8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Does HID cut-off get better if in projector headlight?

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  chemicalviper 
#1 · (Edited)
To make this easy for people who search for answers in the past, cuz it was a pain searching myself.

Edit: Answers to some questions.

Does Ebay/CCFL/Projector headlights have a decent cutoff?
Answer: Yes, not at the quality of a true retro, but the cutoff is there.

Will HID bulbs fit in these headlights?
Answer: Yes, and despite what some others say it wont "melt" your housing by any means.

How is the fitment of the headlights you have picture below?
Answer: I qoute this gentleman for his answer was the main reason I am just gonna spend the money I think for retros.

laughoutlloyd8 said:
slight gaps on the ends, not really a huge issue (for me that is) and cut off's right now is horrible on the passenger side, literally only lights up 5 ft away from my headlight and it aims low to the ground, I have to ask my friend to hook it up with a new one so I can actually move the damn thing up and down cuz for some reason the one i have on now does not want to move
The light he is reffering to exactly the one below.

----

Original question.

1. Trying to avoid glare, hands down the pnp in stock headlight doesnt cut it.
2. Trying to stay under $600 for a decent HID setup, cant spend 900+ (eventho worth it) for customlightz.com setup

Hid pnp in a headligh config... like this?

Anyone have experience doing a combo like this and got pics of cutoff?

See less See more
#7 ·
I like mine, they have sharp cutoffs, with good colour, but like izzy said the STRONG beam is narrow, the light does spread and the sides are iluminated... Here is a pic taken about a month ago now, the driver side is still a bit low though, 12000k hid.

not bad, wish i had a good wall shot after i put the hid's in but i dont have one, soon my friend soon...

#9 ·
lol not yet izzy not yet, but i have cought a deer off guard... its not as narrow as my crappy cellphone cam show, since it was on night mode, it only picks up the realy bright and exagerates it....

I will take a better photo to update it... lol doenst do then justace, out of the other crappy ebay lights this one is the better out of the crap, sure it broke on my the first day but they still.... ok they are $200 for bolth, leave me alone ok? LOL :p

okokok, this is from my cannon DR, its before i got my lil philipino buddy fith nimble hands to prperly incert the bulbs..., but you can see the cutoffs, the left one wasnt even in, and the right one was cocked to the right, but now its all better...

#12 ·
Any bulb rubbing into the glass? Or any other fitment issues? I'm sure that people will want to know. It seems that you had no real issues (other than aiming, but that's another story) when putting them in, so I will assume no.

Props for trying it out for the members here! :thumb:

#13 ·
yah NP!

And no, there where no fitment issues, it fit perfectly, no gaps, and i didnt have to adjust the fenders or the hood, it was all good, the HID's where tight, and i would recommend putting in the passanger side bulb when the light is out since the brake modulator is in the way, i have prety big hands and i just could not squeze them inthere to turn the bulb, and they where phillips bulbs so they should fit, si that part was tough..., the plastic isnt cheap, it doesnt feel cheap atlease like the angle eyes ones with these stupid black boots that cover the back of the light...

the projectors had enough room inside between the bulb and cut off plate that it doesnt rub like some other lights.

i installed my side in 2 hours, and my buddy was installing the other side and had to go so the whole thing took about 3-4 hours because its a general pain to do this on the FA5's

if all you have to spend on new lights is $300 or dont like the look of retro's then i would recommend these over the others, and dont buy from ATOMICSTREET!!!!! he is a total butt piret... and get the ccfl ones...

#14 ·
tsx projectors - 130 pair
d2s bulbs - 40 pair
ballasts - maybe $200?
retro labor - 300
total = $670

you might even be able to get better deals on these if you shop around.

go to honda and buy headlights, use them while yours are getting retrofitted, and then return them when done. lol, just dont damage them. it def. worth the money to get OEm parts and a true retro fit. hte results will not be anywhere near the same with ebay housing and aftermarket crap bulbs.

#17 ·
NIGHTHAWKSI said:
tsx projectors - 130 pair
d2s bulbs - 40 pair
ballasts - maybe $200?
retro labor - 300
total = $670

you might even be able to get better deals on these if you shop around.

go to honda and buy headlights, use them while yours are getting retrofitted, and then return them when done. lol, just dont damage them. it def. worth the money to get OEm parts and a true retro fit. hte results will not be anywhere near the same with ebay housing and aftermarket crap bulbs.
You forgot harness and shrouds+any mods to make shrouds fit, this where you start breaking into the $700 range, not including headlights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.