8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

· Premium Member
142,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You don't have to. They are BSing you if they say you have to. You need to have the proper viscosity (5W-30 for the K20, or 5W-20 for the R18) but that's it. I'm pretty sure it says (or equivalent) in whatever recommendations they make for service.

· Pillar of Objectivity
8,917 Posts
Tell them that you're so upset with their awful communication and service that you're reporting them to American Honda.

Then actually do it.

All these stupid dealerships claim "come here, we know your honda best".

Yeah...like when you put 5W-20 instead of 5W-30 in my car? Or when you forget that the car takes premium...idiots.

· Scrodums
9,488 Posts
I hate people who accuse people right off the bat that they're wrong. You should definitely send a letter of complaint and CC it to the general manager. If they've done it to you, they've probably done that to a great majority of people.

Best of luck Mike

· VIP Member
12,352 Posts
Damn, thats just rude..
I would be furious!
I bet your car will last longer than any car they've ever serviced huh? ;)

I would probably send a formal complaint CC'ed to that rudeboys manager, his managers manager, and his managers' manager's manager. etc..

so I guess DOW Honda service dept is definitely crap?

· Premium Member
142,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
OK, I got a call from the service manager shortly after I left work.

He said it wasn't normal that the service advisor asked me where I serviced my car and explained that the service was recommended, not required. As long as I had documentation showing my oil changes, that was about it. He said he'd straighten out the service advisor that spoke with me.

I'm not sure what to believe....

· Registered
3,195 Posts
Okay, I'm kind of lost.. I didn't read what originally happened. But in terms of him "straightening out" the service adviser... being one myself, I would say he might just mention it to the guy, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more to happen. From my experience no one really gets "straightened out" unless they do something ridiculous .. just my 0.02

· Premium Member
142,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Si_Chick said:
Okay, I'm kind of lost.. I didn't read what originally happened. But in terms of him "straightening out" the service adviser... being one myself, I would say he might just mention it to the guy, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more to happen. From my experience no one really gets "straightened out" unless they do something ridiculous .. just my 0.02
I tend to agree.

I'm not even sure if he will mention it to the guy... probably just saying that to shut me up.

· Scrodums
9,488 Posts
Perhaps I'm a bit pessimistic, but I think he's just covering his and his service advisor's ass. He tells you he's going to he's going to have a little "talk" with him, but really, he doesn't and you probably won't follow up on this problem.

· Registered
3,195 Posts
I was just saying from my own personal experience being a service adviser it depends on the situation AND on the manager... my manager is thankfully really laid back (sometimes too much) so this guy at DOW sounds like an asshat, Yodums could be right...

· Registered
274 Posts
dentrecords said:
Avoid this dealership's service department like the plague.

I'm having the following issues with my car.

-Driver's Seat Creaks when you lean back in it (probably just needs some grease)
-Driver's Door Armrest creaks when you put your arm on it (not sure if a piece of plastic has broken, or what)
-Driver's window has crazy wind noise above 100km/h, and especially so when it's cold

Spoke with the service department to make an appointment. The service guy gives my appointment information to me and the following happens:

Service: "Who has been servicing your car?".
Me: "I am"
Service: "So you're not doing proper maintenance then"
Me: "Excuse me?"
Service: "Well you haven't been servicing it here, so you haven't been doing proper maintenance on the car."
Me: "Excuse me?!"
Service: "You haven't had your oil changed on this car in 30000 kilometres"
Me: "Yes I have"
Service: "Where was that done?"
Me: "What does it matter? I've been doing it and I have records to show proving it's been done."
Service: "You have not been following the required maintenance schedule."
Me: "It's recommended, not required."
Service: "It's required. When you come in, we'll get you back on the right track."
Me: "Get me your manager right now."

I then was placed on hold, transferred to reception a few times, back to service a couple of times, paged the service manager, back to reception, then I was advised to leave a voicemail with the service manager who would then return my phone call later on in the day to address my concerns.

I'm about to rip them a new one, then call Honda Canada customer relations. I do not appreciate being told I'm not maintaining my car properly. I do not appreciate them telling me that other shops are not capable of changing my oil properly. I understand that their job is to suggest I come in and book expensive maintenance service appointments but I do most of this stuff on my own anyways. I do not appreciate being told that this stuff is required when Honda's own website lists it as "recommended" and completely irrelevant to the issues I called to have fixed.

http://honda.ca/HondaCA2006/YourHon...ear=2006&modelid=1&minder=True&TrimID=240&L=E
Do you remember which service advisor said this to you?

· Premium Member
142,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Dow Honda is going to be getting an official complaint very shortly. I took my car in yesterday to have 2-3 rattles looked at as they were driving me up the wall, and they refused to look at them due to my exhaust. I have rattles in the headliner above my passenger side visor and also coming from the passenger C pillar area, which I suspect to be a couple of loose bolts on the airbag bracket. I also have a squeak that happens from the rear seat area on the driver's side that's been fairly intermittent.

I immediately spoke with Ivan, the service manager there, who told me that my exhaust is the cause of the rattles in my car. BS, the rattles were there before the exhaust is in place. He told me the major issue was the exhaust not fitting properly. Again, BS, the exhaust fits without issue, and how that even affects a sun visor is beyond me. I demanded that the manager spend 2 minutes in the car and he will personally hear the issue. He declined but sent the very same tech out in the car with me. After a couple of laps around the building, he conceded that he heard the rattle and that it was in fact in the roof liner. The rear rattles and squeaks weren't happening at that time, but the spin us no more than 5 minutes and I was directed to bring the car in again, today to fix the roof.

The manager then proceeded to tell me that if I had issues with my engine and/or emissions systems, the warranty may be void. I called BS on this one and he repeated the same thing. I said it was after the catalytic converter and he immediately backed down and said "oh, then that's fine". So he's telling me my warranty may be void without even asking a few preliminary questions? He then puts his foot right back in his mouth by saying "the warranty for wear and tear items like your interior trim is only 1 year 20000kms anyways, so we're doing you a favour by even looking at this now."

I checked my warranty manual, nowhere does it even mention 1 year 20000kms other than that being the MINIMUM warranty for accessories installed, should they be installed after the 3 year 60000km bumper to bumper warranty. This guy is just digging his hole deeper and deeper. I don't think Honda Canada will be too pleased that he's arbitrarily attempting to change the length of my warranty to serve his own personal agenda of simply not giving me any sort of help. I know I'm not a fool and I certainly don't appreciate being treated like one.

I brought the car in again this morning, and the rattle in the back had started again with along with the roof rattle. Kind of a neat effect, because if you turn your head sideways, you get rattles in stereo, although it gets annoying after 10 seconds. I showed the tech, who proceeded to tell me a few interesting pieces of information after a quick drive. He acknowledged the rattles but wouldn't be looking into them for a few hours, and the temperature may change, increasing the chance of the symptoms disappearing. He also said that "the clips for the interior trim are very expensive and we only keep 4-5 in stock". Well how can you do the repairs without taking the trim off? Honda Canada pays for the parts used, so why not do the job properly? He said that taking the trim apart means it won't fit together properly anymore. Why is that a Honda Certified Tech can't put the car back together the way it came apart? He also mentioned (jokingly, but still, I'm very annoyed with them and he should know better) that my best bet was to remove all the interior trim and use the car as a race car.

I have no idea what to expect in terms of service, but one thing is for sure - they are getting reported for Honda Canada for their refusal to help me yesterday, and also making claims about shortened warranty lengths and voiding my warranty due to an aftermarket exhaust.

Avoid this dealer like the plague.

· Registered
3,195 Posts
Wow Mike, just wow.

IIRC, you purchased the car from DOW... so I can understand taking it back to them for service/issues. However, I will admit that after the way the service advisor treated me when I was in there/after reading this thread when it was initially started, I take my car to Hunt Club. I never even used my one free oil change from DOW.

File your complaint, I'll add to it if you need... then say **** these guys!

· Scrodums
9,488 Posts
That sucks, Mike. As I began to read the thread, I had a feeling they would point the finger at your exhaust. It's a load of crap. We know it. They know it. Unfortunately, it would be totally unacceptable for a dealership to say we can't take apart and put the car together, yet their labour rates are $90/hour. I'm disappointed they jumped to conclusion and said your warranty was void. Clearly, they have no idea what a "cat-back" exhaust is. I'm a relatively polite and quiet guy, but sometimes I wish I could just tell them straight up they can just tell me they know jack all or simply can't fix the problem.

It's funny though, ever since I got my exhaust, I do notice the rattles coming out. They are definitely not the cause of the problem, they just seem to accelerate the noise coming out. Just like the stock exhaust will sound a lot deeper on a cold start. That's just a no brainer.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.