and contaminants in oil is amazing. However according to Honda, they use special break in oil, which you are, suppose to leave in for 5k miles.

So do you go with conventional wisdom or with what Honda Recommends?

I personally am going to go with Honda, they aren’t known for having some of the most reliable engines by recommending something horrible for the break-in process.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
if early oil change was sooo important... why would honda tell us to change at 15% or 5K ?

early oil change and 3k oil changes = so yesterday

·
Registered
217 Posts
Had UOA done at 2+-something K and wear metals were "minimal" for initial numbers. The Honda Factory Fill had 300+ in Moly and 300+ in Boron. Not off the shelf stuff I can find. Is it so "special" you must leave it in for 5K.....NO! But I think there is very little downside to leaving it in so why waste good oil?... ( FWIW...I will change my new Accord at 3K and slap on a Amsoil Ea013.)
If you do change "early" then I recommend Havoline for the Moly and stay with any good conventional oil AT MINIMUM 10K miles...maybe even 15K-20K before synthetic. Just another opinion worth about 2 cents.......

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
Had UOA done at 2+-something K and wear metals were "minimal" for initial numbers. The Honda Factory Fill had 300+ in Moly and 300+ in Boron. Not off the shelf stuff I can find. Is it so "special" you must leave it in for 5K.....NO! But I think there is very little downside to leaving it in so why waste good oil?... ( FWIW...I will change my new Accord at 3K and slap on a Amsoil Ea013.)
If you do change "early" then I recommend Havoline for the Moly and stay with any good conventional oil AT MINIMUM 10K miles...maybe even 15K-20K before synthetic. Just another opinion worth about 2 cents....
and what do you base this opinion/recomendation on?
the fact that many manufacturers have synthetic oil in their cars from teh factory?

·
Registered
10,259 Posts

So I've heard so much about "honda says to leave it in cause they use special break-in oil... " but I've never seen proof of this... is there a written document or something that exists or is this really just an unconfirmed rumor?

·
Registered
217 Posts
and what do you base this opinion/recomendation on?
***Experience...personal....and may not apply to you or your driving...and what value it has is questionable, I know. But I'll share.

An exotic group V natural ester oil used after 8000 miles in my Si with conventional oil which I was getting FANTASTIC UOA numbers with was used for about 7800 miles. Two expert UOAs showed fuel dilution issues... air filter ruled out, iridium plugs in gap....probable culprit a $10 a quart boutique synthetic oil that was not allowing good ring seal. I was warned by the tech of the company whose oil I used to really break my engine in well before I went to their oil. I'm thinking now he was right and using it at 8K was too soon.

Unless it comes factory fill with synthetic......MY preference is to let the friction of a tight engine using good old conventional polish in the engine before using a synthetic. I'll never know what happened for sure with my bad ring seal....I don't know. I have solved the fuel dilution problem swithching oils. I know enough to know when it comes to oil and engines I have no special truths to share. Just opinions and experiences. Most of the time I follow the recommendations of my tribologist...and even he sometimes doesn't have all the answers to the mysteries of oils and engines.
"....the fact that many manufacturers have synthetic oil in their cars from teh factory?...." the quote

That's right...synthetics in many quality cars from the factory. Many exotics, high performance, etc. The experts design 'em that way. Let me turn the question around.

The fact that Honda DOES NOT put synthetic in at the factory....
does that mean don't use a synthetic oil?
(P.S. I was once told the Honda FF might be a synthetic blend...rumor but thought I'd mention it....)

The solution to the question is do what one wants, get some UOA's done and share what one finds out with the rest of us.

·
Registered
217 Posts

So I've heard so much about "honda says to leave it in cause they use special break-in oil... " but I've never seen proof of this... is there a written document or something that exists or is this really just an unconfirmed rumor?

The debate is endless and pointless. I THINK IT IS NOT SPECIAL...but I have never found the off the shelf oil that has 300+ pmm Moly AND 300+ppm boron. I don't know what to think anymore............but the frog thing....hummmm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts