8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
i wouldn't buy it from them.. there's better ones out there..

I personally don't think its worth it but if you want to do it..give me few minutes and i'll find you some links to buy a carputer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

unplugged said:
i wouldn't buy it from them.. there's better ones out there..

I personally don't think its worth it but if you want to do it..give me few minutes and i'll find you some links to buy a carputer.
You think i should just get a 6.5 in dash screen with nav and then put a 4 speakers and amp....Not really good with this stuff but trying....thanks

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
gaspar2411 said:
You think i should just get a 6.5 in dash screen with nav and then put a 4 speakers and amp....Not really good with this stuff but trying....thanks
If audio is your reasoning for putting a computer in your car, you'd be better of with an audio system. Not to be rude or anything, but the reality of the situation is, if you had to ask if anyone knows how to install one in the car, I'm not sure it's something you want to do. If you're unfamiliar with how PCs work, don't try this because you'll inevitably have crashes, data corruption, hardware problems, software problems, interface problems...the list goes on and on. It's not just something you can pop in there and if something happens you can send it back to the manufacturer, like an aftermarket headunit. Don't take that as discouragement, just know that if you're going to do it, you'll need some knowledge of computers, but most importantly, you'll need dedication to keep it going.

That said, here's my monitor install :D hehe...

I've been planning this for sometime now, but I'm still not sure I want to put it in the car, now that I've realized the Si has the ECU under it's hood and not under the passenger side dash. That's gonna suck ass.

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
skittleslegend said:
If audio is your reasoning for putting a computer in your car, you'd be better of with an audio system.
Ditto. Carputers aren't just something you dive into. They're cool and all, but like Skittle said, they can be a big pain. What exactly are your wants and needs? There may be an aftermarket navigation system that does everything you want without the computer aspect. Let us know.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CameronJr9 said:
Ditto. Carputers aren't just something you dive into. They're cool and all, but like Skittle said, they can be a big pain. What exactly are your wants and needs? There may be an aftermarket navigation system that does everything you want without the computer aspect. Let us know.
Yep looking for a navigation system to put in my 2006 civic ex....need to get a new dash which i would do..........I want to put new speakers and maybe amp ......any good ideas on nav systems??

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
60GB IPOD Video works great if your just doing music and videos. If you want navigation system. get a DELL Axim PDA with Mapopolis software - then get a CF gps card. - runs you about 400 for the IPOD and another 500 for the PDA/GPS Card - at least you won't have to worry about reliability of the carputer and all the wires, keyboards, etc.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
skittleslegend said:
If audio is your reasoning for putting a computer in your car, you'd be better of with an audio system. Not to be rude or anything, but the reality of the situation is, if you had to ask if anyone knows how to install one in the car, I'm not sure it's something you want to do. If you're unfamiliar with how PCs work, don't try this because you'll inevitably have crashes, data corruption, hardware problems, software problems, interface problems...the list goes on and on. It's not just something you can pop in there and if something happens you can send it back to the manufacturer, like an aftermarket headunit. Don't take that as discouragement, just know that if you're going to do it, you'll need some knowledge of computers, but most importantly, you'll need dedication to keep it going.

That said, here's my monitor install :D hehe...

I've been planning this for sometime now, but I'm still not sure I want to put it in the car, now that I've realized the Si has the ECU under it's hood and not under the passenger side dash. That's gonna suck ass.
looks pretty nice. Did you do like a DIY install for that at all? I'd love to see more pics of your setup/install.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
webby said:
looks pretty nice. Did you do like a DIY install for that at all? I'd love to see more pics of your setup/install.
Not yet, but I'm working on it. I need to figure out which wiring is which, so unless I come across a diagram, it'll have to wait until the HELMS manual comes out. If I were mounting the computer in the front, it'd be no big deal, but since I'm mounting it in the rear and it's currently -19 below outside, I'm not going to put it in, which is yet another reason you shouldn't do if you don't know even know how to take it out. I'm using parts I had for an old PC. The hard-drive is from a laptop though and I used a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter for that. I'll explain more and take more pictures of the setup within the next day or so. I need to get off but lazy butt and work on it. :)

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
wow -19!!! Where do you live? How do you plan on mounting your system. You doing it up under the deck lid, or side, etc? Just currious.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Skittle- A little off the last note, but did you buy that extra dash trim from the dealer and you are using that for mounting and fitting and stuff so you don't mess with the car? Or is that the actual piece?

Also What is the clearance in depth behind that cover. Like the CD player depth? is it like 8" deep Less more? I like the Idea of a carputer and I am very Savvy with PC modificationing and what not.. Intresting to learn this stuff.. Suddenly I am brewing up ideas! OH MAN here I go again!

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
webby said:
wow -19!!! Where do you live? How do you plan on mounting your system. You doing it up under the deck lid, or side, etc? Just currious.
I live in Vermont, lol. Moved up here for school and I think I should move back down to Maryland when I'm done. I was telling someone I went up to Montreal a few months ago (I live an hour from the Canadian border and 2 from Montreal) and it was so cold there, the water in my eyes froze. At that point, I said HECK NO....lol.

As far as mounting, I may put it in the trunk, which is what I'm leaning towards, but I'm also considering putting it behind the drivers seat. I may just end up going in the trunk because of the room there, unless I decide at some point to remove the rear seat (which I will do...at some point :) ). Should it go in the trunk, I'll put it together with my sub enclosure. Nothing fancy. No fiberglass, it's gonna be a stealth install.

Wicked_Stylz said:
Skittle- A little off the last note, but did you buy that extra dash trim from the dealer and you are using that for mounting and fitting and stuff so you don't mess with the car? Or is that the actual piece?

Also What is the clearance in depth behind that cover. Like the CD player depth? is it like 8" deep Less more? I like the Idea of a carputer and I am very Savvy with PC modificationing and what not.. Intresting to learn this stuff.. Suddenly I am brewing up ideas! OH MAN here I go again!
Wicked> I bought the extra piece online from a dealer in Rhode Island (Majestic Honda) for $32.14. Part #77250-SNA-A01ZA found here:

Gunmetal Dash panel

This isn't my pic, but it's one from a radio install.

Not sure if you an gauge the depth but I'd say about 7-8.2" or so behind there. Depending on whether or not you use the backseat, you could mount it behind the driver's or passenger's side. The glove box is another option but I need that for papers and crap (hey, bad habits are carryin over to the Si. lol)

If I missed anyone's questions or if anyone has anymore, just ask. I tend to miss things. :)

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I've seen a few people mount it up under the deck lid of their trunk. It obviously was out of the way. They basically just had it mounted between the rear deck speakers. They just had some mounts made to let the pc hang.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
I'm going to actually put it to the right off the spare tire well, on top off the false floor. I'm going to fabricate a wooden box and install a fan to keep ambient temperatures low. I'm also considering a liquid cooling system, but we'll see how it goes for now. I'm going to cover the entire thing (with the exception of the fan) with carpet for an OEM stealth look. Don't want people looking in my trunk to know about how the computer being back there unless I want them to know it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'll do you one better...these links are old, but i built this and used it. worked fucking awesome...

DVD-ROM
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pa...00000363/818200000a47000000010000659c000023e8

HDD
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pa...00000535/8182000009c1000000010000659c00002108

Case
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/243

Motherboard w/ CPU
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/209

Touch Screen
http://www.xenarc.com/product/700IDT.html

I threw a tv turner and an 802.11g in there, and mounted it in the trunk under the back dash. I wish i had pictures. Check out the http://www.logicsupply.com lots of awesome stuff for this kinda thing. But that setup is beautiful.

Loaded it with XP Media Center 2005 and I was good for anything I wanted. Sat in my driveway and downloaded movies, mp3's, etc from my server at home via wireless, and then was set to go. Picked up random wireless lans while driving sometimes, touch screen worked great with an on-screen keyboard.

I was going to switch to Tablet PC edition 2005, but i sold the system to a buddy. Built it for somewhere around $2,000, sold it assembled for about $2250. I did put alot of work and sweat into it.

The case made it, get that case and that motherboard, you wont regret it. But as always don't take my word, research it! That's my disclaimer...lol :rockwoot:

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
ScorchedHands said:
I'll do you one better...these links are old, but i built this and used it. worked fucking awesome...

DVD-ROM
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pa...00000363/818200000a47000000010000659c000023e8

HDD
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pa...00000535/8182000009c1000000010000659c00002108

Case
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/243

Motherboard w/ CPU
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/209

Touch Screen
http://www.xenarc.com/product/700IDT.html

I threw a tv turner and an 802.11g in there, and mounted it in the trunk under the back dash. I wish i had pictures. Check out the http://www.logicsupply.com lots of awesome stuff for this kinda thing. But that setup is beautiful.

Loaded it with XP Media Center 2005 and I was good for anything I wanted. Sat in my driveway and downloaded movies, mp3's, etc from my server at home via wireless, and then was set to go. Picked up random wireless lans while driving sometimes, touch screen worked great with an on-screen keyboard.

I was going to switch to Tablet PC edition 2005, but i sold the system to a buddy. Built it for somewhere around $2,000, sold it assembled for about $2250. I did put alot of work and sweat into it.

The case made it, get that case and that motherboard, you wont regret it. But as always don't take my word, research it! That's my disclaimer...lol :rockwoot:
I'm two steps ahead of you. :p A pic of my Lilliput is ^^^^ up there. I've already built the computer. I'm using a Sony DVD-R/RW for the main ROM drive and a 40G laptop HDD. I have a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter for the HDD and an external CD writer with a 6' USB cable in case I decide to mount it upfront. 5 channel Hifonics amp to bridge the audio between the speakers and the computer. I just need a front end, which I'm working on, and the car lol (*fingers crossed for Thursday!!!!!!!*). I'm going to change the case to lexan and cut a whole in it to mount the fan. I'm thinking about drawing air from somewhere outside of the car but we'll see how it goes. I've considered removing the seats because they're just dead weight any way, since I have no kids and it's pretty impractical for an adult to sit back there. Not sure if I still wanna do that, but I could make an intake and exhaust tract for the piping. I'll try to draw it up later and you guys can tell me what you think.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just note that, the power supplies on that site are the most helpful. Made for car applications, some of which will even act like you're hibernating the computer after your car has been shut off for more than like 30 seconds. Some nice features.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
ScorchedHands said:
Just note that, the power supplies on that site are the most helpful. Made for car applications, some of which will even act like you're hibernating the computer after your car has been shut off for more than like 30 seconds. Some nice features.

I have a startup/shutdown controller for that :D

I usually get my stuff from mp3car.com. I went through them because they've got a forum. Problems are inevitable with this setup. I know what I'm doing, pretty much, but there are certain aspects that it's better to just ask when you're not sure about something. They've gone through it all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow I am so wowed that ppl actually install full blown comps into their cars... how do you guys deal with all the heating issues?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts