8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

161 - 180 of 789 Posts

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Man, I haven't checked this thread in awhile...

But, a little update.... I finally received that flex-fuel fuel meter from Pedro - was stuck in Brazilian customs for EVER.

Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but once I have more to say about it, I'll post again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
yeah it gets worse. it'll get to the point where you read no bars. the odd thing is that it's only on 8th gen civics. i've done numerous rsx's and older civics and integras on e85 and none of them have this kind of problem.

i would just set trip a to 0 everytime you fill up and keep an eye on the mileage. it'll eventually get to the point where it'll get to the gas light earlier and earlier but there's still a lot fuel in the tank.
thats what i find weird to, the rsx has pretty much the same sending unit, from what iv seen anyways. yet this only happen's to us? someone need to figure out a fix for it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
answer my question with an answer, not another question (unless you don't know what you're talking about). i'm actually curious. people praise ethanol because it's "cheaper" than gasoline, but i know that the ethanol is subsidized by the government, while gasoline isn't.
The Federal gov has oil subsidies. Obama just talked in the State of the Union about dropping them. I think it was about 36 billion over 10 years. All subsidies should be dropped and people can decide what they want to run.

I ran E85 in my 2001 Civic EX and used an ethanol fuel kit. It worked great and I had no problems. Hard to get E85 up here in WA though and where I can get it, it's not that much cheaper. I saw about a 20-30% drop in MPG so it wasn't cost effective. It did give better power though.

I have FP and would like to try it with my Si one of these days. The kit I have will connect to any 4 cyl Honda injectors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
regardless, i agree that ethanol shouldn't be made from corn. making it from corn drives up the cost of food and and probably results in a net loss of energy (depending on what source you believe). i've also read about problems with fuel systems not specifically designed for ethanol.p
You're right, no need to make ethanol from corn. You can make it from just about any plant and even algae. A lot of corn is used for feed stock however and you can use the byproduct for feed stock after fermentation.

This is from 2009 from nass.usda.gov. 2010 was probably around 13 billion:

"Corn production is 13.2 billion bushels, 1 percent above the previous record of 13 billion bushels set in 2007, and 9 percent higher than 2008. Corn yields reached an all-time high in 2009 at 165.2 bushels per acre, eclipsing the previous record of 160.3 bushels per acre set in 2004. Planted area, at 86.5 million acres, is the second highest since 1949, behind 2007’s 93.5 million acres."

I think ethanol production from corn was around 4 billion.

I ran ethanol in my 2001 Civic EX and had no fuel line problems. It had 163K on it last month when I gave it to my niece. That is a myth or I had a really good fuel system in the EX!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
The Federal gov has oil subsidies. Obama just talked in the State of the Union about dropping them. I think it was about 36 billion over 10 years. All subsidies should be dropped and people can decide what they want to run.

I ran E85 in my 2001 Civic EX and used an ethanol fuel kit. It worked great and I had no problems. Hard to get E85 up here in WA though and where I can get it, it's not that much cheaper. I saw about a 20-30% drop in MPG so it wasn't cost effective. It did give better power though.

I have FP and would like to try it with my Si one of these days. The kit I have will connect to any 4 cyl Honda injectors.
dont really need a kit.. just bigger injectors and a tune.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dont really need a kit.. just bigger injectors and a tune.
I figured it would work just with the FP and injectors but the kit I used was when I had an EX. It didn't have any FP so you need a kit to adjust the amount of fuel to the injectors. I think it used a double pulse injection to get more fuel.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
btw, my buddy with a Greddy Turbo kit just started using E85. lets see how his fuel system performs after a few months.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
^^

there is no need for a fix on my car. I haven't ran into serious problem with the fuel system yet. when I do, i'll let everyone know.

161 - 180 of 789 Posts
About this Discussion
788 Replies
117 Participants
0720Steve
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing