8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to remove the bumper on an 08 civic si in order to install new headlight housing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s no way to leave it on? If so, that sucks.. my bumper was popping out so I had it drilled into place and covered :/ knew I should’ve changed them first

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
Why drilled into place? I suspect the front corner clips didn't want to "snap" back on, seems to happen often.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct, the front and rear bumper clips were broken from the first owner and they kept flapping in the wind.. so the guy at the shop told me the easiest way to fix it was to drill it into place, fill the holes and paint over it so they’re not noticeable. Butt my headlights are badly oxidized so now I’m screwed :/

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
1) drilling it is the worse way to do (IMO), but that's me. Why do I say this (Its my opinion but....)? Because when/if you have to replace the bulbs, you kinda have to take the bumper off to get to them.

2) If your lights are badly oxidized, you don't need to remove them to clean them up. I use Mother's Mag Wheel cleaner (small jar). Takes the nastiness off, all you need a little elbow grease. Remember to tape up the paint (bumper/hood/fender) before you do this. Afterwards, get some clear coat to spray/coat them. Yes, the correct way to do it is to completely take them off, but i've found you don't have to.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to the shop and they only drilled in the back bumper, the front they were able to fix without doing so.. so that makes me really happy lol

I tried to have the headlights cleaned in the past and it didn’t really do anything(the guy used a sander and products), I suspect the damage is on the inside of the lights. I’ll give mothers a try and see if it hopefully works. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
In the 13 years I've had my car, I've taken off my rear bumper only once (to replace the rear light assemblies. Good to hear the front is not permanently screwed on. I've taken my front bumper off, probably 30 times by now. Anyway, if you don't care, you can get aftermarket lights for cheap if the restoration doesn't pan out. Good luck!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I went to the shop and they only drilled in the back bumper, the front they were able to fix without doing so.. so that makes me really happy lol

I tried to have the headlights cleaned in the past and it didn’t really do anything(the guy used a sander and products), I suspect the damage is on the inside of the lights. I’ll give mothers a try and see if it hopefully works. Thank you
Listen to EdNaviEx... I can tell he has retrofitted projectors into his headlights like I have. He knows what he's talking about. You're headlights might have "crazing" happening to them... That's when you have tiny micro cracks on the inside of the lens. No amount of polishing will fix that. If it is indeed crazing. The front bumper should snap in. You just have to make sure you pull up on the center of the bumper so it clears the crash bar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Correct, the front and rear bumper clips were broken from the first owner and they kept flapping in the wind.. so the guy at the shop told me the easiest way to fix it was to drill it into place, fill the holes and paint over it so they’re not noticeable. Butt my headlights are badly oxidized so now I’m screwed :/
You can always use the sandpaper method, unless you were wanting to make an upgrade (RGB, black housing, etc). I do think the bumper will need to be removed though if you are replacing the whole housing (if only the bulbs then you don’t have to). The headlights are extended around and the pumper basically covers those areas to keep them that much more secured if that makes sense. Here is a picture of what I was trying to explain below:
You should be able to see that there is an edge that extends outside of the actual headlight framing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts