8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if there was any compression issues or any lack of power putting 3in on a lil more than stock setup. Sorry if this sounds stupid

·
Registered
967 Posts
well this is constantly being debated but you'll probably lose some back pressure and therefore lose bottom power but you may gain a little high end. Basically unless you plan on boosting or running aggressive cams i would say stick with 2.5"

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
If you have say a CAI, 3 inch, and a decent header with a tune...you WILL see gains and good gains at that.

The only downfall is noise if you care about that sort of thing

If you are debating going 3 inch just do it.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
3" won't cause loss of power.

Let's just put it like that. Everyone talking about back pressure, has no clue of anything to do with this engine.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
3" won't cause loss of power.

Let's just put it like that. Everyone talking about back pressure, has no clue of anything to do with this engine.
:yeahthat: It's all in tuning for your setup. As long as you tune the motor for whatever you add to it it will produce gains from 0rpm to 8600rpm.

·
Dirt Nasty Low
25,038 Posts
Glad someone else made this thread. I have been looking into the Full Race.. but I really dont plan on going forced induction. Maybe down the road getting a RH. Keeping the stock intake for now. So slapping a FR 3' without tuning it wouldnt cause any issues with the engine? I know it probably wont gain me much with the stock i/h but down the road Ill probably swap the header.

If not.. theres always a Vibrant :dance:

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
^Why not start with a Header? It will increase sound levels slightly (sounds very aggressive, esp in the mid range) you will notice more power increase from a header vs just the exhaust.

I get the feeling that you're only interested in sound vs making actual power.

·
Dirt Nasty Low
25,038 Posts
^Why not start with a Header? It will increase sound levels slightly (sounds very aggressive, esp in the mid range) you will notice more power increase from a header vs just the exhaust.

I get the feeling that you're only interested in sound vs making actual power.
Partially true. However if I just wanted sound I could easily go out and buy a $60 shitcan and call it a day.

Like the guy said above.. tuning is expensive. If I went header and exhaust id need to get a tune.. which I dont have the money for (college budget over here) Down the road will I have a header? Probably. would I rather get rid of the stock exhaust first? Yes.

I know it may seem pointless to put a 3' or 65mm on a stock header.. but for me my car is one step at a time.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Partially true. However if I just wanted sound I could easily go out and buy a $60 shitcan and call it a day.

Like the guy said above.. tuning is expensive. If I went header and exhaust id need to get a tune.. which I dont have the money for (college budget over here) Down the road will I have a header? Probably. would I rather get rid of the stock exhaust first? Yes.

I know it may seem pointless to put a 3' or 65mm on a stock header.. but for me my car is one step at a time.
Tune? Uh dude, no tune is needed at all with bolt ons. Sure it will help, but you don't need a tune. I'm running I/H/E and I don't have a tune.

Forced Induction, yeah you need a tune. Bolt ons? Nah lol.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
and as said above, that one step should be a header first.
i had planned my setup from the start.
intake + flashpro, and as soon as those arrived my headers/exhaust were already in the mail.
did the intake and FP, used a basemap, when the headers/exhaust arrived, i installed both at once, then went with a tune.

you can get a flashpro + etune for about $850 total from evans-tuning.
they're awesome, my car runs smooth as butter, and i don't even have the final revision yet.

·
E-Tunez FTT!!!
1,940 Posts
Tune? Uh dude, no tune is needed at all with bolt ons. Sure it will help, but you don't need a tune. I'm running I/H/E and I don't have a tune.

Forced Induction, yeah you need a tune. Bolt ons? Nah lol.
Really? I think your opinion is eschewed because you don't have a tune. Drive a properly tuned car and then the same car with bolt-ons and the stock tune and you will notice from the moment you fire-up the ignition....

·
Dirt Nasty Low
25,038 Posts
and as said above, that one step should be a header first.
i had planned my setup from the start.
intake + flashpro, and as soon as those arrived my headers/exhaust were already in the mail.
did the intake and FP, used a basemap, when the headers/exhaust arrived, i installed both at once, then went with a tune.

you can get a flashpro + etune for about $850 total from evans-tuning.
they're awesome, my car runs smooth as butter, and i don't even have the final revision yet.
Im in the DC metro area so I would make the drive up to ET myself for a tune.

You failed to quote the part of my post where I stated I was on a college budget. I also have insurance payments and im still paying the car off. I dont have the funds to just drop 2-3 grand in a car. Which I would need to do in order to get flaspro tuned along with a H/E.

Re-stated: My car is one step at a time. I doubt my steps will follow any of yours.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Really? I think your opinion is eschewed because you don't have a tune. Drive a properly tuned car and then the same car with bolt-ons and the stock tune and you will notice from the moment you fire-up the ignition....
:facepalm:

Read my post - I said you don't "need" a tune. I said it will help majorly, but you don't need one with just bolt ons. Ask Udumkid who ran a 13.5 with no tune...

BTW I've got a JRSC kit with flashpro getting dyno tuned with spray so I'll let you know how that goes of?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Im in the DC metro area so I would make the drive up to ET myself for a tune.

You failed to quote the part of my post where I stated I was on a college budget. I also have insurance payments and im still paying the car off. I dont have the funds to just drop 2-3 grand in a car. Which I would need to do in order to get flaspro tuned along with a H/E.

Re-stated: My car is one step at a time. I doubt my steps will follow any of yours.
Again, Flashpro isn't needed when doing bolt ons. It helps a lot yes, but if your on a budget it's not a necessity. I'm running I/RH/E now waiting for my supercharger to go in and be tuned by Innovative motorworks...

·
E-Tunez FTT!!!
1,940 Posts

Read my post - I said you don't "need" a tune. I said it will help majorly, but you don't need one with just bolt ons. Ask Udumkid who ran a 13.5 with no tune...

BTW I've got a JRSC kit with flashpro getting dyno tuned with spray so I'll let you know how that goes of?
:facepalm: on the deez. Point blank, don't bother with mods if you want to run the stock tune, end of story.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
you could get an e-tune for less than an actual dyno tune's price. E-tunes are good enough for bolt-ons from what I hear.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts

Udumkid ran a 13.5 once, on DR's, in really great weather conditions, and has never repeated that run.

Mmmmkay.

·
Dirt Nasty Low
25,038 Posts
Again, Flashpro isn't needed when doing bolt ons. It helps a lot yes, but if your on a budget it's not a necessity. I'm running I/RH/E now waiting for my supercharger to go in and be tuned by Innovative motorworks...
Everyone does it their own way bud. Sorry if it isnt up to par with any of you all's expectations :wavey:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts