8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I am pretty much clueless to the whole waxing/detailing thing. I did some reading and found out that Meguiar's is a pretty good company.

Now i am down to one company I see they have so many different products. Atleast 4 differnt types of waxes, sealants?, etc.

whats the difference between the quality of a liquid wax and a paste wax?
what do you apply wax with? one of those sponges?
what do you buff the car with? what type of material?
and what is this tar/bug remover spray?

Any info on this would be great..... i

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
paste will last longer - use the sponge to apply. Liquid tends to wear off quicker from my experiences.

buff with a soft microfiber towel or something. It won't scratch the paint.

bug/tar remover is to get the bugs off your front bumper or whatever. Claying a car will also get that kind of stuff off nicely.

different waxes have different types of shines. Usually you get what you pay for honestly. Some of the more expensive waxes almost make your car look very "plasticy" - very shiny, but some people don't like the look. I'd just try out various brands and see what you personally like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
webby said:
paste will last longer - use the sponge to apply. Liquid tends to wear off quicker from my experiences.

buff with a soft microfiber towel or something. It won't scratch the paint.

bug/tar remover is to get the bugs off your front bumper or whatever. Claying a car will also get that kind of stuff off nicely.

different waxes have different types of shines. Usually you get what you pay for honestly. Some of the more expensive waxes almost make your car look very "plasticy" - very shiny, but some people don't like the look. I'd just try out various brands and see what you personally like.
what he said. couldnt of said it better

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Kabs, take a look at Zaino Brothers products. The Zaino process takes time, however, the end results are fantastic. I use Meguiar's on my off-road vehicle and the wife's Pilot, however, for the best in polish and shine, I use Zainos on my Si.

For my own exterior care I use the following:

Washing
-Good bucket with grit filter on bottom
-2nd bucket for mit rinse (i.e., rinse in this bucket, soap in first bucket...keeps the mit relatively free of grit)
-Good quality car cleaning gel (mothers, Meguiars NXT, etc.) that does not strip wax
-Lamb mit
-Mr. Clean Auto-dry (just for the filtered water, wash solution is worthless)
-California Water Blade (for bulk water removal)
-The Absorber (works great for that water that seems to constantly drip out of the grill and other niches)
-Quality micro-fiber towelettes and full-sized towel
-Cleaner/degreaser for wheels and tires
-Tire and wheel brush
-Couple of soft bristle tooth brushes for anything that gets into seams, etc.
-Clay Bar now and then
-Bug and tar remover (just in case...here in Vegas there is CONSTANTLY new blacktop being laid and tar resealing going on...)

Exterior finishing:
-Some 3M #39009 just in case I find any scratches that need a good buff out
-Random orbital buffer for buffing out swirls/scratches (because doing it by hand is for the birds)
-Paint cleaner
-Zaino (Z2/Z5/ZFX...omg, must have ZFX if you don't want to watch water boil...and Z6 or Z8...I prefrer Z6 due to ease of use and overall general use)
-RainX for mirrors
-Non-amonia spray on window cleaner
-More micro-fiber polishing towelettes
-Meguiars hot tire and appropriately sized applicator
-Random rim polishing agent
-'The Buffer' rim polisher attachment for electric drill (gimmicky, but works great)

Interior
-Duster/pickers for dash, vents, seams, etc.
-Shop vac for general vacuuming and debris removal
-Cat hair remover (little rolling thing you use for clothes) 'cause it works great on the new Si seats and cloth door panels...which seem to be hair magnets.
-Zaino Z14 plastic cleaner/polisher
-Zaino leather protector for any leather/psuedo leather surfaces (wheel, clutch knob)
-Small plastic bristle brush for scrubbing scuffs/dirt from suede seat bolsters, etc.

I enjoy washing and cleaning my cars. Heh, anyone who does the whole Zaino process better, lol.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
seriously you guys, i got all my information from that link i posted up there. it's phenomenal. surf around on the site for a while

·
Registered
12 Posts
waxing product

GO Mothers my man i have used it on every single one of my cars adn live by it.

clay bar
waxes
polishes
the works its all...

the dancing vegies + 2 fruit
:carrot: :broccoli::cucumber: :greenappl :Orange-Sl at

1 - 8 of 8 Posts