8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont need to know if you think one is better than the other I just want to take a poll to see how many auto vs manual owners are out there...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I ordered a manual. In my opinion they are alot more fun to drive not to mention, I feel a little more in control when driving stick. There are benefits to both stick and auto though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I seem to switch auto/manual every time I get a different car. I have auto now in the new EX sedan but my previous car for the last 8 years was a manual 5-speed. The manual is definitely more fun to drive. But I was a little tired of shifting plus the the MPG for the Civic auto is better so I decided to go with the auto this time around.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
i've had Manual for past 4 cars.... loved it but I tend to speed more with a manual transmission for some reason. lol

and civic's auto is 5speed, more MPG, and i tend to speed less(true) which leads to less tickets lol

I definitely love the auto in the civic.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
i got my LX in manual.

i just wanted to master manual, which i think is coming a long nicely

·
Registered
332 Posts
What are the RPM's you guys experience with Auto and Manual at highway speeds. Particularly, at 75MPH?

I agree with CivicWithNav... when I'm driving an auto, I never mash the gas pedal unless I NEED to for whatever reason. But when I'm driving stick, I'm more tempted to climb the rev range... thus killing gas mileage, speeding, and setting the stage for a road rage incident:eek:

FWIW, I saw the first 8th gen driving on the road tonight. It was a coupe and appeared to be an LX. Kind of exciting!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks Nav. I did the math and here's what I came up with for the auto...

60 - 2200
65 - 2333
70 - 2467
75 - 2600
80 - 2733
85 - 2867
90 - 3000

Anyone got a few numbers to work with for a manual?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got my EX in manual...been wanting to learn it for a while, finally found my perfect car in a perfect color and couldn't resist it.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
i too as well have the EX manual..it's great never going back to auto

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've driven an tiptronic in a VW and was dissappointed with the feel of it... although I've heard from other sources that compared to higher end Tiptronics, VW sucks.

You should learn stick sometime, it really is as great as people make it out to be :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got my LX in auto, haven't gotten anyone to teach me how to drive a manual yet. Tryin to get my friend with a 98 civic teach me but he says I got to heavy of a foot, lol. Oh well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't expect the results from people on this site to be proportional to the actually number of autos vs. manuals Honda makes because most people that join sites like these are car enthusiasts and most car enthusiasts prefer manuals.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
jandree22 said:
Good point. Few years ago I was checking out used Civics and about 80% I came across were Auto.
I think my dealer does it by color. The black Civics (4 sedans and 2 coupes) were autos. So were the reds (one of each) and whites (one of each). The only manual was a silver one, which is the one I test drove.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 1st manual was the beetle we had bought in January. Was terrified to learn how and thought I couldn't do it, but once I got the hang of it I decided there is no going back! I get bored in an auto and always try to use the clutch that isn't there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
manual is better, u lose less power, have more control. car is faster and easier to stop as well. auto is for lazy people or people that are too uncoordinated to drive stick

·
Registered
45 Posts
celery gt-5 said:
manual is better, u lose less power, have more control. car is faster and easier to stop as well. auto is for lazy people or people that are too uncoordinated to drive stick
Ouch, celery GT-5! That hurts. I have driven a manual Ford Ranger for the last six years. I got the auto LX sedan after weighing the options carefully. In the end, the higher rated mpg sold me on the auto. Now I feel like a traitor to the manual cause.

I don't really miss the manual shifting with this new tranny, it seems that this auto is quicker and more responsive than my old pickup's. Way to go Honda for making an auto fun to drive. But I do have to admit that driving a stick shift is more fun. And I do drive slower with an auto, echoing previous posters.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts