8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Needs urgent confirmation on this.
The drain plug on my 2009 Civic EX was 17mm but stripped, so I took it to Honda dealership to replace it with new one while performing oil change.
Guess what, the dealership replaced old 17mm drain plug with new 14mm drain plug, I double checked with them, they were pretty sure it is correct.
From my knowledgebase, I do not understand how 14mm drain plug can align since both the head and the pitch diameter are smaller.
Can someone help me confirming it please?

Thanks so much and stay safe!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine(17mm drain plug) was not leaking, have to check now after 14mm drain plug is installed.
If they fixed it, I wouldn't worry about it anymore.
A friend of mines Honda also got stripped oil plug and I ended up getting a longer bolt that I custom cut... from the hardware store and put some copper crush washers and that fixed it.
These cars have an extra 4 or 5 threads in case you strip them.
Maybe Honda put a helicoil for you.
Let us know what happens.👍🏻

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they fixed it, I wouldn't worry about it anymore.
A friend of mines Honda also got stripped oil plug and I ended up getting a longer bolt that I custom cut... from the hardware store and put some copper crush washers and that fixed it.
These cars have an extra 4 or 5 threads in case you strip them.
Maybe Honda put a helicoil for you.
Let us know what happens.👍🏻
Yeah, I think you are right.
Just checked oil level - it is full and clear in color; there is no leak undercarriage and areas near the new bolt currently.
So far so good, I will keep you updated. Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know the thread size is 14 x 1.50, are you sure the thread is larger on the old plug or is it just an optical illusion? Did you check with a caliper?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with the post up higher, must have used a helicoil. I guess if they had tapped it out a size larger some metal shavings might have ended up in the oil pan.
I think you guys are right, is helicoil a long-term solution? Like reuse it(14mm) in the future with no problem or we still have to get it replaced with exact fit(17mm)?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think you guys are right, is helicoil a long-term solution? Like reuse it(14mm) in the future with no problem or we still have to get it replaced with exact fit(17mm)?
I don't believe you can reuse the 17mm bolt, since it's stripped.
Unless you get a longer one to catch the remaining threads in the back.
A helicoil is basically like a bushing, so I believe you can use it normally.
I wouldn't remove it if its in there and it works.
Only way it would get damaged is if the bolt(14mm) gets over-tightened.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My Civic had the 17mm drain plug until it got stripped and couldn't use it anymore. I now have a 14mm drain plug. If it seals, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
One thing I think a lot of people (myself among them) get confused about when talking about bolts is head size vs thread size. The original drain plug had a 17 mm head but the thread size is 14 mm x 1.50 pitch (mm per thread). Once I had a hard time getting a drain plug loose and rounded off the corners but didn't damage the threads. I bought a new plug but it had a different head size and I used to get annoyed when I went to change my oil and grabbed the wrong socket out of habit. I also had one mismatched lug nut on one of my cars so I always had to have a 4 point wrench to take my tire off LOL.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
One thing I think a lot of people (myself among them) get confused about when talking about bolts is head size vs thread size. The original drain plug had a 17 mm head but the thread size is 14 mm x 1.50 pitch (mm per thread). Once I had a hard time getting a drain plug loose and rounded off the corners but didn't damage the threads. I bought a new plug but it had a different head size and I used to get annoyed when I went to change my oil and grabbed the wrong socket out of habit. I also had one mismatched lug nut on one of my cars so I always had to have a 4 point wrench to take my tire off LOL.
Exactly!
My ‘08 EX has the original oil pan drain bolt. Bolt head is 17mm, but thread diameter and crush washer diameter are 14mm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts