8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think you could if you remove the center sub from the rear panel. Then you would take the entire rear trim off and replace it with the dx/lx trim, which comes with the brake light.

I've been debating it myself but I can't go through with degrading the audio. Im trying to find out if I can mount the sub elsewhere in the car and can still get the benefit of it (not sure if installing it in the trunk would be as effective as stock)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well, that kills that idea. Are there any reasonable (non interior destroying) ways to get a third brake light inside an FA5?
If you can help me find an answer to my post then I'll buy & install Acura TL's high mount brake light :thumb: it would look dope too.

It would look like this

^ the brake light is right under the antenna fin.

I was also considering getting DX's rear trim and dremmeling out the brake light in a shape so that it fits in our SI. I'm 95% sure there's no space to mount it though.

As a last resort you can buy TSX's 3rd brake light and mount it inside your cabin on the side, uncentered. Not too sure if I would like offset brake lights though.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
the ex has the sub and 3rd break light in it. not sure why you would have to do any cutting. so you either have to buy the rear deck from a ex or trade someone there ex rear deck for your si rear deck.

·
Registered
503 Posts
the ex has the sub and 3rd break light in it. not sure why you would have to do any cutting. so you either have to buy the rear deck from a ex or trade someone there ex rear deck for your si rear deck.
This is the correct link. The one you posted is for the coupe.

Regardless I've never seen a civic with both in-cabin 3rd brake light AND center sub. Are you sure there's such thing? I've never seen one but maybe because I live in Canada, I dunno.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
i live in canada too and that diagram shows the third break light and sub cover

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
look at part 25. thats the sub cover and then part 3 is your third brake light.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That does seem promising. The EX rear deck is definitely a different part from the Si rear deck? I don't have much experience with these sorts of diagrams, and I'm not quite clear on how it all fits together. I definitely can't just buy part 3 (and 1 and 2, I guess), right?

·
Registered
503 Posts
That parts image comes with all sedan models, including all those that DONT have the center sub. I know how that panel looks like and there's nowhere that looks like part 3 can fit.

I think it's just a misrepresentation of pictures. The 3rd brake light panel from LX/DX look nothing like that, they have a little lump down where the center sub is.

Don't worry, I did my homework on this...

·
Registered
503 Posts
That does seem promising. The EX rear deck is definitely a different part from the Si rear deck? I don't have much experience with these sorts of diagrams, and I'm not quite clear on how it all fits together. I definitely can't just buy part 3 (and 1 and 2, I guess), right?
No you can't. Part3 fits into the brake light housing, which is 1 solid piece as the LX/DX rear panel (which, of course, won't fit with your sub). I guess you can mount it and wire it up if you think ugliness isn't an issue...

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Ok I know you guys are talking about the sedan but I have the same question about my coupe.

Considering going wingless, but if I do I need an interior 3rd brake light.

Do the EX/LX models have the same speaker/sub arrangement on the rear deck as the Si's? Will the EX panel (#8) fit in an Si, if so does anyone know if it comes with the 3rd brake light built into it (#'s 1,2,&4)? Because those numbers don't appear to be for sale anywhere.

No one seems to sell #3 or what looks like the actual 3rd brake light by itself... does it come with the EX rear deck?

I definitely can't just buy part 3 (and 1 and 2, I guess), right?
It doesn't look like you can even buy the light, bulb, and connector individually even if you wanted to.

No you can't. Part3 fits into the brake light housing, which is 1 solid piece as the LX/DX rear panel (which, of course, won't fit with your sub). I guess you can mount it and wire it up if you think ugliness isn't an issue...
So the speakers are different? And the EX panel wont work with an Si?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ok I know you guys are talking about the sedan but I have the same question about my coupe.

Considering going wingless, but if I do I need an interior 3rd brake light.

Do the EX/LX models have the same speaker/sub arrangement on the rear deck as the Si's? Will the EX panel (#8) fit in an Si, if so does anyone know if it comes with the 3rd brake light built into it (#'s 1,2,&4)? Because those numbers don't appear to be for sale anywhere.

No one seems to sell #3 or what looks like the actual 3rd brake light by itself... does it come with the EX rear deck?

It doesn't look like you can even buy the light, bulb, and connector individually even if you wanted to.

So the speakers are different? And the EX panel wont work with an Si?
I don't know much about coupe but my impression was that you can install the EX panel, just that the center sub will be in the way. Remove the sub and you should be able to.

Are you sure 3/27/31 is the high mounted brake light? I've never seen a 8th gen with roof-mounted brake light...Will be interesting if you can work it out.

By the way, part#8 is the trunk floor lining.... the parts picture is a total misrepresentation and doesn't show how DX/EX levels look like... I suggest going to the dealer and checking them out yourself, I know I am going to.

·
Registered
503 Posts
That's what I thought too. They're both premium sound systems with a sub. Shouldn't the third brake light from the EX just be plug and play into the Si?
My bad. That's true for coupes, don't know too much about them myself.

For sedan classes, I believe only SI has 7 speaker premium (according to honda.com), which sorta reverts back to the original problem for me and OP :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.