8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend is trying to sell his laptop on craigslist and he got 2 responses but to me they both sound like frauds. The only thing im confused about is that they both offer to pay with paypal. Let me know what u guys think

Hello seller
how do you do? I am Jane all the way from the Uk, I work for a petroleum company(Chevron) in the Uk,I am in Mesa, Arizona for an official assignment after working here for two weeks now I will leave for Japan and I have spend a week now. My son who is schooling in a missionary school in Nigeria told me to get him a laptop for is studies.
He has been asking me for this but I dont have the time to send it to him because I am very busy, please I will really need your help in this transaction, I will like you to sell this item to me and help me send it to him in Nigeria, I will pay you for all the cost that requires both the shipping cost and the cost of the item just tell me the amount of everything I will pay you, tell me how you will get your money either by bank wire transfer or by paypal I will pay you everything you want. thanks
best regard
Jane Williams
this one sounds more legit than the first one to me
hello , how are you doing today? i saw your ads on craiglist and iwould like to inform you that am so much intrested in it so muchbecause i wanbt to get it for my boy as a birthday present, i wouldhave gone shopping but due to the nature of my job , i am not alwayschanced, i do have a tight working shedule that does not permit me tohave enough time to shop, i would like to inform you that i would bepaying you $850 via paypal account because thats the most efficient andbest method of payments,pls i would like you to get back to me withyour paypal account so that we could transcact bussiness, have a greatday

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Sure does. Both of them. Bad grammar, too much talking, one is out of the country. Pass. Stick with someone local. After all, I thought that was the whole point of Craigslist.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chase said:
Anything with Nigeria in it is obviously a scam.
I know that, but usually they only offer to pay with a money order or wire transfer. I have never seen them offer paypal as a form of payment which is what is getting me confused.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
06si said:
I know that, but usually they only offer to pay with a money order or wire transfer. I have never seen them offer paypal as a form of payment which is what is getting me confused.
PayPal is used in 30+ countries as a means of payment. Usually the scammers have stolen credit cards or have stolen someone's ID. They use those cards on PayPal and send you the money that way. By the time you've sent off the merchandise, PayPal has locked your account. You're out the money and goods.

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
Ive had someone pay me through paypal. 3 days later, the money got pulled out. I dont know how but I lost the payment they sent. Yes through paypal. Good thing I didnt ship my video card. LOL. so yea.. Nigeria lol thats when I stopped reading

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jasonandre said:
PayPal is used in 30+ countries as a means of payment. Usually the scammers have stolen credit cards or have stolen someone's ID. They use those cards on PayPal and send you the money that way. By the time you've sent off the merchandise, PayPal has locked your account. You're out the money and goods.
I told my friend that he shouldn't send it out until the money goes through into his bank account.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
As long as the money is in the bank... its fine... right??? I wouldnt ship anything till the money has gone through. Sometimes it takes over a week for paypals e-checks to be cleared. And ya, the fact that they are telling a story to try and make it seem more legit, gives it away.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
paypal cannot fight against CC compaies. if the card ends up being stolen but the money is already out of your paypal account, your paypal account will go negative since the CC companie filed it with paypal. and they will send you to a collection agency after some time( cannot really collect but thats a whole other topic). technically paypal cannot go into your bank account after the money has been transfered to it and take the money back...but i would remove my bank account just to be safe.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Fraud fuh sure, I put a laptop for sale on Craigslist awhile ago, and even though I was specific as to local pick up and cash only I was getting numerous hits about paypal payments, cachier's checks, etc. Only accept cash payments and don't ship anyhting to anyone

·
Registered
595 Posts
Duce2k said:
Fraud fuh sure, I put a laptop for sale on Craigslist awhile ago, and even though I was specific as to local pick up and cash only I was getting numerous hits about paypal payments, cachier's checks, etc. Only accept cash payments and don't ship anyhting to anyone

^ WORD Nuff said.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts