8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I purchased my first Civic about 2 weeks with the paint protection off the dealership. When I was filling up gas today at the pump, I dripped some gas on my car. I wiped it away with those hand sanitizer alcohol wipes and paper towel instead of tissue paper.

When under direct sunlight, I can actually see a round sort of transparent white circle above and below the gas tank, probably caused by the alcohol wipe. I tried to wash it off with just water and wipe it with 100% cloth but it doesn't come off. Now I don't think it affected the actual paint because when I stare directly at the spot w/o direct sunlight I can't tell the difference in colour, so it was likely the paint protection or the wax that was smudged off by the paper towel or the alcohol wipe.

Will be doing a car wash + wax this weekend and see if the white circles will be gone, if not will use some swirlx and then see.

·
Registered
290 Posts
you're overreacting way too much. just wipe it and its fine. haha

Good way to see if it affected your paint is just look at it. Do you see a difference? If not its all good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I don't see any differences currently, but the paint protection is suppose to protect the paint from UV light exposure over a couple years. Now I dont' know if the paint protection was damaged by the gas and I won't know if it did until a few years later when the spots with the damaged paint protection shows up a different colour. That is what I am afraid of =(

Thanks for the reply though!

·
Registered
813 Posts
i was just as paranoid as you are! it'll be fine. its happened to me several times when i fill up, but there isn't any discoloration. sall good :wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
The bad part of this situation is not the gas, but the fact that you use a paper towel to wipe it off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I doubt the rubbing alcohol's too good for the protection either. If it's just UV protection you want, just apply a decent sealant once every half a year or so, there's plenty of guides in the detailing section. Enjoy your new car, I'm lovin' mine =D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Umm, what should I do about the situation then, should I wax it? Polish and then wax it?? or leave it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
You should always have a microfiber cloth in your trunk for situations such as those. In regards to using alcohol on the car. I strongly recommend you never use it. Keep in mind that if you Overreact to the slightest things, you'll never actually enjoy your car.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Wow... Just wow.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
^^haha. Yea rubbing alcohol on our paint leaves hairline scratches. The only time ive used rubbing alcohol was when i debadged my car, and immediately after i waxed the spot and the scratches are invisible now. Ive dripped gas on it before and its no biggie. Just make sure to wax regularly and then also use a nice car wash so that you have some more protection!

·
Registered
65 Posts
yea wipe it off... no big deal. I used to use gas on the bumper of my old car to take bugs off... and then would wash and wax it righ after... never noticed any issues with the paint. (I would never do this to my new baby though. haha)

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
use sandpaper. be sure to push and scrub hard to make sure you get to the deep layers of the paint that the gas penetrated.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts