8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know but, IMO i think the reason why they gave the civic si 139ft/lbs so that you will not get torque steer. To going around a auto-x track too much torque can slow you down, cause you can't accelerate through the turns. with less torque you can accelerate through the turns.
this is just what i've seen. Correct me if i'm wrong.
please give your opinions.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I was told the higher your rpm's go, the less torque you'll have down low. I know that's a crappy answer, but it's all I got.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
mattsbobo said:
I'm no mechanic, but I was told the higher your rpm's go, the less torque you'll have down low. I know that's a crappy answer, but it's all I got.
That's basically right. There's a certain RPM (I forgot which-- it's like 4400 or something around there) where horse power & torque are equal & is the basis for dyno tuning. Once past that point, the engine is making less torque.

(per my understanding)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you answered your own question in your thread title : "4banger." What 2L n/a 4 cylinder motor produces a good amount of torque? none, so why should a honda be any different?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dan1 said:
I think you answered your own question in your thread title : "4banger." What 2L n/a 4 cylinder motor produces a good amount of torque? none, so why should a honda be any different?
i know a 4cly is not going to give you mad torque. just wanted to ask for opinions and answers. I've noticed there is alot of people complaining about the si not having enough tq.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I would give up 1k rpm's for a little more torque. I don't really take it to 8k that often anyway.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imo, on a 4ccyl it doesnt matter much. i don't think you can get 200ft/lbs on a 2.4liter. just look at the cr-v and the element. they both have low profile cams and just barely getting 160ft/lbs. What i have noticed in the past is that a 4cyl with low revvs is not as fast as a higher rev engine. like the k24 and the k20a2. the k24 has more tq but less hp. if you put the k24 into the rsx-s will it be faster than the k20a2 or the z1. the only way you can get 200ft/lbs is with FI.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
eh_civicracer said:
i know a 4cly is not going to give you mad torque. just wanted to ask for opinions and answers. I've noticed there is alot of people complaining about the si not having enough tq.
Those that complain aren't real smart then because this is nothing new, and I mean nothing new. They've been doing it like this with these cars for over 20 years, and by that I mean the CRX, CRX Si, etc. You want a bunch of torque then you'll get crappier mileage and spend more $ for the car, insurance, and fuel.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
The question has already been answered.. Torque was traded off for a sky high redline. It's my understanding that the higher the tq the longer the throw (i.e. displacement) and when you get into a longer throw it's naturally going to be harder to safely rev higher, which is something that you can get with some higher end cars because of the r&d and additional money spent on having stronger blocks/heads to be able to handle this while remaining n/a.

The thing that gets me is everyone bitches about hondas not having Tq, and yet when honda created an engine with more torque (k20a3) people complained about it not being that much better than the em1. It had the same hp rating, but it bumped up the tq to satisfy those that were complaining about it not having tq. What do people do when they finally get an si with tq? ***** and complain about not having a sky high redline. I think Honda knows that Americans have no idea what they want, so they'll just give us what they think is best.. High revving, no tq having Vtec riddled cars. (which I don't have vtec, nor a high redline but I make decent tq when compared to my hp.. how about that?)

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Torque and horsepower cross at 5252 rpms and the reason I bought the si (well, one of the reasons) is to go over 8000 rpms, Love that VTEC! :vtec:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
the funny thing is... when honda was designing the k20 and the r18, one of their goals was to create good torque #s throughout the entire powerband.

one thing they did accomplish, was making the torque stay at good levels throughout the powerband.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts