8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Bro got into a little accident earlier today and left me with this. Does anyone have an estimate for this? Luckily it was only the Driver's side door. Missed the Rear door and the fender. I'm planning on taking it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got an estimate. It's gonna be 900 to repair door and respray the two panels next to it to make it blend in perfectly.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
might be better off buying a whole new door... and getting it painted....

probably be cheaper, and at least it'd be true

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
DO NOT repair the door. The door has bars on the inside to protect you in an accident. The service manual states to get a new door if those bars are bent or damaged.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
LOL. I thought I was gonna see a pic of a little door dent, but that thing is huge, dude. What's up w/ all the R18's getting messed up lately? It seems like si's never get hurt.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DO NOT repair the door. The door has bars on the inside to protect you in an accident. The service manual states to get a new door if those bars are bent or damaged.
Thanks for letting me know. I remember reading somewhere about those bars. I guess it's off to the dealership tomorrow.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New Quote= $1100.

Body shop knew about bars and said that they will replace the entire door if the bars have been compromised.

Does anyone know if car paint "fades" over the years? I'm worried that the new paint will be more "lively" than the rest of the paint and make the car look odd. I'm going to have the entire car detailed at the body shop so that the paint is somewhat restored and looking like new.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
New Quote= $1100.

Body shop knew about bars and said that they will replace the entire door if the bars have been compromised.

Does anyone know if car paint "fades" over the years? I'm worried that the new paint will be more "lively" than the rest of the paint and make the car look odd. I'm going to have the entire car detailed at the body shop so that the paint is somewhat restored and looking like new.
If you really care about your paint, you wont have the body shop "detail" it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
New Quote= $1100.

Typically this doesn't seem to happen too often. In the begining it usually looks close to the rest of the car. Then over time as the paint fades you will notice that the panel that was reapainted doesn't match the original panels. At least this has been my experience.

Go to a bodyshop that is recommended by someone you know. Also, it helps to see their handywork.

I agree with asndragonboii. I wouldn't let a bodyshop detail my car. Actually, I wouldn't trust even a detail shop with touching my car. I've had the bad experience with a so called professional detail shop that a forum member recommended. They work like a cheap assembly line. They didn't take any care in working on the car. They didn't tape off the trim, and didn't follow what should have been proper steps in detailing. They also charged more then other places were quoting and I still have them a chance. However, it was a tremendous disappointment. They put more swirles all over my car using their dirty wash mitt.

Avoid Hallstar Auto Detailing and Tint in Laurel Maryland. These guys don't know what their doing and don't take care in their work. I can do a better job at home. And I am a total newb to detailing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts