8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm facing a huge dilemma right now about my future career opportunities.

Right now I'm planning on going into pharmacy. The pay is amazing around here (90k+ out of college at mayo clinic..), the schooling isn't too long (6 yrs) and I have a good interest in medicine/science.

However.. I feel like I'm picking that just because of the money. I have a strong interest in cars.. it's not just a hobby of mine, or something I'm into because I'm a teen.. I just love cars, love talking about them, love looking at ones I'd never even want to own.. just to check them out at the dealership. When I go to the mazda dealer about an hour from me, they have such a huge damn lots, that it's like the toy store to me.

The problem is I just can't think of any realistic jobs that would have to do with cars and all that.. Salesman is out because I SUCK at haggling. Someone would come in at 500 below invoice and I'd just bend over and take it. And then besides that, pay is mediocre (~50k if you hustle).

So basically my dillemma is go into something that I'll probably 'somewhat' like, but make excellent pay that can afford a lifestyle that I want to live. I figure if I do this, once I'm out of school, with the money I'd be making, I could get into cars more seriously as a hobby.. take some classes on actually working on cars etc.

Or do I go into something that I know I'll really like, but the pay wouldn't be as much and I probably couldn't afford some of the thigns in life that I'd like.. like a nice house, owning a nice car and a daily driver, and other luxuries like that.

Kinda confusing, but I just applied to do any work available at a Honda dealership and a Chevy/Subaru/Caddy dealer, so we'll see I suppose.

Does anyone here have a job that they hate, but they put up with because of the perks?
 

·
Ijuswannachill
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Well, since you have even a slight interest in medicine, I say pursuing that field of work isn't a bad idea at all, especially since you can make bank. Actually... hell, here's an idea for you... start pimping cars on the side. Go take a automotive paint class, learn the ins and outs of it, and start hustling older cars with some fresh paint. Not only could you enjoy it and learn more about cars, but you can also make some good side cash. It's amazing how much a paint job can sell a car with the "classics". You don't have to work at a stealership to pursue cars as more than a hobby. There is plenty of "side" jobs out there dealing with cars, that is just one example! Hope you take this into consideration. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,648 Posts
Before I joined the military I worked for Penske Logistics. Made crazy loot but hated the job. I quit and joined the military because i wanted to travel and just feel apart of something that was bigger then just me. Making a lot of money and hating your job is OK for a while but your life is only so long. You just have to figure out what makes you happier, money or work. if most of your time is spent happy because your rich and only miserable for the few hours a day at work then maybe you'll be ok in that career. But if work starts following you home and you start to dread going in the next day then maybe you would think about finding something else. Even if it means a paycut.


Why spend your whole life miserable only to find out in the end that money isn't going to take away the misery of your younger years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,589 Posts
Do something that you love. In the end, you will be much happier than just having a lot of money. If you can get a job that you both enjoy and make good money, then go for it. Pharmacy is something that will continue to grow and the opportunities should always be good.

I am a teacher and absolutely love it. I have done it for many years and while I am not as rich as some, I am comfortable. The main thing is that I am happy to go to work and look forward to the challenges of the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NitrousG35 said:
I am a teacher and absolutely love it. I have done it for many years and while I am not as rich as some, I am comfortable. The main thing is that I am happy to go to work and look forward to the challenges of the day.
Out of curiosity, where and what do you teach? You can't be doing too badly driving a G35 and an SI :dancing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,059 Posts
dude my aunt works 3 days a week for Rite Aid as a pharmacist and she makes 85k.

take the other 4 days to do what you love.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Sadly some jobs that people have a passion for doesn't really cut it with the pay. For example, someone who makes $30k a year and absolutely loves their job. After they get home, they know they have to cut down on certain things in their life. They don't get to enjoy everything they want to. As opposed to someone who is making $100k a year and is content or doesn't favor their job too much, but get to have all this extra money for what they really enjoy doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ Yeah that's what I'm thinking. If I can go to work and not absolutely hate it, and make enough to live a nice life.. I think that would outweigh LOVING to go to work, and then cutting back on the rest of my life.

I wish you could work 3 days a week and make 85k haha. I talked to a few pharamcists at Mayo Clinic (big hospital in my town), and they told me starting was right around 90k for a 8-5 job, 5 days a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,059 Posts
psyshack said:
My problem is,,,, I just hate working anymore.
exactly. when you hate working, you come to the realization that you dont want to ruin something you love. therefore, you want to hate something you already hate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
I Vtec said:
I'm facing a huge dilemma right now about my future career opportunities.

Right now I'm planning on going into pharmacy. The pay is amazing around here (90k+ out of college at mayo clinic..), the schooling isn't too long (6 yrs) and I have a good interest in medicine/science.

However.. I feel like I'm picking that just because of the money. I have a strong interest in cars.. it's not just a hobby of mine, or something I'm into because I'm a teen.. I just love cars, love talking about them, love looking at ones I'd never even want to own.. just to check them out at the dealership. When I go to the mazda dealer about an hour from me, they have such a huge damn lots, that it's like the toy store to me.

The problem is I just can't think of any realistic jobs that would have to do with cars and all that.. Salesman is out because I SUCK at haggling. Someone would come in at 500 below invoice and I'd just bend over and take it. And then besides that, pay is mediocre (~50k if you hustle).

So basically my dillemma is go into something that I'll probably 'somewhat' like, but make excellent pay that can afford a lifestyle that I want to live. I figure if I do this, once I'm out of school, with the money I'd be making, I could get into cars more seriously as a hobby.. take some classes on actually working on cars etc.

Or do I go into something that I know I'll really like, but the pay wouldn't be as much and I probably couldn't afford some of the thigns in life that I'd like.. like a nice house, owning a nice car and a daily driver, and other luxuries like that.

Kinda confusing, but I just applied to do any work available at a Honda dealership and a Chevy/Subaru/Caddy dealer, so we'll see I suppose.

Does anyone here have a job that they hate, but they put up with because of the perks?
Umm, have you ever thought of being a mechanic? Or, are you saying you're just into looking at cars and aren't mechanically inclined?
If you're into cars and mechanically inclined, really passionate about it, and good at what you do, you can make pretty good bank as a mechanic. At least here you can...
Can't believe no one suggested that...
I'd say do what you love... eventually making bank wont mean **** if you're totally unhappy with what you're doing. Just my 0.02... :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Or how about having a job with $100k+ and opening your own garage or something. Personally I think if you really love cars, you're not going to enjoy every aspect of a mechanic. There are going to be some jobs that you have to do and won't like it at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,648 Posts
Undispu7ed said:
Or how about having a job with $100k+ and opening your own garage or something. Personally I think if you really love cars, you're not going to enjoy every aspect of a mechanic. There are going to be some jobs that you have to do and won't like it at all.
Very true. I love IT but would hate to work a help desk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Si_Chick said:
Umm, have you ever thought of being a mechanic? Or, are you saying you're just into looking at cars and aren't mechanically inclined?
If you're into cars and mechanically inclined, really passionate about it, and good at what you do, you can make pretty good bank as a mechanic. At least here you can...
Can't believe no one suggested that...
I'd say do what you love... eventually making bank wont mean **** if you're totally unhappy with what you're doing. Just my 0.02... :thumb:
True, but unless you own your own garage, I don't think you'd ever make a considerable amount. I think if I had a nice paying job that wasn't bad, wasn't great, I could just afford these expenditures on the side. Like taking mechanical classes and whatnot. And I'm pretty 'mechanically' inclined in general.. not to the point where I could take the clutch out of my car (in fact, I probably couldn't even do anything on the car without severe instructions) but I understand how things work for the most part, and usually have a good idea about fixing minor things that break.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,059 Posts
Si_Chick said:
Umm, have you ever thought of being a mechanic? Or, are you saying you're just into looking at cars and aren't mechanically inclined?
If you're into cars and mechanically inclined, really passionate about it, and good at what you do, you can make pretty good bank as a mechanic. At least here you can...
Can't believe no one suggested that...
I'd say do what you love... eventually making bank wont mean **** if you're totally unhappy with what you're doing. Just my 0.02... :thumb:
but there is a difference in being a mechanic....

you know a mechanic takes a broken car, and fixes it? thats not really what alot of people have in mind when the dream about working with cars.

suggesting mechanic may be good for some people, but for others, its like suggesting to someone who likes botany to be a gardener.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
ivtec. watch out with the mayo clinic thing.
those higher paying pharmacist jobs usually mean that u need to do a residency. thats usually one year long, u make 40k for that year, and ur everybodys whore.

just giving u a heads up so u can consider that. You can make just as good money working in a retail chain too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bsramzy said:
ivtec. watch out with the mayo clinic thing.
those higher paying pharmacist jobs usually mean that u need to do a residency. thats usually one year long, u make 40k for that year, and ur everybodys whore.
So what's the problem? :laughing:

But in all seriousness, if that is true (which it may very well be), I'd take a year @ 40k (which is more than some people make every year, and isn't bad) and be the office cum-dumpster if that meant getting a nice, secure job at the clinic. That place is big and offers some bad-ass perks, even though they are cutting out some of the bigger ones, like big retirement pensions and whatnot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
I've been working in the Resaurant industry for bout 10 years now. Went to The Culinary Institute of America, got my associates and what not. I enjoy my career for now but I could def see myself hating it when i'm bout 40. Thats when the mid-life hits and I go pursue something else probably car related...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
441 Posts
I Vtec said:
I'm facing a huge dilemma right now about my future career opportunities.

Right now I'm planning on going into pharmacy. The pay is amazing around here (90k+ out of college at mayo clinic..), the schooling isn't too long (6 yrs) and I have a good interest in medicine/science.

However.. I feel like I'm picking that just because of the money. I have a strong interest in cars.. it's not just a hobby of mine, or something I'm into because I'm a teen.. I just love cars, love talking about them, love looking at ones I'd never even want to own.. just to check them out at the dealership. When I go to the mazda dealer about an hour from me, they have such a huge damn lots, that it's like the toy store to me.

The problem is I just can't think of any realistic jobs that would have to do with cars and all that.. Salesman is out because I SUCK at haggling. Someone would come in at 500 below invoice and I'd just bend over and take it. And then besides that, pay is mediocre (~50k if you hustle).

So basically my dillemma is go into something that I'll probably 'somewhat' like, but make excellent pay that can afford a lifestyle that I want to live. I figure if I do this, once I'm out of school, with the money I'd be making, I could get into cars more seriously as a hobby.. take some classes on actually working on cars etc.

Or do I go into something that I know I'll really like, but the pay wouldn't be as much and I probably couldn't afford some of the thigns in life that I'd like.. like a nice house, owning a nice car and a daily driver, and other luxuries like that.

Kinda confusing, but I just applied to do any work available at a Honda dealership and a Chevy/Subaru/Caddy dealer, so we'll see I suppose.

Does anyone here have a job that they hate, but they put up with because of the perks?
that's funny. i just changed mine to working with cars. designing and building. lol
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Top