8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as we know them (clutch pedal) will ever be phased out in favor of the clutchless paddle shifters? cause damnit i love doing the shift dance with both feet and moving through the gears :vtec:

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I can see it happening in the super cars made for track use, with an OPTION for a traditional MT. However, in our price range, probably not. It'll always be an option to get the SMG/paddles.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well only the high end super cars have good clutch-less manual trannies, they can shift lightning fast. Whereas the basic "tip-tronic" trannies aren't nearly as good as normal manual trannies.

But I agree rowing through the gears are fun, but usually I get lazy especially in traffic.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
chanchan said:
Well only the high end super cars have good clutch-less manual trannies, they can shift lightning fast. Whereas the basic "tip-tronic" trannies aren't nearly as good as normal manual trannies.

But I agree rowing through the gears are fun, but usually I get lazy especially in traffic.
VW DSG tranny shifts FAST but who knows about long term reliability

the new evo x is supposed to have a sick dual clutch paddle shifting tranny

·
Registered
59 Posts
i think the Evo X has the clutchless tranny. and i think you can get the regular transmission with a clutch. or you have the option of the manual/clutchless paddle shift transmission.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
^^^ a manual trans. just isnt a manual trans. without a cluch pedal.
Couldn't agree more. Plus manuals are cheaper to make so they can technically say the car starts at a lower MSRP.

And in my opinion manuals are phased out already. I would put it at less than 10% of cars are manuals vs 50-60 years ago when the % of manuals was alot higher. (been told that at least lol)

Now we got the CVTs finally commin in that will phase out the overly complicated automatics.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think that the DSG is the perfect tranny for the girl. She does not have to think about it when she is driving, but then I can have plenty of fun. Ive driven the VW with it and its actually really fun. Long term reliability really is the only issue with me.

Tiptronic is a joke though.

Im confused as to why more people on here dont like it, with so many shifter problems, I would think that not ever having to worry about a gear popping out, or a lazy driver grinding everything.

·
Registered
579 Posts
What happens when the technology starts getting cheap enough to manufacture the DSG or whatever in just about any car for a small upgrade price?

It already seems like less and less people are driving manual these days... it's unfortunate but to me it seems like we'll be seeing a phasing out of manual cars :(

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Tiptronic is a joke though.
:eek:mg: i love driving the 911 Turbo in tiptronic!! its quicker 0-60 than the true manual by i believe 3/10 of a second.. and its more practical for daily driving cause if you feel the need, you can throw it over to the "paddle shifting" on the steering wheel.. and thats just as fun as manual...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Plus manuals are cheaper to make so they can technically say the car starts at a lower MSRP.

And in my opinion manuals are phased out already. I would put it at less than 10% of cars are manuals vs 50-60 years ago when the % of manuals was alot higher. (been told that at least lol)
:yeahthat:

automatics werent even invented many many years ago!

what transmission do you think the model T had? :thumb:

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
If you look at the direction many manufacturers are going with transmissions for higher performance models, it would seem that clutchless manual transmissions will be the future.

Looking at racing, F1 and many sports cars in ALMS and Grand Am use clutchless transmissions with paddle shifters. Ferrari in particular, has made its clutchless transmissions lightning fast. The new Nissan GT-R has gone this route too.

Volkswagen and Audi have taken this technology and have allowed it trickle down to lesser models like the GTi. As more and more consumers want more and more sophistication and luxury in their cars, manual transmissions will decline.

Let's face it: Having the benefits of a manual transmission and an automatic combined into one has quite an appeal. Being able to switch between modes is an attraction for many, especially when caught in stop and go traffic.

I for one though still long for a manual transmission. There is something about the interface between using the clutch, applying gas and rowing through the gears that is immensely satisfying. I would be sad indeed if they were discontinued. I don't see this happening anytime soon however.

·
Premium Member
112,534 Posts
If they remove a clutch from all cars what i wont be able to buy a car that any of my friends can drive. I hope they never stop making them.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
:yeahthat:

automatics werent even invented many many years ago!

what transmission do you think the model T had? :thumb:

Yea i never payed attention in history class so wikipedia is my friend :)

"Oldsmobile's 1940 models featured Hydra-Matic drive, the first mass-production fully automatic transmissions."

"The first torque converter automatic, Buick's Dynaflow, was introduced for the 1948 model year"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts