8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 06 Civic EX Coupe m/t about 2 months ago with 28k. I've driven m/t for about 25 years but, this car gives me problems when gear changing.
I searched and posted http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63754
on the main 8th Civic forums and found reference to Bulletin 06-052 which talks about updating the ECU with vers 2.005.008.
The threads refered mainly to the SI but, several EX/LX owners had the same problems.
Anyways, has anybody had the CPU upgraded here in Toronto/suburbs ?
I've just moved from Hamilton to Richmond Hill area and am looking to get the flash uprgade in hope of curing my problem so I need a good Honda dealer.
Any comments suggestions ?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
dannymcg said:
I bought an 06 Civic EX Coupe m/t about 2 months ago with 28k. I've driven m/t for about 25 years but, this car gives me problems when gear changing.
I searched and posted http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63754
on the main 8th Civic forums and found reference to Bulletin 06-052 which talks about updating the ECU with vers 2.005.008.
The threads refered mainly to the SI but, several EX/LX owners had the same problems.
Anyways, has anybody had the CPU upgraded here in Toronto/suburbs ?
I've just moved from Hamilton to Richmond Hill area and am looking to get the flash uprgade in hope of curing my problem so I need a good Honda dealer.
Any comments suggestions ?
Thanks in advance.
I thought the Si Was the only model with drive by wire and the EX was still throttle cable

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
wasn't there a recall for civics when they were first released due to the dbw. something about the accel not disengaging?

·
Registered
236 Posts
dannymcg said:
I believe all 06+ Civics are drive by wire throttle
yes all 2006+ Civics are DBW. What is the problem that your having exactly?? i have a dx manual and man did it ever take me a long time to get use to driving it. There is still sometimes like a pause when stepping on the gas before the car actually takes off, usually happens in first.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
we have the sun automobile Hyper voltage and ground system in stock and it will improve the throttle response for all the drive by wire vehicle!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
ZOE said:
wasn't there a recall for civics when they were first released due to the dbw. something about the accel not disengaging?
Yes...I got my Si's computer reflased with some newer program. I had all the same problems you guys complain about, once I got the reflash done it was like driving a totally different car. Honda has resolved this problem you just have to complain about it at the dealership to get it done. And it wasn't a recall it was a service bulletin.:wavey:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read on the main forums it was TSB # 06-052 (PDF's on the main site) and the SI's were being flashed (ECU updated) with version 2.005.008 software.
Some dealers did the SI's only and others did all civics. This is all U.S. info though. What Honda dealership did it for you ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When changing up gears (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd) I press on the accelerator pedal and the car lunges for that first second. If I"m on a circular highway exit/entry ramp in 3rd gear and coasting, if I touch the accelerator pedal the car lurches forward. Pretty scary !!

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
The TSB for the rev-hang problem is only for the Si's. Nothing for R18 guys :sadwavy:

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Well considering your R18 uses a different ECU then the K20, it wont work...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll need to go back to the main thread and read up on it but, I'm pretty sure they said there that, the flash/software upgrade was good for all civic models.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had seen and printed out the TSB 06-052 previously from the same thread and saw it said it was for SI's only.
But, there does seems to be non SI's out there with the same problem (mine included).
I guess what I'm looking for is a 'non SI' owner in Canada (Toronto) that has/had the problem fixed recently by some thoughtful and caring dealer...................

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Personally I dont know anyone with an R18 that has had a fix (due to the fact there I dont believe there is a fix for those trannies)

Also trust me when I say, R18 rev-hang problem is NOTHING compared to the problems the Si's had.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I 'Googled' sun automobile Hyper voltage and ground system. It's basically described as a voltage stabiliser, it stores electrical energy and smooths out any large voltage draw (A/C unit switching on & off) to supposedly lessen the alternator initial electrical loading.
I didn't read anywhere about it dealing with the problem of rev hang, etc or it being used in that way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts