8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new 09 Si Sedan and I love it tremendously. However, when I walk out of my apartment and am looking for where I parked, I have to be within like 20 feet or less of my car to actually unlock or even get the panic button to work. Is everyone elses range that low? I mean my mothers 03 accord can unlock from like 30 yards away or more.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Me and my friend just had a kind of messin around "competition" with unlocking our cars. We got pretty far back and still being able to unlock it took a few trys but it would unlock.

The panic wouldn't work nearly as far as the unlock did.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
keep it close to your body, it acts like a giant antenna. I usually unlock the car while keys are still in the pocket and it's not too bad. For whatever reason my trunk pop works from farther than my unlock sometimes

but I totally sympathize. My shitty chevy truck can unlock 100 feet easy and with my si I have to physically touch the car for it to unlock

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yea my range really sucks. Most of the time i have to be 15 feet or even 10 feet then it unlocks. My g/f car will unlock from good distance....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hold the tip of your key to the bottom of your chin while unlocking, works like a charm and will at minimum double the distance it works from. Don't believe me, go and try it :)

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
By the time my doors unlock, I'm standing next to my car. We might as well have keyless entry if the remote is going to be this horrible.

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
Mine seems to work pretty good. My car is parked on the 2nd floor of the parking structure at my apartment and I live on the first floor which is at least 35 feet away.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i gotta click it like 5 to 20 times to unlock the door but with my other set has super distance and its like it unlocks before i even press it(well thats what it feels like compared to my other key)

·
Registered
368 Posts
OMGWTFBBQIMDEREK ohhhhhhhhhh i finaly see it now i always though i was like a pointless thing to stare at but it all makes sense now...lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
i click it literally 2 seconds before i touch the door handle. i want it locked as long as possible. a buddy of mine opened his rsx from a good 20 30 feet away and some guy tried to open the door. he hit the panic and the guy ran away.

all that said...it does suck from a distance. on more than once occasion mine just didnt work even next to the car. but it worked the next time i tired...

·
Registered
597 Posts
You wouldn't want it to unlock if you're out of earshot anyway. Plus if it had greater range the batteries would just get used up sooner. Why do you need to unlock your car when you're 100 feet away?

·
Registered
390 Posts
This will sound ridiculous, but... hold they key up to your chin. So the key itself is perpendicular to, and just below your lips... your fingers should be touching your chin. Then hit the unlock button. This will add like 15 meters to your range. I swear. Something about the signal bouncing off of your body and back at the car i think.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a brand new 09 Si Sedan and I love it tremendously. However, when I walk out of my apartment and am looking for where I parked, I have to be within like 20 feet or less of my car to actually unlock or even get the panic button to work. Is everyone elses range that low? I mean my mothers 03 accord can unlock from like 30 yards away or more.
It's only a $20,000 piece of machinery you're still making payments on, do you really lose track of where you left it?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i thought it was the battery so i replaced it. the key fob and range is about the same really crappy.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I went and complained to a dealer about this and he told me my batteries are almost dead(lol). NO JOKE! My mom's 4runner unlocks from like 200 -500 feet, right across a soccer field one time.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
This will sound ridiculous, but... hold they key up to your chin. So the key itself is perpendicular to, and just below your lips... your fingers should be touching your chin. Then hit the unlock button. This will add like 15 meters to your range. I swear. Something about the signal bouncing off of your body and back at the car i think.
This is about as funny as the "if you locked your keys in your car have your family member at home use your spare key over the phone while you're holding your cell phone to your car" prank.

Oh man.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Why do you need to unlock your car when you're 100 feet away?
because on occasion I will forget to lock it when i get out, like if im carrying a lot of things. in this instance, i should be able to walk out to my 4th floor balcony which is less than 100ft from my car and 9 of 10 times it wont lock or unlock form that distance

if this happens with my wifes car, we dont even have to go outside on the balcony. just need ot watch near the window and lock/unlock

1 - 20 of 40 Posts