8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure where to put this thread, but since this has to do with tires, I figured here would be good.

DO NOT USE NJ DISCOUNT TIRE ON ROUTE 206 IN ANDOVER, NJ!

Long story, short: So I ordered Yokohama S Drives from this tire shop and the guy asked for my credit card number to hold the tires for me. He ends up charging my card without consulting me. It's been over a week and I have no tires. I went back a few times and each time the tires, conveniently, weren't delivered yet. Tried to get a refund yesterday and the guy said he's absolutely not giving my money back since they were special order. I gave him a few chances to refund my money and he won't. So he will now be investigated by my bank and the Andover Police Department, as well as receiving a letter from the Better Business Bureau.

Here's the detailed version that was given to the bank, police, and better business bureau:

Thursday, April 22- Called NJ Discount Tire at 4:08 PM to order tires. Spoke with the owner who told me that the specific tires (Yokohama S-Drive 225/40/18) were $148 each, including mounting and balancing. I asked for 4 of the tires and was then asked for my credit card number. I asked the owner why the number was needed and he told me that it was to hold the tires for me. I asked if my card would be charged and he assured me that my card would not be charged until the tires were installed on my car. I asked if I would be able to get the tires installed on Wednesday (4/28) and he assured me that the tires would be there by Monday (4/26) or Tuesday (4/27) so it would not be a problem.

Tuesday, April 27- After checking bank balance online, a request for $656.56 from NJ Discount Tire had been submitted on my Checking Account. For the 4 tires at $148 each plus tax, the total should have been $633.44. I called NJ Discount Tire that evening at 8:12 PM and left a voicemail asking why my card was charged without being authorized by myself.

Wednesday, April 28- The withdrawal for $656.56 on my Checking Account went through. I did not receive a call returning my message from the night before. I went to the shop to get my tires installed around 1:00 PM. I was told that only 2 of my tires had been delivered. I asked why my debit card was charged prior to installation and was told that the tires were special order and therefore non-refundable. This was the first time that this “policy” was told to me. Nothing about this “policy” was said during the initial ordering phone call on Thursday (4/27). I asked why the charge was more than the original price. He said that the $656.56 included removal of old tires from the rims. I explained that there are no old tires since they are brand new rims. He said the money would be credited back to my card. The difference was never credited back to my account. I was then told that the tires would definitely be in by Friday at 11:00 AM. Unable to be there on Friday, I told him I would be here first thing Saturday morning (5/1). I was told that the shop opened at 8:00AM so it would not be a problem.

Saturday, May 1- Arrived at the shop at 8:03 AM. The owner arrived at 8:15AM. Immediately upon seeing me, I was told that only 3 of my tires had come in. I was also told that the fourth tire would be there by Monday (5/3).

Monday, May 3- Arrived at shop around 12:30PM. The owner was busy with another customer, but immediately told me that there were still only 3 tires there and that the fourth would be there Tuesday (5/4). I was told that the tire was still in Parsippany, NJ. I told him that I would like a full refund and that I would like to bring my business elsewhere. I was told that he would not refund my money due to the fact that they were “expensive tires that were special order”. I told him that he did not have authorization to take funds from my account when I first ordered the tires. He said that if tires are special order, they are non-refundable. I told him that he never called me to tell me this and that he never explained this to me. He then continued to say that I was being “thick-headed” for turning this into a problem and not just waiting a day. I told him that my card was charged, without my permission, almost a week ago for tires and installation; neither of which I received. I told him unless my card was credited the $656.56, I would go to bank and file a dispute form for unauthorized withdrawal. He said that I could do that, but it would take a few months to get my money back. I told him that I would then go to the police station to file a civil complaint for theft of services. He then replied, “how far do you think that will get you?” He then explained that he would take off $20 per tire if I waited until Tuesday (5/4). I told him that I did not want to do business there anymore. I then left the shop for a few minutes to compose myself and make a phone call to my stepfather for advice. I returned to the shop shortly after and explained the situation very simply to him. I said that he could return the money to my card or I would be notifying my bank and the police. He then told me to go ahead “through all of the red tape.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

So in the end, I will get my money back, but I could be waiting for up to two months. The thing is that I actually researched this place before buying from the guy. He's been there for over 20 years and has done business with some of my family members before. Hopefully no one else has had experiences like this. Thanks for looking and stay away from this business...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: The Better Business Bureau sent him a complaint letter which he "returned to sender" claiming they had the wrong address. His address is on his website and I just called and he gave me the same address.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with a tire shop?

How can I let other people know not to use this business?

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
it will only tak ea couple days to get your money back.

chargebacks are fast. chase refunded a fraudulent charge/cahrgeback the same day i complained.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
You have a debit card, not a credit card. I cant believe you called the police lol. They must have been laughing about that at the station. It takes time to get the tires, but whatever. Should have went to tirerack!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
You have a debit card, not a credit card. I cant believe you called the police lol. They must have been laughing about that at the station. It takes time to get the tires, but whatever. Should have went to tirerack!
do you realize what you just said? i hope you're not serious man.

The guys debit card was used without his permission, you can file a police report for that, they don't laugh around in a circle at the station cause over 600$ was taken from you. damn.

and NO it should NOT take that much time for tires to come in. They come in as a set of 4 if you order 4 at the same time!! THEY ARE TIED TOGETHER. there is NO reason for them to come in 1 by 1.

The guy has effed with him and he needs to face consequences for that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's not the fact that the tires took too long...if he told me that from the beginning then it would have been fine. But he charged my card without authorizing it by me, overcharged me, and now refuses to give me a refund. If he was apologetic and sincerely concerned with the situation, then I may have waited another few days. He insisted on being an a**hole, even with other customers there.

PS ^^ thanks 08civlx...you hear what i'm trying to say. if it was $50 or even $100, then I could see not bothering the police with it...but its $650+

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
The whole situation is pretty messed up bro. The charge shouldnt take that long to get taken off, i had one for 700$ reversed within a day on my debit card. Either way, keep on the better business bureau, they are your best bet to get people to know not to deal with that shop. ON the other hand tirerack.com is the place to go. Update the thread when possible!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the better business bureau sent him that letter and he had it returned, so they closed the case. I emailed the representative handling the case asking if there was something else they could do. I can't imagine this is the first business owner that won't accept a complaint letter from the BBB.

Spoke with the police today and filled out a report. The officer said they can't do much because when it goes all the way to court, it would be my word against the shop owner's. The officer said that he definitely believed me since they receive a lot of complaints about the guy, but they can't charge him with anything.

Also found out that the tire warehouses that this guy orders from will only do business with him if he pays in cash, in full before the order is shipped. Apparently, he has tried to screw over some of the warehouses with bad payments before too...go figure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another update:
Apparently I'll receive a provisional credit from my bank within the next 10 days. Mastercard (who my debit card is through) will then have 60 days to investigate the claim. If they approve it, they'll get the money back from the guy and all will be right. If they deny it, I'll have to give back the provisional credit and have to work something out with that guy.

Just ordered some Hankook Ventus V12's from another local REPUTABLE dealer. Finally getting my GP's mounted after 3 weeks of them sitting in my backseat!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Another update:
Apparently I'll receive a provisional credit from my bank within the next 10 days. Mastercard (who my debit card is through) will then have 60 days to investigate the claim. If they approve it, they'll get the money back from the guy and all will be right. If they deny it, I'll have to give back the provisional credit and have to work something out with that guy.

Just ordered some Hankook Ventus V12's from another local REPUTABLE dealer. Finally getting my GP's mounted after 3 weeks of them sitting in my backseat!
That's good to hear that they are acting on it. I'm surprised that you left GP's in your backseat for 3 weeks for everyone to see. Good thing they didn't get jacked, then you would have really lost your mind. Good luck with the fight against poor service.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
wow :facepalm: your contribution to this thread was not only useless, but ignorant and succeeded to kill off a few of my brain cells as well. You should probably re think ever posting anything again.

Another update:

OP I sincerely hope this gets resolved. I hate businesses that try and give you the run around. IMO, it doesn't matter if its 5 or 500 dollars you are dealing with. If you are paying for something, you should be getting your money's worth every time.

Keep us updated and good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I finally got some Hankook V12's mounted on my GP's. 225/40 looks great but the thin sidewall makes me nervous driving around.
The guy never called me to tell me that the 4th tire came in (Yoko S Drives), so I'm assuming he never got it. It's on back order for over a month right now. I've been telling everyone I know not to use this business. If you know anyone in the area (Northern NJ) make sure you tell them to stay away from NJ Discount Tire.
JRF Tire on Route 23 was great. Good, quick service and decent prices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do not use this place! They are scam artists. We had a slow leak in our rear driver tire. Before bringing it to the tire shop we put a tire chalk mark on the inside of the tire. We dropped it off and they told us there was a problem with the seal around the rim and they fixed it (they being the owner). Two days later we were still having issues with a slow leak so we finally drove it down to our friend who is a Ford mechanic. He took the tired off and all they did was move the rear driver tire to the front passenger side and filled it with air!!! We know this because the chalked tire gave it away. When I confronted the owner with this during a phone call he just denied it. To boot, there was no seal placed on the rim and our friend found a screw in the tire, which was the real cause of the air loss.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Recently heard of 3 more people getting old tires from this guy when they paid for a brand new set. It's just sad because most people wouldn't think to check. It's also a shame that this guy is still in business. Tell everyone you know not to use this guy. NJ Discount Tire in Northern NJ...HORRIBLE service. Stay away and save yourself a headache.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old Thread I know - The owner screwed a lot of people, good news is he's gone for good finally. He close several months back - It's been reopened with new owners and word is things are much improved and still the cheapest around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts