8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I have a 2008 Civic 4Door (about 8 months old) and today I experienced the driver's side door glass mechanism failing to raise/lower the glass properly (glass became crooked in the opening, and would not go all the way up).

I was able to get out of the car and grab the glass from both sides with my palms and raise it up into the closed position, then raise the mechanism to "full up" position, and at least, get the window to stay closed.

I have read the A06-014 TSB for the jamming door glass condition, which seems like it is the same problem that I have, but the procedure to fix it seems to basically say "replace everything!" and also seems to specify that the door glass itself will need replacement.

Of course, my car is still under warranty, and I probably will just take it in rather than popping the door panel and having a look, But... the prospect of having the glass replaced bums me out, since I have a custom tint job on there (I know, I know...illegal in CA)...

Anyone have some more detail on specifically what it is that goes wrong on the 06-up civic mechanism, with jamming door glass? If it is a simple roller adjustment or something, I'd rather just fix it myself...

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AV911, I was hoping for something a little more specific, from someone who has had this issue and fixed it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I haven't had or seen that problem but the set up in there is pretty basic. I would pop the door panel off and just make sure the bolts on the run channel were tight and the ones that bolt the glass to the regulator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK Took it to the dealer and was fixed under warranty. Learned a few things from the service manager, regarding this problem.

1- Problem affects around 1 in 50 civic 4door sedans, 2006 to present

2- Problem can affect driver side or passenger side door glass but usually develops in driver's side first (typically used much more often)

3- Honda first tried to fix the issue in 2007 model year with a running change, by changing the design of the glass pane (changed the locations where regulator mounting holes are drilled in the glass)

4- Success rate of this change was not 100%

5- Mid 2008 model year run, Honda discovered that the regulator design (geometry of parts that lift the window) was the main source of the problem.

Hence the TSB recommendation is "replace everything". (The glass run channel is also changed out, since an improperly-tracking glass will deform the run channel).

I was lucky, since my 2008 already had the updated glass, I only needed the new regulator and a new run channel, thus, I didn't lose my tinted window glass :)

Bottom line, you (most likely) can't fix it via simple adjustments at home. It is a geometry problem with the regulator itself.

Hope this info helps others.
Rob

·
Registered
205 Posts
V-e-r-y interesting. I have an '07Si(love it). About two years ago my '00 Civic ex was stolen right under my nose as I slept. About 6 months before the theft I noticed my drivers side window was just as you describe your problem. Off the track, had to push it to keep it aligned going up. I was told it was the regulator. The next day the cops found my car stripped of $9500 worth of body parts. I was talking with the cop about auto theft. He asked me if I had noticed my drivers side window ajar like it had come off the track. He said thieves will push the window down by force to check out alarms, etc. and then push it back up, by force and the victim is none the wiser.
My car was 2 months away from being paid off. At that time I was going to drop my full coverage. I would have lost $10,000 if the theft had happened two months later. My insurance paid me $10,210 for my Ex. Full coverage always!

·
Registered
50 Posts
2006 civic 4dr EX
Well I just got my car back from the dealer, had to take it in for the 3rd time because all the weld joints inside the window frame keeps rusting! Good thing I have the 10yr rust-free warranty! But my pass side window was also acting up. It would go down about 3" then it would jam all sideways against the inner molding.

Service guy told me I need a new regulator $400 and because I now have over 60k (71k on the car) I'm outta luck..................PISSED!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts