8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it would seem as though people with turbo'd si's never seem to stop having their car tuned. i want to get the Greddy turbo for my car but if im going to constantly have to tune my car is it worth the hassle? once its tuned can i just leave it until something brakes and then fix it?

·
Banned
710 Posts
yea bro, of course, its a good idea to get at least performance exhaust and s new intake system before you buy the actual turbo kit. That way your engine can take it all. But that isent much of a big deal. Installing a turbo kit is fairly easy. Once it's on, you leave your car alone. You dont need to hassle and add parts just because of a turbo kit. If you dont, it dosent mean that its bad for your car at all. Its good to have performance parts on your car so you can have better performance out of your ride, but its not nessicary to do it just because you have a turbo kit. So if I were you, I'd get intake system if you havent already, and maybe some Skunk2 exhaust or something if you havent gotten exhaust already. Then I would install the turbo kit, and after that, no matience required except to change the oil and the usual

·
Registered
877 Posts
remz857 said:
yea bro, of course, its a good idea to get at least performance exhaust and s new intake system before you buy the actual turbo kit. That way your engine can take it all. But that isent much of a big deal. Installing a turbo kit is fairly easy. Once it's on, you leave your car alone. You dont need to hassle and add parts just because of a turbo kit. If you dont, it dosent mean that its bad for your car at all. Its good to have performance parts on your car so you can have better performance out of your ride, but its not nessicary to do it just because you have a turbo kit. So if I were you, I'd get intake system if you havent already, and maybe some Skunk2 exhaust or something if you havent gotten exhaust already. Then I would install the turbo kit, and after that, no matience required except to change the oil and the usual
:police:

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
remz857 said:
wow...you totally missed the point of the OP. lol. he was reffering to engine managment tuning, not additional aftermarket parts.
also, you do not get a intake if you plan on getting a turbo. the intercoller will replace it.
and as far as i understand, tuning can always get better over time as people learn new things about the ecu and better products come out, but that doesn not mean that you have to get tehm or retune. if you have a good EMS and get a tune that allows your car to run well and to your liking, there is no need to tune the car again. the main reason that you see soo many people make threads about tuning is because there is very little EMS available at this time and they are trying to get everyhting fine tuned and get the max hp they possibly can.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
:yeahthat: As you add components or just want to make adjustment; stated above are the only time you would consider tuning. I would highly recommend a tune once a year due to wear and tear of a turbo car... But if you happy with 250whp for example then once a year is fine!! I just tune the crap out of my car for better performance but drivablity..

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i want turbo
i have an auto r18
but i still think i would be neat
maybe not for the sheer power lol (yeah right)
but just the idea
and if i was in the mountains my power wouldnt drop
i just like the principle.
i guess i would prefer a factory turbo car like a volvo or similar.
if i was to drop to money on the kit, then for someone to put it in, and tune it(if thats working even) then i want to drive it everyday and not worry bout tuning the dang thing all the time.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Remember kids, DONT BOOST ON A BUDGET!

You WILL encounter problems, you WILL have to get it re-tuned in big changes of temperature ( winter, summer ), and you WILL have to keep an eye on your car more than ANYTHING else. This is not a factory turboed car, and is not designed to adjust to different atmospheres and temperature changes so easily.

If you do not have the time, patience, and $$$$$ to turbo your car, then do not do it.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Whocares05050 said:
Remember kids, DONT BOOST ON A BUDGET!

You WILL encounter problems, you WILL have to get it re-tuned in big changes of temperature ( winter, summer ), and you WILL have to keep an eye on your car more than ANYTHING else. This is not a factory turboed car, and is not designed to adjust to different atmospheres and temperature changes so easily.

If you do not have the time, patience, and $$$$$ to turbo your car, then do not do it.
:yeahthat: There are ALWAYS unforseen expenses... if you buy a turbo kit thinking it's only gonna cost you the price of the kit, you've got a reality lesson in your future.

·
Banned
6,469 Posts
GalaxyGreySi said:
:yeahthat: There are ALWAYS unforseen expenses... if you buy a turbo kit thinking it's only gonna cost you the price of the kit, you've got a reality lesson in your future.
:yeahthat:

Thats why im going S/C :thumb:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Slowroll90 said:
i want turbo
i have an auto r18
but i still think i would be neat
maybe not for the sheer power lol (yeah right)
but just the idea
and if i was in the mountains my power wouldnt drop
i just like the principle.
i guess i would prefer a factory turbo car like a volvo or similar.
if i was to drop to money on the kit, then for someone to put it in, and tune it(if thats working even) then i want to drive it everyday and not worry bout tuning the dang thing all the time.
what the hell is this? A haiku?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
...wow... I guess the intake goes in place of the intercooler pipes now? and the intercooler pipes go in place of the intake? guess you need a flux capacitor to replace the blow-off valve too aeh? :laughing:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
um, ok so i have an intake and exhaust, but the intake would be replaced by the intercooler, i know that, and yeah, i was referring to the tuning aspect. i know that our cars arent very tunable right now, i guess i was just wondering if emanage would be good enough for now. and ive seen the $$$$ and associated problems with turbos, thats not an issue for me as i have a high tolerance for problems and money related issues. just wondering if i need to retune monthly or seasonaly or will i be retuning weekly to constantly fix issues. thanks for the overwhelming responses guys!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
hey "Ridge"Racer I wasn't being a smart ass to you... actually I was referring to the douche that said "buy an intake if you plan on turboing your car" ... just didnt want ya' to dislike me for somethin I wasn't directing at you lol...

EDIT: I threw some Rep in your direction :)

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
remz857 said:
Like everyone else said just.... :police:

Why the F would you get an intake and an exhaust prior to getting a turbo kit? You do realize that the exhaust and intake from the turbo are in different from the stock ones right? You don't just bolt your intake up to your IM and call it a day, you have to run it through the turbo. Also, your exhaust doesn't just go out the back of your car the EM is different and your exhaust is different because it has to go through the turbo... Genius post...

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
KingMarineM16a4 said:
Like everyone else said just.... :police:

Why the F would you get an intake and an exhaust prior to getting a turbo kit? You do realize that the exhaust and intake from the turbo are in different from the stock ones right? You don't just bolt your intake up to your IM and call it a day, you have to run it through the turbo. Also, your exhaust doesn't just go out the back of your car the EM is different and your exhaust is different because it has to go through the turbo... Genius post...
well... LOL give the kid some dignity... you'll definately need a cat-back before you go forced induction... but besides that... I hope this kid has one hell of a flame suit LOL :box:

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
exhaust (cat-back) will definitely stay on your car even when you put a turbo in it. The only thing you dont really need is an intake right now because they give you a certain piping and the place where the intake is located is moved because of the turbo. So summed up you would have to make a custom CAI for your turbo.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
For the n00bs out there cuz obviously we have quite a few on here...

Normally your intake goes into the throttle body...which is located in your intake manifold. Reason being is because the intake is whats going to draw the coolest amount of air to make the most amount of HP (stock or not...)

Now when you add a turbo the intake is NOT the coolest place to get air... hence the interCOOLER :) . So NOW here is how your piping is set up... on the compressor side of the turbo theres an OUTLET that blows the hot compressed AIR out the compressor housing and into your INTERCOOLER PIPES. The pipe BEFORE you reach the intercooler is the HOT SIDE pipe that people talk about. Now, after this hot compressed air reaches the intercooler; the intercooler does just that... it COOLS the air charge coming thru it. Now AFTER the intercooler it goes thru some more piping called the COLD SIDE (hm...odd how they figured out that name...) and THAT MY FRIENDS is the pipe that goes to your throttle body.

However... your probably wondering... how the hell does air get into the compressor housing in the first place... well thats where the INTAKE comes into play... it goes INTO the turbo thru the turbo INLET which is the part you see the turbo compressor fins... and now it should make sence on how that works :)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

THIS IS WHAT YOU N00BS NEED TO LOOK AT >>> http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo3.htm

EDIT: The exhaust works like this... instead of going thru the HEADER it goes thru an exhaust manifold which is funnel'd down into a single 3" opening where the turbo sits on the manifold... then the exhaust wheels compress that exhaust and blow it thru your exhaust system.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
remz857 said:

Ya do what he says, that way when you get the turbo you can throw half the *** you just bought away cause it wont work with a turbo now. I would get some duct tape first. That way if you do what rem says you can figure out a way to get the short ram you just bought to work with the new intercooler. :eek:wned:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts