8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably going to be ordering a 06 ex sedan soon. One thing that bothers me is that the car looks kinda dumb with the DRL's on. So I was wondering if anyone has tried to rewire the DRL's to turn on the parking lights instead of the headlights?

It has to be possible, I guess I'm just wondering how the DRL's are wired/work. Are they contolled by the pcm or is it just a hardwired switch kinda thing? I think the car will look much better during the day if its headlights are off and its parking lights were on...

Just my opinion, if anyone has a suggestion on the wireing let me know. I'm hoping its just going to be a cut and splice kinda job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
just my opinion, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of daytime running lights? if you want to have your parking lights on, then why not turn the headlight combo switch to "parking lights." you can just as easily disable the DRLs by taking out a fuse in the fusebox (in the 7thgens this is true, i'm not 100% sure for the 8thgen).

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
Travis said:
8th Gen has a fuse....I took mine out the first day I had It...looks stooopid
that may be the case but around here it's almost requisite for safety. I'd rather look stupid with DRL's on, than feel stupid having them on before someone crashed into me cuz they couldn't see me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
DRLs are a marketing fabrication. The major auto mfg's (especially GM) have commisioned study after study, trying to find that cars with DRLs are elss likely to be in accidents, but they cant find the facts they want. It simply isnt true.

I havent disabled mine, but the parking light idea sounds like a good one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
As far as the value of the DRLs are concerned I think they are only worth the insurance discount. The only time they have proven a safety feature was on a long two lane road with fog somone was passing in the oncoming direction and if he hadn't of had DRLs I would have hit him head on. Most people don't know when to turn on lights and that fogs lights are for foggy days only. I seriously doubt the low power mode of the lights cause them to burn out any significant time faster than if they were off so I also see no point in disabling them. Why move the circuit to the running lights? Seems equally dumb to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts