8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually switch from 1st to 2nd around 13-18 mph.. when I slow down back below 15mph the gear box seems to give resistance when I try to shift back into 1st... should I force the gear into 1st or should I use the 2nd gear at around 7-10mph for pick up?

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
tom.smykowski said:
I usually switch from 1st to 2nd around 13-18 mph.. when I slow down back below 15mph the gear box seems to give resistance when I try to shift back into 1st... should I force the gear into 1st or should I use the 2nd gear at around 7-10mph for pick up?

yes there is a lockout on 1st gear. You have to be under 5 MPH or something like that. It's there because to many people would miss the shift from 2-3 and hit 1st, then overrev and blow their engines, it been on civics for the at least the last 15 years or so. So no, don't force it in, because it just won't go, and if does, something is damaged.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah, pretty nifty safety measure. Just for the hell of it, put just a little bit of pressure forward on 1st as you slow down, and as Jrfish mentioned, it will magically unlock around 5mph.

General rule of thumb is you never shift back into 1st gear unless you're going to accellerate from a dead stop. You can downshift into first and engage the clutch from a roll, but it has to be pretty slow. Like 5mph as mentioned. 1st is very short, and if you would shift into it and engage the clutch while moving too fast, at the very least you would get SUDDEN deceleration, if not blowing the engine like Jrfish mentioned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. When I slowdown to around 7mph and then switch to 2nd to accelerate the car shakes a little (like a vibration), Is this normal?

·
1,630 Posts
tom.smykowski said:
Thanks guys. When I slowdown to around 7mph and then switch to 2nd to accelerate the car shakes a little (like a vibration), Is this normal?

Maybe, it means 1 of 2 things. Either it needs a little more gas or the engine has bogged. You check your RPM's when it shakes, I'm guessing they around 500-800. The solution to both is to give a hair more gas. 7MPH isn't really what the car is geared for, so it doesn't like that speed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
contrary to what I was blowing off about up above... make sure your RPMs are always above 1000... 2000 under full throttle.

·
1,630 Posts
jandree22 said:
contrary to what I was blowing off about up above... make sure your RPMs are always above 1000... 2000 under full throttle.

lol, yeah, I would say you want to stay between 1000 and 3500 for normal driving, and maybe a little higher if you want to get on the car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks, I was actually seeing this as well. Helpful.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't know about a lockout but I've put my car into first from second or third at almost 15 mph before. You just have to make sure your engine is revved right and the resistance goes away.

·
1,630 Posts
civicdude06 said:
I don't know about a lockout but I've put my car into first from second or third at almost 15 mph before. You just have to make sure your engine is revved right and the resistance goes away.

You can over ride the lock out with rev matching, but few people actually realize how high you have to go to get it in to first.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is interesting. When I'm driving in stop and go traffic, I commonly drop into first gear when traffic slows to below 15 mph and then speeds back up again without stopping. It generally slides into first easily, although I sometimes blip the throttle. Thinking about this thread this morning, I even slid it into first gear while doing 65 mph on the freeway just to test it out (I of course did not release the clutch). I gave the throttle a small blip but you obviously can't rev match first gear at 65 mph and it slid into first quite easily.

·
1,630 Posts
caexmt said:
This is interesting. When I'm driving in stop and go traffic, I commonly drop into first gear when traffic slows to below 15 mph and then speeds back up again without stopping. It generally slides into first easily, although I sometimes blip the throttle. Thinking about this thread this morning, I even slid it into first gear while doing 65 mph on the freeway just to test it out (I of course did not release the clutch). I gave the throttle a small blip but you obviously can't rev match first gear at 65 mph and it slid into first quite easily.
Interesting..... :confused: I'll have to look into it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Most gears have a "lockout" when you going so fast that putting it in gear would essentially redline the engine. If you're going 70 and try to put it in 2nd, you'll notice major resistance there too. Manuals are designed to do that because if you don't rev match and just dropped it into gear you're going to tear them up pretty badly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
civicdude06 said:
Most gears have a "lockout" when you going so fast that putting it in gear would essentially redline the engine. If you're going 70 and try to put it in 2nd, you'll notice major resistance there too. Manuals are designed to do that because if you don't rev match and just dropped it into gear you're going to tear them up pretty badly.

as long as you used the clutch u wouldnt hurt the tranny.Stress? Yes. Grinding? no. It would kill ur clutch and make the nose of your car go down a ton. Just rev match when u down shift every time and everything will work out fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about civics, but i have a friend who is a mechanic for Honda and has seen a V6 Accord with a blown motor because the girl driving mis-shifted. I think she was trying to go to 6th gear and went to 2nd instead. I know the 6 speeds are supposed to have pretty close gears, but how does that happen????? Anyway, there was definitely no lock out for that poor girl....

·
Registered
134 Posts
I cant imagine myself going for 6th and ending up in 2nd, but things like that happen even though different muscles are used. 2nd gear doesnt have a lock out, only 1st. I have heard many stories of Evo drivers going from 5th gear to a 4th gear downshift and hit 2nd instead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I asked hubby...he says she wasn't going from 5th to 6th, she was trying to down shift from 6th to 4th and hit 2nd instead...makes you wanna cry, huh?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've asked about if any 2nd gear lock in another thread... but anyway

It's strange, but so far I've experienced quite many times that when I tried to downshift from 3rd to 2nd, and the gear wasn't willing to go into 2nd at all. And it seemed most time I had to wait til the car slowed down to ~20km/h before it would let me into 2nd. But then again I'm new with manual, so I really not sure... I'm quite careful(ie slow) and not forcing anything that doesn't seem to take by itself right now whenever I shift... so i duno. Could it be only becoz of the need to match gear/engine rev?!?

The 1st gear lock at ~5-6km/h is definitely there that I can feel tho.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
i can get into first with out rev matching or having to be below or around mph.

if im using the breaks and slowing down, i could be taking a turn at around 10 mph and if your on the breaks it lets me shift into first, course i rev it up a bit before i let the clutch out, i dont do it to often though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts