8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us have driven MANY cars. Here's my question: Does the Si rank up there with the top 10 handling cars YOU have driven? Make a list, and we'll see if the Si makes it there. When I say drive, I mean actually driven for a decent amount of time. Not a drive around the block.

My list:

1. Bmw M3 E92 (Forget it, this thing is crazy)
2. Porsche Carrera S (997)
3. Audi RS4
4. Bmw M3 (E46)
5. Corvette C6
6. Porsche Boxter (Not an S, it was my friends from around 2001)
7. Subaru WRX (08)
8. Civic Si
9. GTI
10. Shelby GT500 (That thing was a god damn boat)

I know it might be hard for you guys to make a list, but at least try. I want to see how many Sis pop up...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes. but ive only driven a handful of cars. ive riden in an m3.....forget about it eh!
The M3 is on a different level of handling. It stays ungodly flat through cornering and it takes so much for it to break grip.

I do think though some people don't give the Si the credit it deserves.

While I don't miss the Si very much, I do miss it's nimbleness when turning really tight. I can always feel the weight in my RS4.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My list:

1. Evo VIII (stock)
2. Audi A4 (99.5 1.8T, with a very nice suspension setup)

3. 2007 Si (I think it handles pretty well for being stock and fwd)

4. 3000GT VR-4 (95, made around 400hp, but handled like a barge)
5. Eclipse GT (2000, stock)

My A4 may have handled better than the Evo, it was just lacking the power. I autocrossed the A4 and Evo a lot, but I've since "retired" and have yet to race the Si.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes since I haven't driven many high performance cars.

My list would be something like this.... (only listing cars actually worth listing)

1. 2008 Porsche Boxster S (rented it for a day during a trip to San Francisco last year)
2. My 2008 Si Sedan
3. Audi A3 with DSG
4. VW GTI with DSG
5. My old 1991 Civic Si hatch I had like 6 years ago (what a fun car to drive!)
6. My 2007 Honda Fit Sport (a practical go-kart)

All other cars I've driven don't belong on the list.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yes but, it's not #1 either (yet?)
1.2006 Mazda MX-5 (Miata) 50-50 weight distribution ROCKED!
2.BMW Z4
3.VW New Beetle (Modded and turbo)
4.Civic Si
5.VW GTi
6.Mazda RX-8
7.C6 Corvette base
8.BMW 335i
9.C5 Corvette base
10.2005 Pontiac GTO (The car I learned to drive stick on! The power was awesome but, the throttle response and the fact that I got to tell the car what gear to be in is what got me hooked on driving manual.)

Before anyone says anything about the order of my list, this is based on MY driving experience with the cars which, I wasn't permitted to drive some of them the way I wanted to. All the listed GM products were driven at GM's 'Auto Show in Motion', the BMW's at BMW's 'Ultimate Drive: Support Breast Cancer Research' (AKA: Save the Ta-Ta's!) and the Mazdas at Mazda's 'Zoom-Zoom Live'.

On a side note, I drove the 2005 Chevrolet Aveo at the GM show and, they looked at me funny when I asked the security guy in the golf cart to let me drive the golf cart to compare the two.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
Man, its really hard for me to make a list seeing as i've driven a crap load of sporty cars and its hard to compare my Si to them but i will say this... having owned an AP2 S2000 and spending a good amount of time auto-crossing with it, as well as aggressive street driving (stock suspension S2K) My Si with Tein Flex suspension, (racing spec <-- for the noobs) set up for aggressive street driving (plenty of negative camber) matched with Toyo T1R tires... It handles like a 2,900 pound Go cart.

A buddy with a new STi said it handles better then his car when he drove my Si through the twisties.
Another with a E46 M3 said the same thing.

THATS WHY I LOVE TUNNING CARS!!!!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
1.) Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe
2.) Porsche Carrera GT
3.) Lotus Elise
4.) Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series
5.) Porshe 911 Turbo
6.) BMW M3 (E46)
7.) Aston Martin Vantage V8
8.) Nissan 370Z
9.) Honda S2000
10.) Honda Si

I am forgetting A LOT others that I driven, but I love my FG2 and the way it handles as my DD

EDIT: I work in the automotive industry

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These are some interesting lists...I guess each driver has their own style. But i can say that the M3, WOW! Nothing better than feeling like you can do whatever you want in a car.
I can't even explain how much I love that car...

I took the RS4 over it because there are still days where it snows over here. I don't regret it either, the RS4 handles amazingly as well.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
1.) Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe
2.) Porsche Carrera GT
3.) Lotus Elise
4.) Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series
5.) Porshe 911 Turbo
6.) BMW M3 (E46)
7.) Aston Martin Vantage V8
8.) Nissan 370Z
9.) Honda S2000
10.) Honda Si

I am forgetting A LOT others that I driven, but I love my FG2 and the way it handles as my DD

EDIT: I work in the automotive industry
really? ive heard those things are hard as hell to control

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They may be hard to control, but they handle VERY well.
According to Edmund's inside line the same day the Si (With sticky PE2 tires) was at the track, the viper was as well. They claimed the Si went through the turns at a higher speed than the Viper.

A V10 near the front axle which weighs a hefty amount is never good for handling.

The Carrera GT COMPLETELY outhandles the Viper with ease.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I can't believe anyone would say a viper handles better than an Elise... I think people can't separate power and handling. There's another guy up there who says the Mazdaspeed3 handles better than the SI (ok, maybe), and the G37? Idk. Maybe if the G37 isn't s-spec.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
So this is just basically a 'hey, look at me! ive driven lots of fancy cars' thread... right?

Simple answer... yes. Its the best handling car ive ever driven. Not the best Ive been in, just best ive driven.

In order from newest to oldest:

2008 Civic Si
2008 GTI w/ DSG
2008 Honda Pilot
2006 Civic EX
2003 Honda Pilot
2002 Jeep Wrangler
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel
2000 Honda Odyssey
1999 Acura 3.5RL
1997 Honda Accord
1996 Nissan Maxima
1993 Honda Accord
1991 Honda Accord
1990 Volvo 280DL
1990 Toyota Previa
1989 Toyota Camry

not hard to understand why the Si tops my list

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
1.08 mitsu evo mr
2.07 corvette
3.07 or 08 (i forgot) vw r32
4.04 bmw z3
5.06 s2000
6.07 pontiac soltice
7.my 08 si
8.my old 96 mustang gt
9.05 mustang gt
10.vw gti

i sell cars for a living ive only owned 2 of these.. ha

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.