8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen any good threads on peoples' driving experiences with the drive by wire throttle on the Si, what they like/dislike about it? This is my first time driving a car with dbw, and I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the behavior of their cars' acceleration under different loads, and how the dbw factors in to the throttle feel and response.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
um...search!
there is a main problem of rev-hang...and then the issue of tuning...and i am sure there are a few other things im forgetting.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
i just dont see any difference and i have owned fast sports cars in the past that had hydrolic clutches and they act the same. no difference except that it has a rev hang which is nice so you dont lose rpm's while shifting. idk y everyone complains about the hang. its an advantage. y does everyone want to lose rpm's while shifting. makes no sense. those who complain about the revhang are just amature drivers and know nothing about driving. i was taught by a proffessional race driver at age 15 and can speed, power shift and double clutch like no other as well as rev matching. the revhang is such an advantage that no one sees. it eliminates having to shift with out the clutch and risk missing a gear and blowing the tranny. for people who hate the rev hang, well i guess they should trade in their si and get a cavalier. after all people who dont understand technology should drive a domestic so that there is no technology to understand. well anyways i see a lot of young inexperienced kids driving these si's that got mommy and daddy to cosign the loan and then they think cuz tehy got a new si they think they know it all. they just need to grow up and just enjoy the car for what it is. after all its no 2jztt supra for christ sakes. its a freakin honda. a young kids car. i think im gonna trade in my si and get a more mature car cuz i sure dont want to be mistaken for the young fools that are just out of highschool or college with mommy and daddys signature on the loan that knows nothing about cars. i sure would hate to be mistaken for all that foolishness. my .02

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Haha, quite a rant indeed. Too bad I didn't read it all.

Paragraphs are you friend! ;)

Oh yeah, so is spelling and punctuation. ;)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I can tell a difference and I'd rather have a cable but I'm not going to complain about it. It won't be long and every car will have it whether they like it or not.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
DBW is fine. ive been driving cars with DBW for a while and they are all perfectly fine. Honda's ECU has done something to artificially hold onto the revs a little and decrease the response imo for easier smooth driving. yes its not possible for Honda to do that without DBW, but its not caused by DBW.

in cars like BMW, MINI and Porsche, because of DBW you can have increased throttle sensitivity at the push of a button. just like the decreased with Honda, this is not possible without DBW.

DBW = good.

Honda tinkering with the revs and sensitivity = bad, but its livable.

and yes, when traction control becomes mandatory on cars, youll see the use of DBW skyrocket bc it makes it so much easier to implement.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
kene79 said:
i think im gonna trade in my si and get a more mature car cuz i sure dont want to be mistaken for the young fools that are just out of highschool or college with mommy and daddys signature on the loan that knows nothing about cars. i sure would hate to be mistaken for all that foolishness. my .02
Get rid of your car ASAP, your too good for it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
kene79 said:
i just dont see any difference and i have owned fast sports cars in the past that had hydrolic clutches and they act the same. no difference except that it has a rev hang which is nice so you dont lose rpm's while shifting. idk y everyone complains about the hang. its an advantage. y does everyone want to lose rpm's while shifting. makes no sense. those who complain about the revhang are just amature drivers and know nothing about driving. i was taught by a proffessional race driver at age 15 and can speed, power shift and double clutch like no other as well as rev matching. the revhang is such an advantage that no one sees. it eliminates having to shift with out the clutch and risk missing a gear and blowing the tranny. for people who hate the rev hang, well i guess they should trade in their si and get a cavalier. after all people who dont understand technology should drive a domestic so that there is no technology to understand. well anyways i see a lot of young inexperienced kids driving these si's that got mommy and daddy to cosign the loan and then they think cuz tehy got a new si they think they

know it all. they just need to grow up and just enjoy the car for what it is. after all its no 2jztt supra for christ sakes. its a freakin honda. a young kids car. i think im gonna trade in my si and get a more mature car cuz i sure dont want to be mistaken for the young fools that are just out of highschool or college with mommy and daddys signature on the loan that knows nothing about cars. i sure would hate to be mistaken for all that foolishness. my .02
I'm actually going to agree with you, to a point that is. Maybe there are direct benefits to the lag or hanging-revs, but as you so keenly point out, it's really for skilled and trained drivers. But the general public that is driving this thing the high schoolers, etc.., are barely learning to drive. The rest of us maybe just find this "feature" to be a PITA for our daily drives. For the abilities of the demographic that are buying this car, it's a PITA. Some don't notice it, some don't find it worrisome or problematic.

Not everyone is what you claim to be. :eek:mg:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you guys define "rev hang" a little more clearly? I think I've been experiencing this, especially on the 1-2 upshift, where even when i let my foot completely off the gas as I engage the clutch, the revs don't drop like they do when I'm rolling to a stop and shift into neutral, or situations similar to that. It feels like the engine is still being fed gas even though the clutch pedal is to the floor. Does this sound familiar?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
you just have to get used to DBW.... i dont notice it and it doesnt bother me

however when i first had the Si it was tough get get smooth shifts without the car doing the jerka jerk

·
Registered
898 Posts
NOVAblackSiSedan said:
Can you guys define "rev hang" a little more clearly? I think I've been experiencing this, especially on the 1-2 upshift, where even when i let my foot completely off the gas as I engage the clutch, the revs don't drop like they do when I'm rolling to a stop and shift into neutral, or situations similar to that. It feels like the engine is still being fed gas even though the clutch pedal is to the floor. Does this sound familiar?
Yep, that'd be it.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
NOVAblackSiSedan said:
yup..thats the rev hang

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
i thought there was a reflash or sumthing....i dont know.

anyways...when i push the car hard... lift the foot of the gas.... clutch down.... the revs seems to go up a bit... and then down.

whats that ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.