8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
It's a lot to type.

I'm at work so I can't find youtube video but search youtube

"Double clutching" "driving manual advance techniques"

There's two good videos one by a guy in a bmw and one in a cooper. Best place to hear and see an explanation

·
Registered
227 Posts
Double clutch is the following.

Assume we are in third gear, shifting down to second gear.

1. Press in the clutch.
2. Shift into neutral, let clutch back out
3. Blip throttle to rev match
4. Press in clutch, shift into second.

Tada, double clutch.

Realistically, it isn't necessary on modern day cars because they are equipped with synchros. To revmatch, I cut out step 2 because I am lazy and let the synchros do their job, I just give them a little help :)
1. Press in clutch
2. Shift into lower gear while blipping throttle to revmatch
3. Release clutch

This is also the same action you would do in heel-toe downshifting, only here you aren't using the brake at the same time as you blip the throttle as you would in a heel-toe downshift.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
synchros??

and is double clutching the same concept as downshifting?
Downshifting is shifting into a lower gear.
Double clutching is just a method of shifting used for transmissions that don't have synchros.
A synchro is conical metal surface on the gear which brings the dog teeth on the output shaft up to the same speed as the gear you're trying to shift into. When you engage the gear, the synchro is effectively doing the work of double clutching.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Sometimes i have to double clutch to get into first when rolling around 1-5mph. For example if the light turns green as i was rolling up to a red, putting it in seconds feels like its putting a huge load on the engine (but only at 1-5mph as i said, for anything above i put it in 2nd). At first push, it just wont go in first till i let out the clutch and push it back in.

·
Registered
492 Posts
There is no point to double clutch. It was for old cars that wouldnt let you shift directly from ie. 1st to 2nd. You would have to clutch in take out of first into neutral, then clutch again to put into 2nd. If you want to rev match just clutch in shift 1st to 2nd while rev matching. There is no reason, or gain from double clutching.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
There is no point to double clutch. It was for old cars that wouldnt let you shift directly from ie. 1st to 2nd. You would have to clutch in take out of first into neutral, then clutch again to put into 2nd. If you want to rev match just clutch in shift 1st to 2nd while rev matching. There is no reason, or gain from double clutching.
to look cooler? lol dunno... when my dad is old skool, when he was teaching me how to drive stick, he told me to double clutch, than i realize there was really no point like u said...lol

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.