8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wats up everyone I am new to the site and just got my Fiji FA5 on Monday, now I noticed that when taking off in first when i go to give it some gas before releasing the clutch it lags really bad and the needle goes no where then all of a sudden fly's up to 3k rpm then pulls off. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I tried searching using different keywords and could not find anything I only know of the transmission problem which I have not experienced. I purchased the car with 19k miles at a Suburu dealer, should I take it to Honda and have to check it out? Oh and sorry if this isn't the right section

·
Registered
727 Posts
The Si takes some practice to drive. When I first got mine, the car was bucking around with every shift...

...try this: Each time you shift, give it a little gas before letting off the clutch completely. You'll get the hang of it. :thumb:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yeah...After just a few weeks of ownership (about 3 now), all of my shifts have become butter smooth. It's such a fun car to drive! :woowoo:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks guys I just wanted to make sure it was nothing major, first time driving a car with this drive by wire.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Wats up everyone I am new to the site and just got my Fiji FA5 on Monday, now I noticed that when taking off in first when i go to give it some gas before releasing the clutch it lags really bad and the needle goes no where then all of a sudden fly's up to 3k rpm then pulls off. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I tried searching using different keywords and could not find anything I only know of the transmission problem which I have not experienced. I purchased the car with 19k miles at a Suburu dealer, should I take it to Honda and have to check it out? Oh and sorry if this isn't the right section
as others have said, it's the drive-by-wire throttle. unlike a mechanical throttle, drive-by-wire is entirely electronic and rounds the last series of inputs into a smooth transition, in an effort to prolong the life of the mechanical parts (transmission etc.) this is why there is a slight delay going from 0% throttle to any at all; the drive-by-wire system is rounding the lack of throttle into however much you are giving it.

i didn't like it at first either, since i was largely used to older cars with a mechanical throttle. you do get used to it, but it definitely takes some time. it isn't bad, or worse; it's just different. it also helps in casual driving, since lifting off of the pedal entirely won't immediately cause engine deceleration, allotting you more time to shift gears before the engine speed can descend past the ideal point of clutch engagement.

you'll learn to be more gentle with the throttle over time. i was doing the same thing you were doing in my first month or two adapting to the car -- too much throttle at launch, too much throttle when upshifting, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts