8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Camry Loverz
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda long, but my front driver side brake is making some weird noise.

We'll it first started today when I was on the highway. I was slowing down and pressed on the brake, not too hard since I wanted to slow down slowly. I then heard my brakes make this really loud consistent noise, at first I thought it was coming from my engine since I downshifted but as soon as I let go of the brake it went away. Not sure what it sounded like since I was at like 3.5k rpms and couldnt hear that over the engine noise that well but I know I heard something else while braking. The brake pedal didn't vibrate like it does when ABS activates, I know what ABS is and when its on and how it works but this time it was not ABS.

After that I turned off my radio to listen and I could hear sorta like a screech by the front tire even when I wasn't braking. Then when I got out my exit I started slowing down again and when pressing the brake it made an even louder screech. The thing is the sound goes away at diff speeds. When I was pulling out of a parking spot I could hear it. I didn't have the brake press at all while backing out, I just put it in reverse and slowly let the car roll backwards and I could hear the noise.

So what happened to my brake? Not sure if you guys can help with what I've told you so far but I'm bringing it tomorrow to Honda to figure out what happened. My friend had his rotors warped (sp?) on his mazda3 and the dealer replaced it under warranty. I'm not sure whats up with my front driver side brake and I don't know much but just a little bit so I'm hoping whatever happened will be covered under warranty since i'm broke.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
There is a small metal tab which is designed to rub against the rotors when the pads get low. It makes a screetching noise just like you describe. Check your brake pads or have them checked. Most likely you just need new pads.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Could be rust built up or brake dust. Really depends on the pads. Just take the wheel off and look at the pads in the calipers. You will be able to see if they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Could be brake dust build up, pads ready for replacement depending on mileage and or a caliper on the right side no acting as it should, thus the right pads wearing quicker.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Dittos to everyone else above, it's the squeeker plate telling you hey! I'm here, I need attention. The vibe that you are feeling are the rotors warped from general use. Get it serviced.

BTW DON'T make the mistake that someone I know. She didn't know that the squeeker plate noise meant that she needed to take the car in for brake inspection... She ran it and ran it until eventually it didn't squeek anymore, unfortunatly it wouldn't stop anymore either. She had it towed to the garage and had to buy new rotors and pads because she wore a grove the width of the brakepads all the way down to the cooling vents (she owned a GM vehicle.) So instead of new pads and a resurfacing of her rotors, new pads, rotors, tow. you do the math... BTW she now knows what that squeek means.
You want a worse story than that, then talk to a paramedic that has had to unwrap a body from a pole. Those are the ones that they don't forget. Usually its either DUI, speed, or brakes.

later

·
Registered
510 Posts
holy EFFING cow said:
Do like the people said & check the brake pads. It won't take long & best of all it's free.

If the pads don't look worn, then take it into the dealer.
Will the dealer replace them under warranty? I'm having the same thing at 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
its your brake pads. if you bring it to the dealer they are just gunna say to replace your brake pads because the inside driver side is already gone and they are starting to dig into the rotor. better do it fast, i waited because they told me i had 5000 miles left on it...more like 200 and i ****** my driver side rotor up. so now i have drilled&slotted coming in :laughing:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Okay, so I just got back from the 15k service and I had them look at my brakes, which had been making squealing noises intermittently for a few days. They come and get me an hour later and tell me they were unable to reproduce the squealing/screeching noise, and that the brake pads are all fine (85% still left). They said they thoroughly cleaned the brakes before road-testing them, which leads me to believe a stone or something got in there. I have to park in a gravel lot nearly everyday and it's come up before, I dunno.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts