8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
At 83,000 miles, no leaks but when the engine is off and I move the steering wheel, something is knocking around. Tie rods and everything seem okay, even tried to tighten the rack bolts, at least the ones I could actually get to without lowering the subframe.

I kept adding fluid (I would loose about half a bottle of Honda steering fluid per winter). In summer, no leaks.
I have had cars where problems would come and go depending on the weather. I think the reason leaks get worse in winter (typically) is because the rubber seals in any system are not as pliable. Coolant leaks in any car seem to develop or get worse in summer.

Not just fluid leaks but anything, and not always winter. I have an old Corolla which the warmer it is outside, the worse clunking noises something makes (no clue what) but in cold weather, it is dead quiet.

I say keep it until the block eventually crack. This defect from happening is just straight luck.
Most people's block has started cracking at around 80,000 miles, and some people have surpassed the 200,000 mile mark with the original block. It's just based on luck. There is no way to avoid it.
People who drive American cars tend to say that also, however, Asian brands (most notably Toyota and Honda) tend to have less problems and are less likely to screw up. The trade-off though is that when Asian cars DO mess up, they mess up big time. Engine problems just don't come any worse than a cracked block.

My wife's 2007 Civic has 42,000 miles and was just informed she would need to have the rack and pinion assembly replaced at about $1000+. This car continues to have issues. Visors replaced 4 times, front strut replaced. She drives it infrequently and like a grandmother. Not pleased with Honda quality and will never buy another.
She drives it 30 mph on the highway? Grandmas do that. Kidding aside, I have heard some non-fans of Honda say that Honda stands for - Had One, Never Doing Again.

·
Super Moderator
2,042 Posts
Not just fluid leaks but anything, and not always winter. I have an old Corolla which the warmer it is outside, the worse clunking noises something makes (no clue what) but in cold weather, it is dead quiet.
Opposite is true on my sedan. When it's cold, the front suspension "creaks" when going over a bump, in summer, it's dead quiet. Its been doing this since about when it was new.................

21 - 22 of 22 Posts