8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 143 Posts

· Registered
1,337 Posts
I just found this issue in my 2011 1.8L civic. Coolant leaking through the engine block. Yet to find anyone who has had this issue for a ‘11 Civic
On a 2011? Thats a rare breed. The only ones that crack are the ones from 2006-some 2009 model years. Are you sure it's just not a hose or a different leak somewhere?

If it did crack, is it the original engine that came from the factory? It could be possible that the previous owner blew up the original engine, and put a defective 2006-2009 one back in..........

· Registered
1,337 Posts
I'm just curious if anyone has had luck living with this problem and just adding coolant as needed? I had a 2009 that started losing small amounts of coolant, I think the problem started around 170K IIRC. I never verified that it was leaking from the usual places, I just checked it every night and added a few ounces of coolant to bring it up to the filler neck. Oddly enough it hardly used any coolant in the summer, but needed topped off any time the temp dipped below 60F or so. My theory was the heating / cooling cycle of both the block and coolant in colder weather exacerbated the problem. It seemed that it would leak just enough to relieve some of the pressure in the cooling system. I never tested this by letting the level drop more, I feared getting an air bubble in the cooling system.

It's also possible it was something else entirely, maybe the heater core seeping. Usually used about a gallon of coolant through the winter and almost none in the summer. Thsi was driving 100+ miles per day. Got rid of the car with 256K miles due to undercarriage rust but it still ran and drove great and never overheated.
I have had to add Coolant every once in a while as well. I don't think it's a block issue since my car temp is perfectly fine. My 2006 R18 is at 161K with the original block.

· Registered
1,337 Posts
Its very strange that this happened to you. Is it leaking behind the exhaust? It could've been possible that the previous owner swapped the engine, and wasn't documented via CarFax. That's the dangers of buying used car unfortunately.

There are 0 reports of block fractures from the NHTSA website on the 2011 Civic.

You might not want to hear this, but i would take it to the Honda Dealership and make sure the Engine Block actually fractured. Your choice, but you don't have to.

· Registered
1,337 Posts
Waaaait, i just remembered. Take it to Honda and see if you qualify for a new engine. There was a TSB service bulletin where 10 years (i think) from the original purchase date, you could get a new engine completely free with no charge (if the engine block really fractured). Yours being a 2011, it's only 9 years old. They don't care about mileage.

Don't mention anything about the possibility of the engine being swapped. Just go in and tell them about the coolant leak. It's not 100% guarantee that it will work since i think the warranty was only offered for 2006-2009 Civics.

· Registered
1,337 Posts
KBB Pricing for the 2011 Honda Civic ranges around $6,500 - $8,500. A new engine, and labor together will probably exceed $2,000.

Honestly it's up to you if you think your car is worth fixing. There's still plenty of value in it being a 2011. If you junk it as is, you might actually be losing money just to not deal with the hassle.

If the cars in poor condition already (exterior wise), then honestly it might not be worth fixing. The value of the car will degrade (like damaged body, or faded paint).

If you plan to put a new engine, obviously drop a 2010-2011 Engine (pointing out the obvious).

· Registered
1,337 Posts
Any luck finding replacement from dealer or manufacturer? I have same thing missed deadline by months. Been sitting in garage since.
What i've heard is that no matter what "fix" you do to it, it just won't work. Whatever fix it gets might hold on for a while as temporary, but the real fix is to swap the whole engine or junk the vehicle. It's unfortunate but for some people, JB weld has worked for them. I don't know about epoxy.

· Registered
1,337 Posts
Jb weld is epoxy. Before you put the epoxy on, spray the area with brake cleaner or denatured alcohol and that will clean off the area and let the epoxy stick. Should work just fine. A pack of jb weld is like 5-7 dollars and almost all places carry it including Walmart.
Dumb moment, I didn't know smh. I've never had to use that kind of stuff in my car. 163k on the original block.

· Registered
1,337 Posts
It's really a hit or miss with the 06-09 Civic's without proper documentation or proof that the block has been replaced by the dealer. 168k on my 2006 EX and it's been perfectly fine with the factory block.

1 - 10 of 143 Posts