8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Does anyone get shocked, when getting out of thier Si?

4K views 79 replies 69 participants last post by  db8typer 
#1 ·
Almost everytime I get out of my Si and close the door I get shocked. Its when i grab the door to close it. It sucks! Any thoughts, does anyone else have this problem?:SHOCKED:

#15 ·
yup me too. I just hold onto the door striker on the body as I get out. Its really amazing how much charge you build with these seats. Sometimes I only put the back of my hand on the quarterpanel as I get out and I can feel the current crackling off the back of my hand as I get out!

#16 ·
i suffer from the same problem, just about every time i get out it happens! kind of annoying actually.. i found this maybe this will help on not getting shock :SHOCKED:

This is most likely due to Electrostatic Charge. That being said, you generate static either by friction (sliding) or by clothing.

Very dry cloth (nylon, silks, rayons and some polys) are more prone to create static. Over drying them makes the matter worse. Some fabric sheets help reduce this problem.

If you want to avoid it, try changing your clothing material, avoid sliding off the seat when you get out (not an easy task) and by holding a small metal object (such as the car key) tightly in your hand, and allowing this metal object to make the first contact with the door or door handle so that the static charge is destroyed. You may see a tiny spark, and although you may sense something, the shocks that you have been experiencing will be avoided.

#25 ·
Just about every time I get out of my car and close the door. It's electrostatic shock for sure. Probably has alot to do with the type of cloth our seats are made of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.