8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Heat soak affects me more than you lol so don't worry...the intercooler is more of what the term is used for.
I HIGHLY doubt there is an appreciable difference in real to the wheel horsepower, but hell...someone actually run a dyno difference if they can. None of this "post the manufacturer" sheets though.

all in all, if you wanna run hood spacers, do so, I won't, I believe it is the natural progression from rice to super rice, just before you throw the lighted windshield sprayers in :p

·
Registered
660 Posts
heatsoak doesn't prevail much at dynos because usually our hoods are open and a big ass fan is blowing into the engine bay
true, but the fan is onlyused to simulate the amount of air received from driving...and close the hood :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
this all results in personal preference...I like a short ram..had a bad experience with a cai with the filter down low...until you have positive pressure in your intake, I doubt the guy in the mustang next to you cares if your IAT is +5* over what it should be lol

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
if it was +5 over I would care less, but 20-30 I do. But I agree with you. I chose SRI because I was afraid. but I decided to have both since I live in SD.

·
Registered
88 Posts
alright, now we need more people to confirm this by reproducing the results
i agree...also maybe someone running a turbo at different boost levels would be nice to see i know on my old 97 prelude i was boosted on that and i put a carbon fiber hood with a big vent on the front of it (invader i think it was called) ended up right over the turbo and i noticed a 25deg drop in engine temps. just a thought though on the boosted aspect compared to all motor.

·
Registered
250 Posts
so your taking iat temp with a short ram? try and run a cai and measure then. also by doing this mod is to lower "engine bay temps". can you measure that instead of intake temps which is measured by the maf.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thread resurrection (sorry guys!)

Aside from people discussing the aesthetics, anyone have any more info regarding optimum hood angle?

I would have to assume that if one were to have their fog lights punched out for increased airflow (adding air pressure to the engine bay), hood spacers would be a good outlet for the back end of the hood, creating a good path for air to both enter and leave the engine bay. This sort of cycling of the air could be beneficial for keeping the engine bay cooler and intake air temperatures depending upon its mounting location

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thread resurrection (sorry guys!)

Aside from people discussing the aesthetics, anyone have any more info regarding optimum hood angle?

I would have to assume that if one were to have their fog lights punched out for increased airflow (adding air pressure to the engine bay), hood spacers would be a good outlet for the back end of the hood, creating a good path for air to both enter and leave the engine bay. This sort of cycling of the air could be beneficial for keeping the engine bay cooler and intake air temperatures depending upon its mounting location
hmmmm.... i don't know about punching out the fogs cause wouldn't that just be an opening for debris to get to your engine bay. plus the plastic grid around the fog lens has little openings(for air flow I'm guessing for a cai) somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
43 Posts
nice i was considering doing the diy too since its so cheap. but seeing as you showed there is no gains to be had and there is risk in damaging your car, i might just do i hold off on it until i get bored and do it then look at it for a day then take it off(just like i do with plastidiping my wheels lol)

101 - 120 of 127 Posts