8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is my question, I currently have the stock Si suspension paired with Tein Stech Lowering Springs, and I love the way the car rides and looks. My car is a daily driver, but about once every 2-3 months I take it out for a Nasa event (not auto x, but road course). Now my current shocks (or is it struts, damn i dont know suspension) are going bad and it is time to replace them. Many people have recommended to me to get Coilovers because they are great performance wise, but my question is for what I need do I really need them??? Would a good pair of shocks and my lowering springs be fine?? Also for example the SKUNK2Pro C give you full adjustments of damper (this i understand more adjustment for fine tunning) but the Pro S only give you ride height, So does that mean if I like my ride height and dont need to have the ability to adjust it, that would make the pro s point less and would be no more useful to me than lowering springs and shocks correct???

So long story short the question is
over just getting new shocks and keeping my springs
what benefit do i get from going to a full coilover like a pro c?
or what benefit do i get from going with a pro s?

BTW I AM NOT SAYING THAT I AM GOING WITH SKUNK2 SO PLEASE DON'T BASH THEM OR SUGGEST THAT I TRY A DIFFERENT BRAND THIS IS JUST FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES
Thanks for your response

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Do you require height adjustment? Do you require higher rate springs?

If yes, look into a decent coilover. There are many out there, you will have to do research to find the features you want. They are not all created equal.

Are you satisfied with height? Do you feel your current spring rate is sufficient?

If yes, look into the KONI Sport (Yellow) damper application. Rebound force adjustable (S/A). If you needed more valving you could send the dampers in for revalving to be more aggressive. Contact KONI-na for pricing. Or get some KONI D/A (adjust rebound and compression separately) dampers from Redshift Motorsports. Those would be $$ though. Many of the auto-x guys run them being they are in a class where they can only run stock oe springs. Redshift also sells coilovers utilizing KONI valving, if you want best of both worlds. Contact them if interested.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have tracked many many times with my now gone Evo, and I DID not have full "coilovers" I just had MR struts(Bilstein) and Swift Spec R's specifically deigned springs to match the shocks. I lapped many cars with more "stiffer, better performing coilovers."

If you do Auto X often enough I would suggest higher rate springs with matching struts. This would be night and day difference compared to your current set up as you are really working (or lack of) stock struts with the springs you are running.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you require height adjustment? Do you require higher rate springs?

If yes, look into a decent coilover. There are many out there, you will have to do research to find the features you want. They are not all created equal.

Are you satisfied with height? Do you feel your current spring rate is sufficient?

If yes, look into the KONI Sport (Yellow) damper application. Rebound force adjustable (S/A). If you needed more valving you could send the dampers in for revalving to be more aggressive. Contact KONI-na for pricing. Or get some KONI D/A (adjust rebound and compression separately) dampers from Redshift Motorsports. Those would be $$ though. Many of the auto-x guys run them being they are in a class where they can only run stock oe springs. Redshift also sells coilovers utilizing KONI valving, if you want best of both worlds. Contact them if interested.
No i dont need the adjustment, I am fine with the height that is provided by my lowering springs,

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are you satisfied with the spring rates then?
How does one go about determining if spring rates are satisfactory? This seems difficult with dampers (especially poorly valved/tuned dampers or ones not suited to the springs). Perhaps if you had no damping at all it would be easier to figure out the best spring rates.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
if you dont need height adjust ment or diff spring rates and you are happy then just get better struts.

konis are very good.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I myself am going with sk2 springs and tokico hts, which are completely adjustable dampening wise. I too plan on some point going to the track for fun, but nothing to serious. Just my .02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts