8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do a bit of searching on here and cannot find much much information regarding how many people have had issues with their power steering rack and pinions biting the dust aside from a few people mentioning theirs being replaced under warranty early on.

My 2007 FG1 5MT's took a dump around 65,000 miles, when the right hand side seal on the rack let go, pissing out PS fluid out the RH bellows. I replaced it myself with a reman NAPA rack, only to have that one leak on me as well, albeit from a service plug near the pinion (I suppose garbage assembly, not enough sealant on plug, who knows...). I'm more fustrated with Cardone's (manufacturer) garbage assembly on their rack than my car, but I am curious how many of these fail. Report yours, mileage, OE or aftermarket replacement, ect.

2007 Honda Civic Coupe 5MT
Rack and pinion seal failure @ 65,000 miles
Replaced by aftermarket unit

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 07 Sedan power steering rack failed at 6k miles and now its making noises again at 53k,
will have to take it in again soon....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Can you post some more information on how you replaced it? Such as steps or general tips to look out for if we need to do this ourselves as well?

Thanks man.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2007 rack and pinion failure

Had to get my rack and pinion assembly replaced at 79k mi on my 2007 honda civic LX coupe. boots had splits/cuts and fluid spitting out when i turned the front wheels. $1k to fix incl 4 days car rental. really disappointed with the number of problems having with the 2007 model. Have not seen any recall notices yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rack and pinion issues

I have a 2008 stock civic, it has about 65k and when i turn all the way to the right or left I hear a loud popping noise. I took it to my mechanic friend and he said bad rack and pinion. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2006 lx coupe and since i bought the car with 65k miles ive noticed power steering fluid leaking from the passenger side. btw i was only 17 at the time and buying this car with my own money i was very careful who the previous owner was. im 18 now but cars are a passion of mine being a honda family i can pretty much replace anything on my civic. and for those who love to belittle others, i did vigorously check the car front to back over and under. and even had my mechanic look at it. there were a few suspension problems and bad break pads and a few little problems but for the price it was a great deal and being that i could replace all the other small things i went ahead with it.... but now i know why it was a great deal :( its been exactly a year now and ive seen the leaking get progressively worse. it went from add fluid once every 2 months to now im using about a bottle in 3 weeks. ive done a lot of reading and most people i see say their rack started leaking on the driver side... i did get under the car and noticed small amouts of fluid on a rubber boot but couldnt find and tears or cracks in the boot its self (passenger side) ive gotten a couple people to check it out and quoted me anywhere from 1000 to 600$ being a full time student my budget is tight. new tires was planned but buying a bottle every few weeks this probem has to be fixed.. if anyone thinks its anything else please help. my steering feels fine but could this be why my suspension still isnt right after replacing all new suspension

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just found out that my 2007 honda civic needs replacement of the power steering rack. Im at approx 100 miles. And have been quoted at 1500 to fix same

·
Super Moderator
2,044 Posts
Interesting. Mine started to leak a little a few years ago (about 2009). I was out of warranty by then. I noticed a bit of a whine, then noticed the fluid level was down. I kept adding fluid (I would loose about half a bottle of Honda steering fluid per winter). In summer, no leaks. I did some research back then and some owners were reporting leaks in a part of the rack where it required replacement. I'm currently at about 150K miles and no problems to report (except a little bit of a whine, but I'm not certain it is the steering pulley). This winter I haven't had to put in fluid at all. Seems to have fixed itself??

·
Registered
762 Posts
Are you guys using Honda power steering fluid? The last time that I didn't, my pump would whine until I would drain it completely and fill it with genuine honda fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 LX sedan, 140k - just failed inspection due to PS fluid leaking near the passenger-side gearbox boot. Won't pass inspection as-is apparently, and quoted for around $1,100 to replace the gearbox.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thankfully this doesn't seem to be a common thing. Honestly, if you are getting 140k miles of wear and tear on your steering rack, that's not too shabby. You should see M3's. The older ones (E36/E39) you are replacing the power steering hoses almost as often as you do the oil (touch exaggerated ;) ). Obviously not as much work as rack replacement, but a lot less of a pain having to be replaced so often. I'm at 111,000 with no issues other than my stupid sun visors needing to be replaced because they keep splitting. On number 4 here!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's 2007 Civic has 42,000 miles and was just informed she would need to have the rack and pinion assembly replaced at about $1000+. This car continues to have issues. Visors replaced 4 times, front strut replaced. She drives it infrequently and like a grandmother. Not pleased with Honda quality and will never buy another.

·
Does this do anything?
2,716 Posts
My wife's 2007 Civic has 42,000 miles and was just informed she would need to have the rack and pinion assembly replaced at about $1000+. This car continues to have issues. Visors replaced 4 times, front strut replaced. She drives it infrequently and like a grandmother. Not pleased with Honda quality and will never buy another.
Sounds more like she hit a pothole or curb that destroyed the strut and steering rack. That's not the cars fault, that's just poor driving. As for the visors, it seems to be a common issue, but four times sounds excessive, like someone is beating the crap out of them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sounds more like she hit a pothole or curb that destroyed the strut and steering rack. That's not the cars fault, that's just poor driving. As for the visors, it seems to be a common issue, but four times sounds excessive, like someone is beating the crap out of them.
Sounds excessive to me too, my visor was replaced at 80K and it wasn't even that bad. Still on my original steering rack @ 105K

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 Civic Rack and Pinion Replacement

Bought the Civic brand new and with only 32,000 miles oil all over drive way and dealership is charging 1200$ to replace. I don't think this is normal. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Took my 2007 EX with 103K miles for mild squeak when making a U-turn..
After diagnosis, dealer's mechanic found noise coming from Rack and Pinion Assembly. Says it is not a safety issue right now since the noise is not that pronounced..

Not sure what to do.. With engine block issue still at the back of my mind, should i put more money ($1400) into this car...on the other hand, being an original owner, I know the service and history of the car and any new car is going to be 20k at the least...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I say keep it until the block eventually crack. This defect from happening is just straight luck.

Most people's block has started cracking at around 80,000 miles, and some people have surpassed the 200,000 mile mark with the original block. It's just based on luck. There is no way to avoid it.

I have a 2006 Honda Civic EX Sedan and it has 160k. It's on the original block from factory.

What i would do first is to change the Power Steering Fluid. If you change it, then maybe there is a possibility that it will stop squeaking, assuming you went to the dealer and they didn't say anything about that.

The dealerships always want to charge you high for a repair that maybe you don't even need.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Didn't you start a thread asking for the same advice - put in more money on this car or... and I think you stated that it might not be worth it.. ;);)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts