8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Sorry if this isn’t the right area to post but I am too grief stricken with the repair cost of 4.5k. I would like to start a thread to so we can document how many other people's engine blocks are cracking after the 10 year warranty expiration. I just had mine crack (after 102k) last week and brought it in. I am 2 months out of the warranty coverage.

I did a bit of research and saw that the engine normally fails at around 90k-110k miles.

Since there are people out there who dont drive more than 8k miles a year it would take about 11.25 years on average for their engine to fail.

I want to know from other owners do they think it is possible to get a class action put together to cover this issue indefinitely because 100k and buy a new engine is a bit ridiculous.

Again sorry if it isnt the right area maybe a moderator can help me. Again this is a 2.5k-4.5k issue. I feel that it should be addressed by the community.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My car had just over 96,000 miles on it. After I noticed that the engine block was cracked, I called Honda and was also just 2 months out of the 10 year warranty. They wouldn't even budge an inch.

I work at an Apple service provider and their customer service is a lot better in this circumstance. I've had a customer come in and their computer had an issue with the logic board, which was covered under a quality program. We found out that the computer was just past the extended warranty and the customer bought the computer used, They called Apple customer support and they extended their coverage no big deal and we covered it under the quality program (The logic board is one of the most expensive parts in the computer as well). The reason why they do this is because they back their products, they want everyone that uses an Apple computer to recognize that the product is top quality as well as the customer service, where as Honda cared more about how much money i've paid them in the past and not about backing their vehicles or even offering good service.

It was rough for me as this was my first car I ever purchased and now i'm stuck with a broken car and a $6k loan that I can't pay off because Honda wouldn't extend it or back their vehicles.

Anyways, there are my frustrations. Glad to help with the experiences. I really would love for Honda to take a little bit of action and help us out as it wasn't our fault the engine blocks are cracking, but a poorly built engine that they should take a hit on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The customer service rep, actually I talked with two of them, both told me that even if I missed the 10 year mark by just a day, then I was out of luck and it was then my responsibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was JUST about to make a new thread asking about this, glad I searched first!

My 2006 Civic was just diagnosed with this problem yesterday. Independent mechanic quoted $5800 for a new engine, more than the car's value. I was briefly elated when I found out about TSB 10-048...until I read a bit closer and saw the 10-year cutoff.

I already called the local dealer yesterday and they confirmed that since the car was originally sold in July 2006 (not to me), the cutoff was July 2016. I also sent a Twitter DM to Honda customer service last night (yeah I'm in denial) to ask if there's any possibility of leeway. Based on responses here, I guess that will be a big NO when they get to work on Monday.

*sigh* So my next question for the Civic experts here: can I expect to get ANYTHING for trade-in on this car? I know how to find KBB value and such if it's in good running order, but I really don't know if I have anything to bargain with given the major repairs required. (It ALSO has a pending recall for the passenger side airbag since they haven't gotten those Takata parts yet. >.< )

I'm looking for a newer used car under about $12,000, so even $1000 or so for the trade-in would help. Or would I be better off selling it to a junkyard? I don't even know how to go about doing that. (I can learn, just venting frustration at this whole situation!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been doing more research on this and found several people who've filed complaints with NHTSA. Others who are in the same boat (or rather car) may want to do that too. The forum won't let me post a direct link because I'm a newb, so just copy & paste this:
Code:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
If they get enough complaints filed on this issue, it could turn into a full recall. Since NHTSA exists to investigate safety hazards, emphasize that aspect in your complaint instead of just your dissatisfaction with a defective product. I was lucky that I noticed the coolant leaking before it was depleted altogether, but other people have had their engines overheat on the highway because of this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't even bother with Honda they are getting stiff on their warrantee especially out here in VA Westbroad Honda is ****. They wanted to charge me 5000 to buy a next motor and another 3 grand to put it in.

I left and this was for my 2008 Honda civic si mind you. Then they had the nerve to call me back asking me would I like to have the takata airbag changed out I replied hell no you guys are not touching my.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't even bother with Honda they are getting stiff on their warrantee especially out here in VA Westbroad Honda is ****. They wanted to charge me 5000 to buy a next motor and another 3 grand to put it in.

I left and this was for my 2008 Honda civic si mind you. Then they had the nerve to call me back asking me would I like to have the takata airbag changed out I replied hell no you guys are not touching my.
First of all Honda has no engine warranty or recall past the original 3yr/36k on the k20z3. Also, refusing an airbag warranty is foolhardy, and I hope you understand the consequences of the takata airbag.

Second, these cars are 10 years old. When you have a 10 year old car, even without a generous extension of a powertrain warranty, stuff fails. Usually around 10 years you get engine failures and transmission failures. Its a tough situation to be in, but Honda had already made it very clear that they remedied the situation far beyond the manufacturers normal responsibility point.

The car is not worth the engine replacement past the 10 year point per a manufacturer standpoint. Honda puts a new engine in your 10 year old 110k civic and in 2 weeks you come back because the transmission died. Its not worth it.

Your only hope is to contact a lawyer and expect to pay more in legal fees before you get any judgement in your favor than if you had simply replaced the engine or purchased a new vehicle. The truth hurts.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Im so worried now... Im supposed to buy one with 93k miles on it next week...
I know double post, but this is needed and this thread should be locked on this subject and stickied.

NO ONE should be buying a 2006 Civic. Avoid it like the plague. Its a first year release of the then 'new' model. This is why the engine has issues. This is why the transmission will have issues.

Look at 2008 and newer. But do NOT buy the 2006 civic unless you have verifiable proof that the engine has been replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'07 Civic cracked block

Hello,
New member here.

My '07 Civic (118,000 miles, purchased in March 2007) is about 5 months past the 10 year extended warranty period and Honda is replacing the cracked block, which they originally priced at $6000! for what they say is the labor cost, about $1600. They are paying for parts. I was hoping they would pay the whole thing but I'm glad they offered this to me.

I originally contacted them through Twitter and then I called Honda in California. It took awhile, but they were courteous and helpful.

I'll add, however, at the risk of being called an ingrate, that for a manufacturing defect like this I do not believe there should be any time limit on Honda's culpability. But, as I said, I'm happy with the resolution and I hope it works out. The car will be ready next week.

If there are any questions, please feel free to reply to this post.

Thanks,
Richard Garcia

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to my car a couple of days ago. It smelled like antifreeze, so I took it to my brother-in-law last night (who is a mechanic), and he did a pressure test and said the engine block is cracked. I bought this car used last year from a little old lady who took really good care of the car. I also have taken really good care of this car. It is an 06 Civic and it has ~120k miles on it. I am taking it to Honda today to see what they say. Hopefully they will be helpful and willing to take fix it since there was a recall, even though it has "expired." This happened through no fault of my own, and had I been aware of this issue I wouldn't have bought this car.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
This just happened to my car a couple of days ago. It smelled like antifreeze, so I took it to my brother-in-law last night (who is a mechanic), and he did a pressure test and said the engine block is cracked. I bought this car used last year from a little old lady who took really good care of the car. I also have taken really good care of this car. It is an 06 Civic and it has ~120k miles on it. I am taking it to Honda today to see what they say. Hopefully they will be helpful and willing to take fix it since there was a recall, even though it has "expired." This happened through no fault of my own, and had I been aware of this issue I wouldn't have bought this car.
It is a WARRANTY EXTENSION not a recall. There's a huge difference.

Don't expect much, if anything, from Honda. And don't use the excuse of it happening through no fault of your own and you wouldn't have bought it had you known. Had you done your due diligence, you'd have known because it's very well documented.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I know double post, but this is needed and this thread should be locked on this subject and stickied.

NO ONE should be buying a 2006 Civic. Avoid it like the plague. Its a first year release of the then 'new' model. This is why the engine has issues. This is why the transmission will have issues.

Look at 2008 and newer. But do NOT buy the 2006 civic unless you have verifiable proof that the engine has been replaced.
Sadly, I mostly agree with this.

An '06 Civic LX sedan has market value around 3k give or take a couple hundred depending on miles and condition. It's not worth buying a 3k car that could potentially need a 5k motor replacement.

I would actually go even further, and also recommend avoiding any model year '07, '08, or very early '09 non-Si car. Basically, avoid anything with an R18 motor until late 2008 (The Honda TSB has VIN ranges for a couple tens of thousands of units for MY 2009 cars), UNLESS there is documented proof that the block was replaced with the revised part.

R-blocks have been rock solid after the revision, but the original design parts IMO are basically a game of roulette with a potential time bomb of big expense. There is no way to know which original blocks suffer the porosity issue and will eventually crack. The fact that people are still running into this issue in 2017 highlights the financial danger.

Safest for R18 is to buy a 2009 (Outside of the TSB VIN range), 2010, or 2011 car. If you are buying something older and can't find one with a verified replacement block R18, buying an Si with the K20 is a safer bet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just what percent of these engines are failing? I have a 2008 with only 57 K miles and I am debating whether to keep it beyond the 10 year mark.

As for Honda taking care of customers DON'T COUNT ON IT! My transaxle and clutch came apart at 26K miles (and no, I didn't do anything wrong - it was actually during a gentler than normal shift from 1st to 2nd when it all came apart). I had it towed to the dealer, logically assuming it wold be covered under warranty. They declined to honor the warranty. Their official response (Honda USA, not just the dealer) was, "We don't see any defects." I guess being in pieces doesn't count. Too new to have aftermarket parts, and at the dealer to boot. They had me over a barrel since it was already apart. Big $.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Happened to my 158,000 2007 Civic Ex 2 weeks ago. Curiously a year ago I took it to Honda Of Manhattan for something unrelated and the guy mentioned the tsb. But stated that if the vehicle was over 100,000 is unlikely to happen. Fast forward November 2017 it happens and the warranty had expired March 2017. Called Honda of America corporate and various dealers and they were unable to help. Ended up purchasing a 2011 Engine.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
56 Participants
Allan78
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing