8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Louisiana and just purchased a new '07 Civic LX sedan in Texas. Louisiana does not require a front license plate but Texas does. When I returned home to Louisiana with the vehicle, I immediately removed the dealer plate and plate holder from the front of the car. Much to my dismay, I discovered that the dealer had drilled a hole in bumper to mount the plate holder. It is a brand new vehicle and I consider this to be unacceptable. I love the looks of this vehicle without the plate holder. I am currently working with the dealer there to see what can be done. In my opinion, the only thing to do is replace the bumper or skin. I love this new car but I cant believe Honda authorizes the drilling of the bumper to mount this plate holder. Has anyone else had this problem? Do I have any recourse with the dealer if they decide not to help me on this? The car is two days old.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
the plate holder will hold the plate without drilling the hole. my dealer did not drill the hole in the bumper and the plate is just held by the two hinges that hold the plate holder

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
those guys are real assholes... Drilling a hole in a new car.. What in the hell were they thinking.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Yeah Chase, Perfection honda where I used to work instructed the mechanics NOT TO DRILL THE BUMPER!!!!! We had one very unhappy customer make a really big deal out of this, so they stopped doing it completely. The reason that they drill the bumper is because honda instructions for PDI tell you that you are SUPPOSED to drill it. It's Honda's fault for saying it, and the dealer's fault for not having enough common sense to ignore it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My dealer probably would have drilled a hole in mine, but i specifically told them not to drill a hole ... The guy actually seemed surprised that I asked not to have a hole drilled ... like he expected that ppl wanted the hole there.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
I can't believe dealerships are still doing this some two years after the first customers raised a storm over it. The bumper already comes with mounting holes built into it, so why they are still drill-happy is beyond me.

My suggestion is to raise all holy hell and get the front portion of the bumper replaced for FREE. Don't take no for an answer!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Jgams said:
My dealer probably would have drilled a hole in mine, but i specifically told them not to drill a hole ... The guy actually seemed surprised that I asked not to have a hole drilled ... like he expected that ppl wanted the hole there.
He was surprised you knew they drill holes in bumpers. That's what he was surprised about. Like how did you find out about their PDI process? 8th Civic FTW!

I heard the reason for the third screw is to keep it secured even better, so that it doesn't start flapping back and forth against the bumper at highway speeds.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Over the course of the 3 weeks between the time I purchased the car and actually took the car off the lot, I told the dealership 3 times not to drill the hole. Guess what - they did anyway. Assholes! They "fixed" it by sending it to a body shop to have it filled and repainted - only to have the paint flaking and chipping withing the first week. Dealership had it repainted again only to have the same thing happen. Now honda wont warranty it and neither will the dumbass POS shop that did the crap work.
If you push the issue they should "repair" the bumper, but you will not get a new one. I would suggest you do that, then immediately have one of those clear plastic "bras" put on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your responses. Looks like I am not the only one pissed about this. The dealer acts like its no big deal and even asked me to put the bracket back on to solve the problem. Unfortunately, I do not see one front plate bracket on any Civic ad, either print or web. Look for yourself....the friggin' bracket takes away from the entire appearance.....its so clean without it. Hey thanks again all and i will keep you posted. They have not heard the end of this from me. I wanted a new car without the hole in the bumper.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The first thing I did was take off the mud flaps and front license plate to find a drilled hole. I about ****, but didn't figure it was worth trying to get it repainted and fixed. As an earlier post said, it can cause more problems in the long run.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I said screw it and bought the bumper plugs from I think "bumperplugs.com" but not sure.

I'm just as anal as u are but at least there's no hole.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Incase you guys haven't seen the bumper plugs check out the website below. I bought a Mazda a few years back that was a dealer trade from another state that required front plates. I got a good deal because of the holes in the fascia and was prepared to buy a new fascia (ouch) when I ran into theis website. They worked pretty well and I couldn't complain about the color match as the guy did an excellent job. At the time he only did high end vehicles but I emailed him about the Mazda. He went down to the dealership, looked at the paint and painted a set for me. Anyway, here's the link,

http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
nastynogales said:
Same thing happened to me. I said screw it and bought the bumper plugs from I think "bumperplugs.com" but not sure.

I'm just as anal as u are but at least there's no hole.

Weird, you were posting about the same place at the same time I was :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I discovered the same thing on my civic this past weekend. Removed the two lower screws, pulled to remove the plate bracket and damn they put an extra screw drill into the bumper I was pissed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again for all the responses....especially Nastynogales and PantherSI. I guess that bumperplugs would work although I am still steaming about this policy of drilling the new bumpers. Its absolutely ridiculous that they are doing it.....and the dealer says now that Honda actually furnishes the screws to attach the plate bracket. How about using a little common sense jackholes??? I got a novel idea.....HOW ABOUT NOT DRILLING NEW BUMPERS AND WE WOULD'T HAVE THESE PROBLEMS. Friggin' rocket scientists.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
8thGen-06-Black-Si said:
I discovered the same thing on my civic this past weekend. Removed the two lower screws, pulled to remove the plate bracket and damn they put an extra screw drill into the bumper I was pissed.

so what did you do?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts