8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys - im not new to this forum actually just sold my 07 fbp si in July however im missing it. reason i sold my 07 was it was actually my first stick and man was i frustrated with it and sold it after only 3k - i was always so damn worried about rolling back into someone on hills so therefore avoided them at all cost (became a huge pain) well i was planning to purchase an 08 R32 but never happened and well now im wanting back in an SI. overall just looking for some opinions - am i that big an idiot and cant drive a stick or did i just throw in the towel too soon. I was considering getting an 08 leftover since not too crazy bout 09 fronts or theres a ok deal on a 00 civic si w 45k figured to practice w for lots less.....what to do what to do??? any input or advise would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys hope to be driving an si again soon even if a 2000

·
I Beez In The Trap
24,576 Posts
3k mi is quite a bit of miles under your belt and you still weren't comfortable. imho you need to tackle that fear of steep hills before you commit to buying a car that you're not comfortable driving...again. i mean, let's say you get another 06+ Si tomorrow. what's gonna be different?

welcome to the site. :wavey:

moved thread to proper forum. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
If you roll backwards, it's not like you slammed it at 80 mph. Will be hardly any damage. Just apologize nicely and tell them you still learning. Or better yet, point at some van and tell them they are being filmed by hidden camera. Thanks for participating.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Get back in the Si. Practice taking off a hill with the e-brake until you master it. You'll get the point of clutch engagement down and in no time it will be second nature.

Precisely

Pull up the ebrake...gas it...release the clutch a tad...when you feel the car wanting to move forward...release the ebrake and go

no problems AND you dont look like a novice

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
i think you threw in the towel too soon. i too didn't know how to drive stick until i bought my si, in fact i learned just so i could buy it since i loved the car so much. i was paranoid just like you for a huge while where i would panic at a little slope but just keep practicing and you will get over your fears. this way you will be able to not only drive an si but any other car that you will want in the future that happens to be stick. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Find an empty are that has a steep hill. I practiced this on a long driveway that went to a business park on a Saturday night, as there was absolutely nobody around on a weekend. My gf was in the car with me and offered me a lot of encouragement and I got it down in no time. It just takes practice. Once you practice enough, you will feel confident and won't even think about it when you drive. My civic is my first stick, and at one point I was just so paranoid that I was debating trading it in for an automatic. I'm so glad I didn't because it's so much fun. Don't give up!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey guys - thanks so much for all the positive/encouraging feedback - i think im going to take your advise and get back on the horse and try again. With 08 leftovers im getting what seem to be great deals $20,495 for coupe w nav or $18,900 no nav plus honda is offering 3.9% financing right now. thanks again guys - ill keep you posted and get some pics up of the new ride once i close a deal!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.